staringclown

How long will Tony remain

313 posts in this topic

I want to see Obeid, Tripodi, McDonald, Costa, Duncan, McGuigan, Atkinson, Kinghorn and Poole all receive justice. I want the full wrath of the law bought down upon them. 

BOF can't remember a 3K bottle of wine? That implies (to me) that BOF is receiving so much more in other gifts and gratuities that he can't remember a mere 1959 grange. The argument that pollies aren't paid enough may ring more true if gifts weren't allowed at all. When they're not declared as per the regulations that amounts to corruption. The irony is that I really didn't mind Barry...

The real problem is that Obeid is only a symptom of a larger malaise. Vested interests have far too much power over politicians and until conflicts of interests and transparency is restored democracy will be a joke.

No wonder BOF resigned!

Job offer after wine gift

Two weeks after receiving the bottle of Grange Hermitage that would lead to his resignation as premier, Barry O'Farrell was preparing to appoint the man who bought the extravagant gift, businessman Nick Di Girolamo, to a well-paid position on a government board.

A May 3, 2011, email from the director general of Mr O'Farrell's department, Chris Eccles, introduces Mr Di Girolamo to senior departmental officers as ''our replacement board member''. Attached is a biography and photograph of Mr Di Girolamo forwarded by Mr O'Farrell's then chief-of-staff, Peter McConnell.
When Mr Di Girolamo's name was raised for a board appointment in the May email, Mr O'Farrell had failed to declare that only two weeks earlier he had been the recipient of a $3000 gift from Mr Di Girolamo.
The email raises further questions about the former Premier's claim that he cannot remember the lavish gift, which the Independent Commission Against Corruption this week revealed was delivered to Mr O'Farrell's then Roseville home on April 20.

No wonder BOF resigned!

Job offer after wine gift

from the same article:

Mr Baird and then finance minister Greg Pearce signed off on the appointment of Mr Di Girolamo to a three-year $100,000 directorship of State Water Corporation.

Another new NSW premier before xmass?

from the same article:

Another new NSW premier before xmass?

Not when you can blame the entire cabinet...

Tony reacts to corruption suggestion from media:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du7bp96o8cA

Touched a nerve?  

In other news...  http://www.news.com.au/national/the-icac-investigation-that-runs-deep-into-australian-politics/story-fncynjr2-1226886684609

Mr Sinodinos himself received $200,000 for working less than 45 hours per year, the inquiry has heard, and he apparently stood to make up to $20 million from the deal with Sydney Water.  Mr Sinodinos insists he did nothing wrong.

Tony Abbott has backed the senator emphatically in public, saying he looks forward to “his restoration to the ministry”. 

“Senator Sinodinos has done the right and decent thing,” Mr Abbott said. “As you’d expect from someone who has given our country such long and faithful service.”

The more they dig, the more they find.   

The more they dig, the more they find.   

I would be surprised if either major party could produce a single member between them that could take any sort of scrutiny of there finances and 'business relationships' and emerge smelling clean. 

i look forward to a public sevice job, where i can    make deals that will earn my  private investments $20 M, where do I sign up?

1 person likes this

i look forward to a public sevice job, where i can    make deals that will earn my  private investments $20 M, where do I sign up?

You need to win the beauty pageant election first.

I would be surprised if either major party could produce a single member between them that could take any sort of scrutiny of there finances and 'business relationships' and emerge smelling clean. 

That's why elections should be funded from the public purse. As it is, donations mean a return-on-investment to the donor after the election.

That's why elections should be funded from the public purse. As it is, donations mean a return-on-investment to the donor after the election.

But currently the state funding is retrospective. Would you propose anything but retrospective funding? Perhaps something based on polling before the election? 

To propose prospective funding would be absurd. The state would have to fund the free whales party, the legalise murder party, the euthanasia party, the DLBNM party, the Zaph as emperor party, the LAHAG party etc. 

Palmer has demonstrate that the more you spend on a campaign the more chance of getting a seat/s. 

But currently the state funding is retrospective. Would you propose anything but retrospective funding? Perhaps something based on polling before the election? 

To propose prospective funding would be absurd. The state would have to fund the free whales party, the legalise murder party, the euthanasia party, the DLBNM party, the Zaph as emperor party, the LAHAG party etc. 

Palmer has demonstrate that the more you spend on a campaign the more chance of getting a seat/s. 

You'd have to tweak the system for new entrants. Perhaps they can start with donations from only individuals and up to a certain limit (eg. < $1K). But the established parties would be funded based on the number of seats they hold.The concept of donations from private sources can only result in politicians not making decisions for the best interest of the nation/state but to repay the donors.

Abolish political parties. You'll go a long way to removing 'sponsored interests'.

I  can't recall the exact details, but the Kyrgyz Parliament limits the number of representatives of any political party, such that no party can have a majority (as far as I understand). That's a different way of tackling the issue of corrupted political parties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Council_(Kyrgyzstan)

If Abbott is to go beyond one term then a few things need to occur.

There is two and a half years to recover from this budget. Without discussing the relative merits of who is doing the "heavy lifting". And assuming that self interest rules in the new Australia...

The economic indicators as measured by incumbent governments must improve.

I'm unsure whether a shock will benefit the current government or not. They will struggle to pump stimulus into a fragile economy. But given their turn on a dime promise breaking maybe not. Depends on how well they spin it.

Will the populous forget the massive breach of trust? If things improve I'll wager yes. Iron ore < 100 per tonne for an extended period maybe not. Double dissolution? No f*cking Way....

http://theconversation.com/the-government-needs-to-put-aside-its-superiority-complex-and-get-the-tin-ear-fixed-27398

Tony Abbott seems to have fallen into the same trap as Paul Keating in 1993. Keating refused to accept that John Hewson had handed him that win; he insisted on believing it was an endorsement of him and his philosophy.

Like Keating, Abbott triumphed on negatives. But now he and his colleagues think they have a mandate to transform dramatically the society and its culture, going far beyond what people expected.

There’s little sign, however, that the government has the political skills to match its ambition, or that the community shares its often uncompromising, black-and-white view of the world.

If Abbott is to go beyond one term then a few things need to occur.

There is two and a half years to recover from this budget. Without discussing the relative merits of who is doing the "heavy lifting". And assuming that self interest rules in the new Australia...

The economic indicators as measured by incumbent governments must improve.

I'm unsure whether a shock will benefit the current government or not. They will struggle to pump stimulus into a fragile economy. But given their turn on a dime promise breaking maybe not. Depends on how well they spin it.

Will the populous forget the massive breach of trust? If things improve I'll wager yes. Iron ore < 100 per tonne for an extended period maybe not. Double dissolution? No f*cking Way....

Pyne comes with a new interpretation every day of how the new tertiary assistance scheme will work and the expected rise in fees. The next Federal election is due in 2016 when the new fee structure kicks in. There will be no forgetting by the populous regarding this matter when the next election is due.

One is that to get measures operating requires dealing with a Senate that will be, after July 1, as idiosyncratic as they come.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Clive does in the new senate.

He's got that ability to work the media without coming off like a wanker. He's one tall poppy that the public don't seem to want to slay. He's a lovable rogue, I guess.

Arriving in the rolls at parliament house got him a great 1min grab. He used it politically well. 

With optional preferential voting (AKA almost no preferences), it will be interesting to see how he goes in next years QLD state election. 

First, it starts with denial...

SMH: 'Bordering on demented': Malcolm Turnbull lashes out at Andrew Bolt over leadership speculation

News Corp commentator Andrew Bolt's leadership speculation "borders on the demented" and is ''quite unhinged", says Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

In his column on Monday, Mr Bolt accused Mr Turnbull of aiding the Coalition's enemies by dining with millionaire politician Clive Palmer in Canberra last week and by launching a Parliamentary Friends of the ABC group.

Mr Turnbull's dinner with Mr Palmer sparked fears among some in the Coalition that he was attempting to destabilise Mr Abbott's leadership, according to reports.

"It borders on the demented to string together a dinner with Clive Palmer and my attending, as the Communications Minister, the launch by a cross-party group of friends of the ABC and say that that amounts to some kind of threat or challenge to the Prime Minister," Mr Turnbull told reporters on Monday.

"It is quite unhinged. Now, Mr Bolt is fond of attacking what he regards as the government's enemies in the media, principal amongst whom of course he numbers the ABC. I don't think you would see anything as crazy as that on the ABC.

"I just have to say to Mr Bolt, he proclaims loudly that he is a friend of the government. Well with friends like Bolt, we don't need any enemies."

On Monday, Mr Bolt told Fairfax Media: ''It's a great shame and quite telling that Malcolm Turnbull attacks someone he calls the government's media friend with far more vitriol than I can recall him ever attacking one of the government's media enemies.

''This fits a pattern. No doubt he [Turnbull] will expand on this in his next Q&A appearance with Tony Jones.''

Mr Abbott told The Bolt Report on Sunday there was no threat to his leadership.

"I think it's perfectly reasonable for senior members of the Coalition to talk with independent and minor party senators because ... we have a budget to get through the Parliament," he said.

Mr Abbott added that there was ''nothing wrong'' with Mr Palmer having a relationship with the Communications Minister and others.

Commenting on Mr Turnbull's speech to the Parliamentary Friends of the ABC group, Mr Bolt wrote in News Corp Australia newspapers on Monday: "This is Turnbull, on the far left of the Liberal Party, charming a constituency that hates Abbott and which would back Turnbull to replace him — even if it still wouldn't vote Liberal.

"If only Turnbull had spent half this charm fighting for Abbott's budget. Instead, some of Abbott's troops complain he's almost gone missing in action."

Mr Bolt is personally close to Mr Abbott, who famously urged him to continue as a commentator after Mr Bolt was found guilty of breaching Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Clive does in the new senate.

Me too, but not because I think Clive is a saviour. Rather because I would like to watch others squirm uncomfortably trying to account for him.

Pyne comes with a new interpretation every day of how the new tertiary assistance scheme will work and the expected rise in fees. The next Federal election is due in 2016 when the new fee structure kicks in. There will be no forgetting by the populous regarding this matter when the next election is due.

I don't see increased student fees as the main hot button issue. Even with Pynes incompetence in understanding his own policies. Unless western Sydneys aspirational voters expect their children to attain a university education. In that case it might cause some pain. But this is the world of user pays that the aspirational voter signed up for. Judging by Abbotts recent comments there will be income tax cuts before the next election (in spite of a budgetary emergency) to sweeten them up before the next election and help them to afford the extra fees. Besides they'd only end up spending their money on investment property or something... Better they can pay more for their kids education and save them getting above their station.  :lol:

Abbott can execute children in front of the parents until the next ballot. In the mean time there will be no double dissolution election. They stink now. But humans have a way of adapting. Welfare cuts will be absorbed by the next ballot and all those who've copped a hit will be feeling virtuous...

In my day we only got half the child care rebate... This generation are soft... etc....

I'm increasingly confused by Clive Palmer and PUP. A couple of weeks ago he was a climate skeptic. Today he appears with the guy who invented the internet and wants to introduce an ETS. Is there no populist train this man won't jump upon? I guess he's completely unrestricted by history (and seemingly logic) but being on the popular side of every issue will alienate as many as it attracts in the final analysis. It's not the same 70% of people supporting renewable energy targets as the 70% that want asylum seekers treated more harshly. Next week he may have changed his mind. (again)

I'm increasingly confused by Clive Palmer and PUP. A couple of weeks ago he was a climate skeptic. Today he appears with the guy who invented the internet and wants to introduce an ETS. Is there no populist train this man won't jump upon? I guess he's completely unrestricted by history (and seemingly logic) but being on the popular side of every issue will alienate as many as it attracts in the final analysis. It's not the same 70% of people supporting renewable energy targets as the 70% that want asylum seekers treated more harshly. Next week he may have changed his mind. (again)

Palmer is the perfect political chameleon who has mastered the art of blowing with the wind! He'll come undone at some stage.