zaph

Egg surplus

14 posts in this topic

What to do with an egg surplus?

My sister lives on acreage and has too many fowl. She would easily supply a couple of doz eggs a week free. 

How do I use them all?

Omelettes, protein shakes, cakes, zucchini slice (and other vegie slices), quiches, egg sandwiches, ice cream, custard... I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Poached Eggses, prosciutto, asparagus and hollandaise sauce! Most elegant breakfast ever. If you don't know how to poach eggs so they are set on the white but super runny in the middle and are as cack handed as me you'll go through a dozen just learning that, don't do the stupid plastic poached egg makers, they are just funny shaped boiled eggs. We have a german vegetarian living with us, she had never had poached eggs and now considers it the best eggs ever.

Stephanie Alexander has a frittata recipe in her big cook book which uses a sh*t ton of eggs and I really like it (basically simmer potato slices in olive oil for half an hour, drain then chuck half a dozen or more lightly whisked eggs on top and pepper the hell out of it then cook it really slowly so it doesn't burn). Good at room temperature so long as you drain the potato well.

When I make soup (a relatively new addition to my recipe list) I always serve it with some thinly sliced raw eye fillet and super soft boiled eggs in it (again getting the perfect super soft boiled egg will take a few to work it out, I go by the eggs in cold water, bring to boil, immediately drop to simmer and time based on weight ~ 4:40 for the eggs I normally buy method) they cook in the soup and the yolk is great to dip some decent ramen noodles in as you work through.

But a couple of dozen a week sounds like you are going to have to take up boxing and do a Rocky.

Omelettes, protein shakes, cakes, zucchini slice (and other vegie slices), quiches, egg sandwiches, ice cream, custard... I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Thanks. Done omelettes, vegie slice type things, quiches, - all good for a single as they tend to freeze well. I like to make a family size dish and then freeze 4 portions for other dinners. Cakes don't freeze well and I'm not going to eat a whole cake before it goes stale! Surprisingly, I've heard ice cream freezes quite well! I'm not doing a protein shake, that sounds too close to exercise.

Never thought of ice cream, but it appears they require a sh*t load of eggs so a good idea. Also something not commonly home cooked, which I find good cooking. Got a recipe? 

Poached Eggses, prosciutto, asparagus and hollandaise sauce! Most elegant breakfast ever. If you don't know how to poach eggs so they are set on the white but super runny in the middle and are as cack handed as me you'll go through a dozen just learning that, don't do the stupid plastic poached egg makers, they are just funny shaped boiled eggs. We have a german vegetarian living with us, she had never had poached eggs and now considers it the best eggs ever.

Hollandaise from scratch or packet?

I usually do Benedict for the family on xmas morning. Sauce from scratch; smoked salmon instead of prosciutto. Normally on Turkish bread. Good way to use up two doz eggs. I've always thought hollandaise wouldn't freeze well? If it did, I could do a batch and freeze. When I make gravy I always do sh*t loads too much and then freeze in ice cube trays. 

My favourite egg (as the main attraction) dish is scrambled eggs, probably because I, and most restaurants can't do poached well. I have given up any aspirations of being able to poach eggs. At my Xmas breakfast I get dad to do the poaching and he's a wizard at it. 

Asparagus goes well with Hollandaise so I'll give it a go at xmas. 

When I make soup (a relatively new addition to my recipe list) I always serve it with some thinly sliced raw eye fillet and super soft boiled eggs in it (again getting the perfect super soft boiled egg will take a few to work it out, I go by the eggs in cold water, bring to boil, immediately drop to simmer and time based on weight ~ 4:40 for the eggs I normally buy method) they cook in the soup and the yolk is great to dip some decent ramen noodles in as you work through.

Eggs like that are really good in some soups. For one of cheapest and quickest dinners (fit for a uni student) take a packet of chicken noodle soup and add an egg.

But a couple of dozen a week sounds like you are going to have to take up boxing and do a Rocky.

See previous post about exercise and protein shakes. I don't have to take two dozen, but easily could. 

My niece (12)  told me she wanted to set up a road side stand selling eggs. They're on a popular weekend drive route, so they'd do ok. I offered to help her out but it hasn't amounted to anything. 

What would you pay for a doz eggs on the side of the road in the country?

What would you pay for a doz eggs on the side of the road in the country?

At a supermarket eggs are $3-$8 a dozen.

My niece wants to charge $5 a dozen. 

Never thought of ice cream, but it appears they require a sh*t load of eggs so a good idea. Also something not commonly home cooked, which I find good cooking. Got a recipe? 

Honey Almond is a favourite around here.

Heat up half milk, half cream. A cup of each is a reasonable starting point.

Whisk eggs yolks separately, size of eggs will make any numbers rather guess worky but say 4 yolks to start with.

Slowly add the hot (not boiling) milk/cream to the eggs while whisking. Try not to cook the eggs. If you do make some scrambled eggs.

Put custard on low heat and simmer til just before it scrambles. For your first one just go til it scrambles so you can see when it is going to next time. You want to get as close as possible as it makes a thicker ice cream in my experience.

Add honey until it is too sweet. When it freezes it gets a lot less sweet.

Chuck it in the freezer / bowl of salt & ice to get as much heat out as possible

Add chopped almonds as you churn it.

Mostly I make it quite a soft ice cream and there is rarely any left over but it does freeze well, although you'll need to let it sit on the bench for a bit before you can scoop any out.

Hollandaise from scratch or packet?

My favourite egg (as the main attraction) dish is scrambled eggs, probably because I, and most restaurants can't do poached well. I have given up any aspirations of being able to poach eggs. At my Xmas breakfast I get dad to do the poaching and he's a wizard at it. 

Hollandaise from scratch when I am showing off. However the Polish princess actually really likes one of the french ones in a jar so when I can't be arsed from scratch I use that.

Poaching eggs is easy enough if you are only doing up to 8. Just grab a dozen and poach / try and you'll get it pretty easy I reckon. the hardest thing is guessing how much further the first ones will cook while the others are made (I dislike the cold water idea for some reason).

For poaching eggs I use water, no salt, vinegar or anything.

Get it simmering

Stir with a fork so it whirlpools a bit, break egg and drop it in.

So long as the temperature is hot enough to cook them reasonably quickly without breaking them into clouds of gunge it is pretty simple and you just need to develop an eye for doneness, I use a round skimmer thing to lift the egg, wiggle it and decide.

Honey Almond is a favourite around here.

Heat up half milk, half cream. A cup of each is a reasonable starting point.

Whisk eggs yolks separately, size of eggs will make any numbers rather guess worky but say 4 yolks to start with.

Slowly add the hot (not boiling) milk/cream to the eggs while whisking. Try not to cook the eggs. If you do make some scrambled eggs.

Put custard on low heat and simmer til just before it scrambles. For your first one just go til it scrambles so you can see when it is going to next time. You want to get as close as possible as it makes a thicker ice cream in my experience.

Add honey until it is too sweet. When it freezes it gets a lot less sweet.

Chuck it in the freezer / bowl of salt & ice to get as much heat out as possible

Add chopped almonds as you churn it.

Mostly I make it quite a soft ice cream and there is rarely any left over but it does freeze well, although you'll need to let it sit on the bench for a bit before you can scoop any out.

How do you prevent ice-cream from fully freezing fully? 

High fat content? Artificial edible anti freeze? 

Hollandaise from scratch when I am showing off. However the Polish princess actually really likes one of the french ones in a jar so when I can't be arsed from scratch I use that.

Poaching eggs is easy enough if you are only doing up to 8. Just grab a dozen and poach / try and you'll get it pretty easy I reckon. the hardest thing is guessing how much further the first ones will cook while the others are made (I dislike the cold water idea for some reason).

For poaching eggs I use water, no salt, vinegar or anything.

Get it simmering

Stir with a fork so it whirlpools a bit, break egg and drop it in.

So long as the temperature is hot enough to cook them reasonably quickly without breaking them into clouds of gunge it is pretty simple and you just need to develop an eye for doneness, I use a round skimmer thing to lift the egg, wiggle it and decide.

I'll leave poaching up to someone else.

How do you prevent ice-cream from fully freezing fully? 

High fat content? Artificial edible anti freeze? 

No idea, mine freezes fully if I leave it in the freezer. Bit of time on the bench and it is good to go again though.

Not really. I have an ice-cream maker and I haven't been entirely happy with the attempts thus far. My recipes essentially involve making custard, adding flavouring (like berries), then mixing and freezing. The ice-cream tastes too much like custard.

Pickled eggs are popular in certain english pubs I have worked in. They are held in a big jar behind the bar. I have never been a fan TBH. Boil them and add them to a vinegar solution...

Personally, I would sell them. Truly fresh eggs make the best sponge cake. There is no substitute and I think you can charge a premium. You will be called on the freshness though as fresh means the whites will be blobby as opposed to watery. If I've paid for fresh and I get watery I'm going to sh*t in your sock drawer...

Pickled eggs are popular in certain english pubs I have worked in. They are held in a big jar behind the bar. I have never been a fan TBH. Boil them and add them to a vinegar solution...

Personally, I would sell them. Truly fresh eggs make the best sponge cake. There is no substitute and I think you can charge a premium. You will be called on the freshness though as fresh means the whites will be blobby as opposed to watery. If I've paid for fresh and I get watery I'm going to sh*t in your sock drawer...

Selling was my first option, but it seems my niece doesn't have the entrepreneurship skills. 

Of course they're fresh at the farm gate. By the time they get to me they're not quite. I'm not a big fan of sponge cakes.