Dose

Fairfax: The Yellow Peril is upon us

537 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, zaph said:

What happened 30 years ago?

They bought up Aussie assets at a premium, their local economy tanked so sold the assets at a loss.

2 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

They bought up Aussie assets at a premium, their local economy tanked so sold the assets at a loss.

I remember reading the news where Yeppoon was being nicknamed Jappoon. :D

JAPANESE AMASS REAL ESTATE IN AUSTRALIA

I also remember that Japan was scheduled to takeover the US as the #1 economy. China is currently in the same boat, except that Trump will likely put at least a temporary stop to their ambitions by stifling their trade

Edited by cobran20

I suspect the trade war will only work to stifle the chinese growing if america gives up more in losses.

Certainly the US can afford to lose more in the game than the chinese can but I don't think it is a going to play out as a "we won, now we rule even more than before".

Given that the US version of bread and circuses is basically bread and circuses and their propaganda is now reaching close to soviet levels I can see a potential for rabid nutbaggery. When the inanely cheap huge amounts of food cease to be available to the people living below Australian standards of living in almost ever way I see a huge issue. That was basically the fervour Lech Walesa tuned into in Poland and look at the long term ramifications of that.

9 hours ago, tor said:

....When the inanely cheap huge amounts of food cease to be available to the people living below Australian standards of living in almost ever way I see a huge issue...

That won't happen because with global warming, so much more of the earth will be arable and food prices will be even cheaper. I have no doubts that we will be growing tropical food at the poles in a couple of years! :P

So you avoid the idea of the trade war being a f*ckup to big ups the global climate thing in a sarcastic manner? Cool.

14 hours ago, tor said:

So you avoid the idea of the trade war being a f*ckup to big ups the global climate thing in a sarcastic manner? Cool.

It's a matter of repeating cycles. We're at record lows in interest rates, so the odds are that they can only rise. Protection/free markets go through cycles as well. If not Trump, then someone else will have started it. We haven't had a deep recession for a while, so that is probably next on the cards as well. Since Australia is a big primary producer, then the low sunspots will kill a lot of its soft commodity exports, so that could be a catalyst. Nothing that has not happened before. History may not repeat exactly, but it rhymes.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:18 PM, tor said:

I suspect the trade war will only work to stifle the chinese growing if america gives up more in losses.

Certainly the US can afford to lose more in the game than the chinese can but I don't think it is a going to play out as a "we won, now we rule even more than before".

Given that the US version of bread and circuses is basically bread and circuses and their propaganda is now reaching close to soviet levels I can see a potential for rabid nutbaggery. When the inanely cheap huge amounts of food cease to be available to the people living below Australian standards of living in almost ever way I see a huge issue. That was basically the fervour Lech Walesa tuned into in Poland and look at the long term ramifications of that.

Most will lose in the trade war, but some will lose more than others.

China is likely to suffer more, similar in that the USA suffered more than the UK during the Great Depression. But the CCP is more blatant in its boot-stomping authoritarianism so may be able to maintain civil unrest more. The media distractions in the USA are already so bizarre it's hard to imagine there's a big delta to go full retard.

So it's a game of chicken, and I don't think either Xi or Trump are the types of guys that like to lose face by backing down.

Australia is highly attached to China so will be hit hard IMO.

Cobran - I don't believe the soils up near the arctic are good for farming. At best they will be used for grazing but then still not that great.

China might suffer more in western terms but we are comparing a country with one of the higher standards of living dropping 20 spots on that list to one which has had decimating famines in living memory (just to name one example of f*cked up stuff the gov has done in china).

I see the US citizens going mental before the chinese. Especially now that the average US citizen is vaguely aware of how sh*t life is when one major thing goes wrong for a person in the states. At the moment I think they are mostly "won't happen to me and the losers deserve it" but I think they are getting close to enough people being dumped in the losing basket to have this mindset change quickly.

Then it's guns guns guns.

3 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

Cobran - I don't believe the soils up near the arctic are good for farming. At best they will be used for grazing but then still not that great.

Can be easily fertilised with the sun dried sea weed and guano from the prolific wildlife that will exist in the soon to be tropical wonderland. :P