Mr Medved

Cold War 2

15 posts in this topic

Like some others on this site I've been watching events between Russia and the USA/EU over the last several months. I thought I'd start a thread on the topic as if things spiral out of control then events would have a material impact here.

What surprises me the most is how completely and utterly useless the USA (and EU) have been and out-positioned by Russian moves on practically every occasion. Whether it be intervention in Syria, 'liberation' of Crimea, bugging and leaks of US/EU officials and Timoshenko, Turkish military officials being bugged when talking about false flags (most likely the Russians), it seems like the west is a child playing an adult's game - some of the decisions seem absolutely retarded. And that's with the backdrop of Snowden gaining asylum post-NSA leaks (which are continuing) and a potential gas deal between Russia-China sidestepping the USD.

Interesting times.

As soon as Kiev sends troops and kills dissidents in eastern Ukraine, Putin will send his troops to 'protect the russian minority' living there as he has previously stated. He will want to do it prior to the May elections in the Ukraine, whilst things are disorganised. Putin is play a very good game of chess. But it does resonate with what Hitler did with the Sudetenland and eventually he will push the west to a war.

Putin is play a very good game of chess. But it does resonate with what Hitler did with the Sudetenland and eventually he will push the west to a war.

A leader of a nation actually protecting the lives of its citizen is playing chess? Somebody is doing his job for once.

They aren't his citizens. You could maybe argue they were ex pats (although not by choice).

A leader of a nation actually protecting the lives of its citizen is playing chess? Somebody is doing his job for once.

So he should take the same approach to every country around the world that has russian citizens?

You can bet if it was known that a group of Russians in some African hole were under threat then Russia would not hesitate to send in assistance. Ukraine is such a hole.

Like some others on this site I've been watching events between Russia and the USA/EU over the last several months. I thought I'd start a thread on the topic as if things spiral out of control then events would have a material impact here.

What surprises me the most is how completely and utterly useless the USA (and EU) have been and out-positioned by Russian moves on practically every occasion. Whether it be intervention in Syria, 'liberation' of Crimea, bugging and leaks of US/EU officials and Timoshenko, Turkish military officials being bugged when talking about false flags (most likely the Russians), it seems like the west is a child playing an adult's game - some of the decisions seem absolutely retarded. And that's with the backdrop of Snowden gaining asylum post-NSA leaks (which are continuing) and a potential gas deal between Russia-China sidestepping the USD.

Interesting times.

The west have no appetite (let alone budget) for war. USSR were out manoeuvred by the west pre Glasnost by attempting to engage in a spend-a-thon to combat Reagans star wars programme. (The best bluff ever). Now it's Russia's turn. The west is busted flat. Europe is up sh*t creek and US are returning to their natural repose of isolationism after the spending all political capital on a failed Iraq war. The Afghan war may have some upside but that is hitherto unknown and with rogue Pakistani elements with a vested interest in maintaining chaos, long term success is doubtful. 

Russia has been buoyed by the Syria conflict. Chemical weapons (allegedly  :shocking:) used and no military response by the US. Rhetoric and sanctions are the only response. These achieved nothing in response to Chechnya or Georgia. Putin just hosted the winter olympics. Where is the downside for annexing eastern Ukraine?

got to remember the standard of living in the west was part of the    reward of not flipping over to  commy.  now the  cold war is lost, there is  no reason to keep  the western proles away from communism.  they lost.  and also the standard of living is no longer required to  keep us western  slaves in line. theres no where to run to.  the factories are closed i guess its the mines.

Russia has been buoyed by the Syria conflict. Chemical weapons (allegedly  :shocking:) used and no military response by the US. Rhetoric and sanctions are the only response.

It was hard to do anything (once it became public) given that the Turks were behind the gas attacks with support from the US government.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n24/seymour-m-hersh/whose-sarin

It was hard to do anything (once it became public) given that the Turks were behind the gas attacks with support from the US government.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n24/seymour-m-hersh/whose-sarin

Whilst I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility that the US will manipulate intelligence to justify their actions (one only need look at Colin Powell and the dodgy Iraq WDM rubbish presented to the UN) Every man and their dog knew that info was BS even at the time. Subsequent analysis showed that the "evidence" was garnered from one completely dubious source that German intelligence made clear to the yanks was unreliable.

I, for the life of me, can see no evidence in the article cited that Turkey were responsible let alone the US. Whether Assad was responsible or somebody else seeking to blame Assad, in the end no proof either way could be shown to justify a military strike. More importantly, US public opinion post Iraq and Afghanistan is for doing nowt. Libya showed that the US expects Europe to do more heavy lifting. 

It's appeasement for the time being. Circa 1938.

Funny how things pan out sometimes...

Mrs Medved was returning from Russia and met an interesting guy from Crimea in transit. We ended up inviting him over for dinner on the weekend.

After dinner he said he felt tired, so took a nap on our sofa. That actually enamoured me for two reasons; firstly that he feels no social remorse for taking a nap after a meal in a stranger's house in their living room, and secondly because it allowed me to take a rest too.

When he awoke he had a long conversation with my mother-in-law on skype, then we started having a chat. Turns out some of his research dabbles in "conspiracy" research so we had plenty to talk about. By about midnight I had to drive him back to his hostel so we finally talked about Crimea and some of his viewpoints.

- Russia is in imperialistic mode (like Armstrong says)
- Life was better as part of Ukraine as Crimea is now a war zone
- It's a bit like Soviet days where you can't openly talk about certain issues in public ("kitchen talk")
- Regardless of the referendum, the people have no say as to what happens, they are merely pawns
- I asked about the Donbass region but didn't fully understand his response

He definitely views that the people are powerless and their destiny is controlled by elites. He mentioned that the Romanovs were sympathetic or aligned to the Vatican, and that alignment has returned under Putin. He also talked about how the UK have always had a desire of independence from continential Europe and the Vatican, and this is part of the reason why they left the EU.

He also talked about dire straits in regional Russia, though not sure if specific to Crimea. People can't even afford to buy whole cucumbers (they buy half or quarter), apparently there is some very serious suffering for basic necessities (and alcoholism is a major problem). So it will be interesting to see if parts of Russia suffer from famine, particularly with cyclical climate change. The media is essentially gagged from reporting on this and act as government propaganda.

I've got his contact details so I might keep in touch with him to get an insider's account of life there.

1 hour ago, Mr Medved said:

Mrs Medved was returning from Russia and met an interesting guy from Crimea in transit. We ended up inviting him over for dinner on the weekend.

After dinner he said he felt tired, so took a nap on our sofa. That actually enamoured me for two reasons; firstly that he feels no social remorse for taking a nap after a meal in a stranger's house in their living room, and secondly because it allowed me to take a rest too.

When he awoke he had a long conversation with my mother-in-law on skype, then we started having a chat. Turns out some of his research dabbles in "conspiracy" research so we had plenty to talk about. By about midnight I had to drive him back to his hostel so we finally talked about Crimea and some of his viewpoints.

- It's a bit like Soviet days where you can't openly talk about certain issues in public ("kitchen talk")
- Regardless of the referendum, the people have no say as to what happens, they are merely pawns

He definitely views that the people are powerless and their destiny is controlled by elites. He mentioned that the Romanovs were sympathetic or aligned to the Vatican, and that alignment has returned under Putin. He also talked about how the UK have always had a desire of independence from continential Europe and the Vatican, and this is part of the reason why they left the EU.

He also talked about dire straits in regional Russia, though not sure if specific to Crimea. People can't even afford to buy whole cucumbers (they buy half or quarter), apparently there is some very serious suffering for basic necessities (and alcoholism is a major problem). So it will be interesting to see if parts of Russia suffer from famine, particularly with cyclical climate change. The media is essentially gagged from reporting on this and act as government propaganda.

I've got his contact details so I might keep in touch with him to get an insider's account of life there.

You got off lightly. That's the sort of nutter you never get rid of once they've set up shop. 

3 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

Considering that Putin deals with political opposition in the same manner as North Korea, I tend to believe the guy from Crimea. It also looks like Russia's economy is back to what I was with my own eyes when I was there in 1983.

I find amusing his comments regarding the UK leaving to be independent of the Vatican, considering that Blair converted to Catholicism soon after leaving office and now he is leading an anti-Brexit crusade.

It turns out our new friend from Crimea seems to be a public figure/famous in Russia. Go figure.

When he joined us for dinner we invited a fellow Russian friend to join us, but he already had other plans. When our local friend found out who it was he was absolutely kicking himself he didn't join us.