staringclown

How long will Tony remain

315 posts in this topic

apparently the libs dont have a prob with HTC  installing our NBN  where as labor  wanted to  go with  western spy companies.,  libs are  asian centric now?

Surprised that this thread hasn't been revived yet.

I think everyday for the last two weeks (maybe more) I have been apalled by a new story about our beloved prime minister and his band. Is it my biased reading of the news or is this guy completely spiralling into evil gnome territory?

Does he have a strategy to this or is it just nastiness unleashed? Is this the year of nastiness, next year the year of forgetfulness and the following year the year of buying the next election? Is it all just for distraction?

There are so many paywalls now that it has the benefit of not having to waste so much time on politics. If the evil ever reached me I would leave.

Does he have a strategy to this or is it just nastiness unleashed? Is this the year of nastiness, next year the year of forgetfulness and the following year the year of buying the next election? Is it all just for distraction?

I don't own a television, buy or read newspapers, and avoid MSM online. I have no idea what you are talking about. But Abbott is a very dangerous man. Anyone who is willing to confess publicly that he has a "lust for power" is somebody who should be nowhere near positions of power or influence.

I'd hate to be living in Queensland because Campbell Newman and his band of psychos and miscreants seems even worse!

Surprised that this thread hasn't been revived yet.

I think everyday for the last two weeks (maybe more) I have been apalled by a new story about our beloved prime minister and his band. Is it my biased reading of the news or is this guy completely spiralling into evil gnome territory?

I'm ambivalent at this point.

I'm OK with the less welfare more self reliance message. It's been a long time coming.

The majority of society seems to believe that the government should spend more and not raise taxes according to an ANU poll

The treatment of asylum seekers is the most appalling aspect from my POV but I'm apparently in a minority in that belief as most believe we're not treating them harshly enough

I'm annoyed with the renewed culture war and the attacks on the ABC but none of this was unexpected.

In fact Abbott is working his way through the IPA list methodically.

Your evil gnome comment is appropriate given the governments recent borrowing of language from tolkien

Hockey: "The age of entitlement is over, the age of personal responsibility has begun"

Abbott: "the way is closed ... and as far as this government is concerned never ever will it be reopened"

The treatment of asylum seekers is the most appalling aspect from my POV but I'm apparently in a minority in that belief as most believe we're not treating them harshly enough

I have zero sympathy for asylum seekers. The free money train for them is the worst. One has to take into account that individuals of one community that has been proven to be non-civil carry the genetic profile of that non-civil segment and their migration presents a risk for the civil segment they try to join but fail to integrate into.

carry the genetic profile of that non-civil segment

You wouldn't be German would you? Your logic doesn't bode well for your future if everyone believed it.

I have zero sympathy for asylum seekers. The free money train for them is the worst. One has to take into account that individuals of one community that has been proven to be non-civil carry the genetic profile of that non-civil segment and their migration presents a risk for the civil segment they try to join but fail to integrate into.

Drunk as I am your comment still reads as gibberish. Would you care to rephrase?

You wouldn't be German would you? Your logic doesn't bode well for your future if everyone believed it.

What was that about redheads and recessive genes again?

I don't own a television, buy or read newspapers, and avoid MSM online. I have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2057654/feds-move-on-world-heritage/

Environment Minister Greg Hunt has asked that a significant portion of the 172,000-hectare extension to the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area approved by UNESCO last year be cut out, because areas "show evidence of previous disturbance, including forestry operations".

According to the Geg 'the great big' Hunt our *ahem* environmental minister, the forest has been degraded by loggers and so it shouldn;t be listed. By the same logic The Sphinx with its broken nose should be delisted too.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/31/world/asia/great-barrier-reef-dump-approved/index.html

The Australian federal government has approved a plan to dump 3 million cubic meters of dredge spoil in the Great Barrier Reef Park.

Great big Hunt strikes again.

End of age of entitlement, but not for cadbury, car lease companies, pregnant women, farmers, mining industry, housing industry, bankers.

My issue here is extreme hypocrisy, not the end to middle class welfare. Productivity report suggested that it would cost the government more to end support to SPC than to hand money over. But the politico-news Ltd coalition wants to be seen taking a hard line, which they are, except when they are not.

Attack on ABC. Unsurprising. That is what they do. More worrying is the Tony's wish that ABC would take a more patriotic angle to their reporting. Next day says that the coalition will not interfere in the programming of ABC, but that there would be a new audit of the ABCs funding....totally unrelated of course. Oh and they will probably cut the ABC in asia channel, as it is not needed, doesn't have a big enough audience etc. Reports around that Murdoch wants that broadcasting space. I looked at the Australian on the weekend and it was wall to wall attack on the ABC. 

ABC and others (fairfax) report that Navy deliberately burnt hands of asylum seekers. Tony uses this to attack the ABC. says "Sorry seems to be the hardest word for the ABC" http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/05/tony-abbott-sorry-seems-to-be-the-hardest-word-for-the-abc. Is this a deliberate echo of the coalition's inability to say sorry? Anyway it is all a diversion from bigger issues. Like shouldn't the coalition be doing its job of being an overseeing the miltary, instead of assuming they can do no wrong. According to Tony, to question the navy is unpatriotic as they are all heroes. Might be true about heroes, but everyone needs to be kept in check.

Tony wants secrecy around asylum seekers. They want you not to care about how they stop the boats. They just want you to know that they have been stopped. I could go on about attacks on democracy, nationalistic jingoism etc. Tony has only one left ball...

Haven't got to Hockey, the two Bishops, Pyne etc

Edited by Ugg

End of age of entitlement, but not for cadbury, car lease companies, pregnant women, farmers, mining industry, housing industry, bankers.

My issue here is extreme hypocrisy, not the end to middle class welfare. Productivity report suggested that it would cost the government more to end support to SPC than to hand money over. But the politico-news Ltd coalition wants to be seen taking a hard line, which they are, except when they are not.

Saying the age of entitlement is over is far more palatable than what they really mean "the age of dole bludgers and fake disabled people is over"

Andrews let slip in this article

Instead, as Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews said recently, ''This is essentially a limited review … It's about the normal things - DSP [disability support pension], Newstart, that sort of thing, basically.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/end-of-an-age-to-bring-little-joy-20140208-328fa.html#ixzz2sykSVUu1

Saying the age of entitlement is over is far more palatable than what they really mean "the age of dole bludgers and fake disabled people is over"

Pretty phucked up that you can't come straight out and say that for risk of offending said bludgers.

This is actually going to be a huge issue over the next 5 or 10 years I think.

If the people claiming that Uber has dropped US car sales by eleventy million are correct then that would explain the car companies shutting down here because surely the CEO's of those companies have an absolute bucketload of research going on.

Replace Uber with autonomous cars and there goes every taxi driver, probably some 70% of cars and associated industry.

Which is all good, more efficient use of resources and all.

But obviously almost every industry is ripe for the taking in this process. An increase in connectivity between devices can only accelerate the process. Look at how many people were on the net in 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000 and now. A certain number get connected and it hits the threshold where _everyone_ has to be or suffer personal consequences (this is not my idea of course, it is regarded as the network effect and generally regarded as true by lots of people that I read).

If we posit a network effect in the replacement of "people do labour for money" to "something else" then we have a significant short term issue if the popular "dole bludger" idea is maintained. The (involuntary) early adopters of the leisure lifestyle are going to be heavily stigmatised and not supported. Meanwhile the rich / poor divide will grow as people are replaced by computers and the profits go to an increasingly small group of people (and I laugh heartily at the idea that the shareholders will demand those profits).

In the long term of course the issue resolves itself so long as the stigmatised don't hit a critical threshold for revolution.

I think you might have taken us at face value on that one. We were all pointing out that the mention of getting sunburned at 0600 was somewhat incongruous in an article about housing affordability. Best joke ever? no.

However you saying "I have zero sympathy for asylum seekers" based on the logic that they carry the same genes as the people that made their society non-civil doesn't seem like an attempt at a joke.

As an argument it fails because:

1. There is no link between behaviour at a macro level and genetics

2. Even if there was an awful lot of the non-civil people are of a different ethnic group to the asylum seekers

3. If the asylum seekers were the same genotype as the non-civil people and the genotype carried the roots of the non-civilness then the asylum aspect is irrelevant

As you are german you are, by your logic, carrying the same genes as arguably one of the most non-civil societies to have graced this planet, it doesn't matter if you came here by yourself or whatever, you have declared yourself a potential hitler.

If it was intended as a joke then you have some of the worst comedic delivery ever.

As you are german you are, by your logic, carrying the same genes as arguably one of the most non-civil societies to have graced this planet, it doesn't matter if you came here by yourself or whatever, you have declared yourself a potential hitler.

If it was intended as a joke then you have some of the worst comedic delivery ever.

It wasn't a joke. Germans don't kid. Adolf Hitler was Austrian. I am not doubting Germans are non-civil but we offset that with our unlimited amount of intelligence, charm and sex appeal.

Edited by sydney3000

Tor's post reads as tongue in cheek whereas yours reads as support for eugenics! We know tor's posting style. You my friend _need_ emoticons. At least until you establish a pattern for your humour or you are banned. In the mean time I will pay the hilarious "intelligence, charm and sex appeal" post.  :) 

At least until you establish a pattern for your humour or you are banned. 

I didn't think Germans had a sense of humour. :P

Die Gorillas are an exception... at least when I saw them in Berlin a decade ago.

Man, I'm over commentators telling me what an honourable chap Barry O'Farrell is for falling on his sword. 

Perhaps he shouldn't be accepting $3k bottles of wine in the first place from people seeking favours? Maybe it's de rigueur to be giving each other $3k bottles of wine between friends in government?

As a federal public servant I'm not allowed to accept gifts. Particularly from people from whom I made decisions regarding spending of tax payer funds. I'm required to declare not only actual conflicts of interest but perceived conflicts of interest. This is a policy that I agree with wholeheartedly as it protects all parties including myself from allegations of corruption. 

Apparently, politicians can be trusted not to abuse their position of trust and no such regulations designed to avoid corruption apply the them (as fellow public servants). Gifts are allowed provided they declare them on a pecuniary interests register. Barry O'Farrell failed on this score as well. He did not declare the gift and then he denied that he had received it. 

All may have gone on a la the amnesiac Sinodinos had a thank you note not emerged. To be fair Barry is not the worst of crooks. He's no Obeid for instance. He has done the honourable thing. He may have even genuinely forgot! (though I personally doubt it)

But damn, I can't stand the vanguard of commentariat coming out and attacking ICAC. Gerard Henderson in particular with his faux outrage. Abbott is also keen to distance corruption from the Liberals but I'm sorry peeps. They are every bit as compromised by vested interests as Labor. 

Man, I'm over commentators telling me what an honourable chap Barry O'Farrell is for falling on his sword. 

Perhaps he shouldn't be accepting $3k bottles of wine in the first place from people seeking favours? Maybe it's de rigueur to be giving each other $3k bottles of wine between friends in government?

As a federal public servant I'm not allowed to accept gifts. Particularly from people from whom I made decisions regarding spending of tax payer funds. I'm required to declare not only actual conflicts of interest but perceived conflicts of interest. This is a policy that I agree with wholeheartedly as it protects all parties including myself from allegations of corruption. 

Apparently, politicians can be trusted not to abuse their position of trust and no such regulations designed to avoid corruption apply the them (as fellow public servants). Gifts are allowed provided they declare them on a pecuniary interests register. Barry O'Farrell failed on this score as well. He did not declare the gift and then he denied that he had received it. 

All may have gone on a la the amnesiac Sinodinos had a thank you note not emerged. To be fair Barry is not the worst of crooks. He's no Obeid for instance. He has done the honourable thing. He may have even genuinely forgot! (though I personally doubt it)

But damn, I can't stand the vanguard of commentariat coming out and attacking ICAC. Gerard Henderson in particular with his faux outrage. Abbott is also keen to distance corruption from the Liberals but I'm sorry peeps. They are every bit as compromised by vested interests as Labor. 

BOF was an idiot for not declaring the bottle when he first received it, Then, amnesia or not, he would have been in the clear, As it turned out, he had no choice but to resign based on his bout of amnesia, IMO, Sinodinos is on the nose as well. Still,BOF's crime is insignificant when compared to the previous Labor mafia. If Obeid, Tripodi, McDonald & Costa escape unscathed (or only with minor changes) from the ICAC's findings, it will be a sad day for NSW tax payers.

BOF was an idiot for not declaring the bottle when he first received it, Then, amnesia or not, he would have been in the clear, As it turned out, he had no choice but to resign based on his bout of amnesia, IMO, Sinodinos is on the nose as well. Still,BOF's crime is insignificant when compared to the previous Labor mafia. If Obeid, Tripodi, McDonald & Costa escape unscathed (or only with minor changes) from the ICAC's findings, it will be a sad day for NSW tax payers.

I want to see Obeid, Tripodi, McDonald, Costa, Duncan, McGuigan, Atkinson, Kinghorn and Poole all receive justice. I want the full wrath of the law bought down upon them. 

BOF can't remember a 3K bottle of wine? That implies (to me) that BOF is receiving so much more in other gifts and gratuities that he can't remember a mere 1959 grange. The argument that pollies aren't paid enough may ring more true if gifts weren't allowed at all. When they're not declared as per the regulations that amounts to corruption. The irony is that I really didn't mind Barry...

The real problem is that Obeid is only a symptom of a larger malaise. Vested interests have far too much power over politicians and until conflicts of interests and transparency is restored democracy will be a joke.