zaph

How long will Pauline remain?

22 posts in this topic

Well she hasn't got in yet, but will she?

Is she running in the QLD state election? With a lot of people not happy with the LNP and still not having forgiven Labor she might have a chance of getting one or two candidates up in the QLD election.

She warned she would not tolerate candidates riding on her “coat-tails”

but...

She runs because if she gets enough votes (4%?) then she (or her party, i.e. herself) gets electoral funding. Even if she isn't elected to parliament she pockets a tidy sum of $$$. That is why she often puts her hand up.

Even though I probably don't agree with any of her policies, I am starting to think that the real problem is career politicians and the parties, probably been reading too much Armstrong!

My current view is any independent or lunatic fringe candidate is likely to represent citizens and non-corporate interests better than any completely captured ALP, LNP or Green Apparatchik.

Even though I probably don't agree with any of her policies, I am starting to think that the real problem is career politicians and the parties, probably been reading too much Armstrong!

My current view is any independent or lunatic fringe candidate is likely to represent citizens and non-corporate interests better than any completely captured ALP, LNP or Green Apparatchik.

She seems to have moderated her views somewhat. 

In her hey day my boyfriend at the time was a journo and producer of the local John Laws type talk back show in Cairns. Any pollie wanting airtime had to go through my BF, so I met a lot of pollies - prime minister, premiers and right down to Hanson. She seemed like a nice enough woman and a bit too honest to be a pollie. She even came to the opening of gay club. 

I think a few independents and fringe members make for an interesting democracy. They can hold up a government's agenda, but there are processes to deal with that if the govt has the nuts to use them (elections, DDs).

She seemed like a nice enough woman and a bit too honest to be a pollie. She even came to the opening of gay club.

Thanks zaph, That's an insight one could not get from the mainstream media.

While my estimation of her has gone up a few hundred percent now knowing she cannot be intolerant absolutely, I still wouldn't vote for her.

That said I'm not a qld'r so it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks zaph, That's an insight one could not get from the mainstream media.

While my estimation of her has gone up a few hundred percent now knowing she cannot be intolerant absolutely, I still wouldn't vote for her.

Her apparent tolerance of homosexuals may have something to do with the strong an persistent rumours that one of her son's is gay or the fact that if she wanted to get air time with the highest rating talk back show in Cairns she needed to suck up to my then BF.

Apparently she no longer thinks we are at risk of being swamped by Asians - it's now Muslims. 

I still wouldn't vote for her.

Her party may 'swamp' WA so you may get the option. lol.

Would I want her as Prime Minster, Premier, mayor, or even the minister for fun and good times - hell no!

But I might vote (in some form) for her; but I do have unusual voting patterns. If I knew she had no chance of getting in I'd preference her 1 and then move onto my actual choice. If she had a chance of getting in but had no real influence (eg if she ran in my seat in the last QLD election) I'd still preference her 1, and consider not nominating any other preferences (QLD state elections are optional preferential voting). If she had the chance of having the balance of power, or any power at all I'd put her last. 

I tend to vote to achieve a parliament that is not too one sided. Particularly in QLD where we have no upper house. 

I also use my vote for similar reasons. In the senate here I voted the smokers rights party and I don't even smoke.

I guess my logic for that was that the amount they tax cigs now is enough and thy really should tax those able to afford it. Not those addicted to smoking, just because they think they can sell it as a sin tax. I've see. Some pretty poor families especially among other minority groups that smoke and really shouldn't, are subjecting their kids to more poverty than they should.

It's not like driving where rich people drive more than poor ;) with smoking I reckon poor people partake more than the wealthy.

I also use my vote for similar reasons. In the senate here I voted the smokers rights party and I don't even smoke.

I guess my logic for that was that the amount they tax cigs now is enough and thy really should tax those able to afford it. Not those addicted to smoking, just because they think they can sell it as a sin tax. I've see. Some pretty poor families especially among other minority groups that smoke and really shouldn't, are subjecting their kids to more poverty than they should.

It's not like driving where rich people drive more than poor ;) with smoking I reckon poor people partake more than the wealthy.

That's great that you support minor parties. But who do you put second, third, fourth...?

There's overwhelming evidence that the increased price (ie tax) of fags has a huge effect on people stopping, or not starting smoking. As a smoker I don't want to vote for increased prices of fags - but it's the single biggest detriment to smoking. As a health promotion professional I know smoking is bad and increasing taxes reduces smoking. 

It never ceases to amase me how often I see beggars on the streets asking for money, yet they often smoke and/or drink. This is why they would never get a cent out of me. My charity money will go to places like the Salvos’ instead.

That's great that you support minor parties. But who do you put second, third, fourth...?

There's overwhelming evidence that the increased price (ie tax) of fags has a huge effect on people stopping, or not starting smoking. As a smoker I don't want to vote for increased prices of fags - but it's the single biggest detriment to smoking. As a health promotion professional I know smoking is bad and increasing taxes reduces smoking. 

You can keep increasing taxes on smokes & alcohol but only up to the point that it will not create a thriving black market like Prohibition did in the US.

It never ceases to amase me how often I see beggars on the streets asking for money, yet they often smoke and/or drink. This is why they would never get a cent out of me. My charity money will go to places like the Salvos’ instead.

In Udaipur, India, a survey found that poor people had enough money to increase their food spending by as much as 30 percent, but they chose to spend it on alcohol, tobacco, and festivals instead. Duflo and Banerjee interviewed an out-of-work Indonesian agricultural worker who had been under the food-poverty line for years, but had a TV in his house.

You don’t need a Ph.D. to understand the underlying dynamic here: Cheap food is boring. In many developing countries, Duflo and Banerjee found that even the poorest people could afford more than 2,000 calories of staple foods every day. But given the choice between the fourth bowl of rice in one day and the first cigarette, many people opt for the latter.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120178/problem-international-development-and-plan-fix-it

Good article, worth a read.

Booze and smokes are pretty cheap pleasures in life really. A nicely raised chicken roasted well with side dishes of fresh veges costs a f*ck ton more than $20 for smokes and $10 of wine.

Animals need pleasure and I am guessing smokes and booze are about the only ones left to the homeless.

All things being equal if you are putting your charity towards an organisation which has been involved in the Royal Commission into Kiddie f*cking as opposed to buying someone a packet of cigarettes I am not sure your charity is working as well as maybe you would like it to. If you read the news articles you might cry a little.

Consider buying a shrink wrapped expensive quality bit of food and giving it to the homeless guy instead might be an option.

Just my opinion though.

Booze and smokes are pretty cheap pleasures in life really. A nicely raised chicken roasted well with side dishes of fresh veges costs a f*ck ton more than $20 for smokes and $10 of wine.

Animals need pleasure and I am guessing smokes and booze are about the only ones left to the homeless.

All things being equal if you are putting your charity towards an organisation which has been involved in the Royal Commission into Kiddie f*cking as opposed to buying someone a packet of cigarettes I am not sure your charity is working as well as maybe you would like it to. If you read the news articles you might cry a little.

Consider buying a shrink wrapped expensive quality bit of food and giving it to the homeless guy instead might be an option.

Just my opinion though.

I saw somebody offer a beggar a fresh apple - it was rejected!

Valid way to choose your life.

Personally my life is about me and what I do, I couldn't give a toss about other people validating my choices. "You don't like apples? I don't f*cking care I have a 3$ bag of them and am going to cram them down the mouth of everyone I see". Probably most people on the street would throw the apple away if I gave it to them.

If you offer someone food, especially people that may have slightly nervous dispositions and are still twitchy about the dick with a sledgehammer trying to kill them when they were sleeping, I would go for shrink wrapped food. Sure you could inject a poison into the food but it is less likely. I haven't had anyone turn it down myself.

And it beats the hell out of trying to corrall the f*ckers through a "Healthy Organic, Nice Shoes only" lunchtime place, psycho dicks expect the servers are in on the conspiracy anyway.

Hell I have been trying desperately to rent my house out to friends for whatever rent they are paying in their sh*tty apartments plus they get my hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of coffee, entertainment, bicycle, furniture, car etc stuff. Not a single one will take it. Does that mean that all  middle class welfare should be cut off? Maybe it means houses are too cheap. As it is I am going to have to give everything away and rent it out to the highest market bidder. Financially good for me obviously but I just don't need the money and would prefer to see a friend enjoying my life rather than the apartments they live in and complain about constantly.

People don't like charity. Add a touch of sensible precaution on their behalf and of course they throw the apple away.

If you disagree, and I know you have been looking to buy would you like to rent this house: http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/hornsby/?adid=9414175&sp=5 for anything remotely close to a family size apartment in hornsby? I have offered it to friends and there are no takers. You would feel beholden to me even though you _know_ I am insane. All of my friends are equally aware of my insanity and I have structured the deal to go through a rental broker where I pay her the same fees as if someone I didn't know rented it. All of my stuff is a gift to that person when they take tenancy (so I don't have the hassle of renting a furnished house out), they have to pass normal rental checks and so on.

I've met you, I disagree with your politics but that is no reason to not let you in a my good luck. You want it you got it.

If you say no then next time you see a reasonable quality sandwich available on your way home from work maybe consider splurging the half price deal and giving it to the next person you see.

EDIT: the spells are hards.

Edited by tor

Valid way to choose your life.

Personally my life is about me and what I do, I couldn't give a toss about other people validating my choices. "You don't like apples? I don't f*cking care I have a 3$ bag of them and am going to cram them down the mouth of everyone I see". Probably most people on the street would throw the apple away if I gave it to them.

If you offer someone food, especially people that may have slightly nervous dispositions and are still twitchy about the dick with a sledgehammer trying to kill them when they were sleeping, I would go for shrink wrapped food. Sure you could inject a poison into the food but it is less likely. I haven't had anyone turn it down myself.

And it beats the hell out of trying to corrall the f*ckers through a "Healthy Organic, Nice Shoes only" lunchtime place, psycho dicks expect the servers are in on the conspiracy anyway.

Hell I have been trying desperately to rent my house out to friends for whatever rent they are paying in their sh*tty apartments plus they get my hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of coffee, entertainment, bicycle, furniture, car etc stuff. Not a single one will take it. Does that mean that all  middle class welfare should be cut off? Maybe it means houses are too cheap. As it is I am going to have to give everything away and rent it out to the highest market bidder. Financially good for me obviously but I just don't need the money and would prefer to see a friend enjoying my life rather than the apartments they live in and complain about constantly.

People don't like charity. Add a touch of sensible precaution on their behalf and of course they throw the apple away.

If you disagree, and I know you have been looking to buy would you like to rent this house: http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/hornsby/?adid=9414175&sp=5 for anything remotely close to a family size apartment in hornsby? I have offered it to friends and there are no takers. You would feel beholden to me even though you _know_ I am insane. All of my friends are equally aware of my insanity and I have structured the deal to go through a rental broker where I pay her the same fees as if someone I didn't know rented it. All of my stuff is a gift to that person when they take tenancy (so I don't have the hassle of renting a furnished house out), they have to pass normal rental checks and so on.

I've met you, I disagree with your politics but that is no reason to not let you in a my good luck. You want it you got it.

If you say no then next time you see a reasonable quality sandwich available on your way home from work maybe consider splurging the half price deal and giving it to the next person you see.

EDIT: the spells are hards.

The odds are that if you give a beggar cash it will be mostly spent on 2 things - smokes & booze. They won't get my money!

In the senate I put a 1 in one box. To number all of them would take too long so I guess my preferences go to whoever the smokers rights party puts next.

I have no issue with sin taxes, however when they disproportionately punish people versus the cost to others in society I take issue with them. Also if a society is to have sin taxes then an attempt to tax all sins so to speak should be undertaken rather than just some

They tell us the health costs outweigh the tax however one look at the most expensive privte health cover compared to the amount paid in taxes indicates to me they are taking more than smoking in isolation costs.

To me it seems smokers are unfairly targeted because smokers are now seen as fair game by everyone in society.

Chiefly it affects an individual and I don't see reason this should be taxed. If it should be taxed than why not tax people who rock fish or sky dive. So what they take more risks but this is really a personal choice not one for society.

Yes, this is a weakness on their part and yet for me I still empathise with them. I guess having an addictive personality helps.

Hell I have been trying desperately to rent my house out to friends for whatever rent they are paying in their sh*tty apartments plus they get my hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of coffee, entertainment, bicycle, furniture, car etc stuff. Not a single one will take it. Does that mean that all middle class welfare should be cut off? Maybe it means houses are too cheap. As it is I am going to have to give everything away and rent it out to the highest market bidder. Financially good for me obviously but I just don't need the money and would prefer to see a friend enjoying my life rather than the apartments they live in and complain about constantly.

Are you leaving the humidor unlocked?