staringclown

How long will Tony remain

313 posts in this topic

We could probably combine the Turnstile and Abbott threads as their fate grows increasingly entwined. 

I have a wager with a friend that Turnstile isn't just a placeholder for the election win to be replaced shortly after again by Abbott. Clive Palmer posed the same question in parliament last week. I think that scenario is too fantastical which is why I have bet against it. 

Libs to abandon any changes to NG?

Abbott praises Turnbull on his evidence free attacks on Labor's grandfathering of NG and CGT cuts as brilliant. Advocates spending cuts to tax rises. If Malcolm buckles on all NG changes it will prove beyond any doubt he is a captive to the right. At the same time it gives him carte blanche to continue the scare campaign. 

If Turnbull follows Abbott's advice and pursues spending cuts in the budget in an election year the polls will become a whole lot more competitive. Just ask Campbell Newman. Super concessions are in for a hammering in the budget IMHO.

Whether the NG debate has an impact depends on how aspirational the punters are still feeling versus aspirations (and cost) to them via the the equation of subsidising their offspring in the housing affordability debate. Turnbull seems to be assuming responsibility for ever rising property prices and guaranteed returns for PIs. This is a dangerous strategy long term. But what politician thinks long term?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-refuses-to-comment-on-peta-credlin-affair-claims-in-new-book-20160305-gnbdvb.html

Was TA banging his secretary? High price for a bit of loving. To quote Breaking bad, I reckon Peta would have a coochie like a wood chipper. 

If it is true, it could be an expensive divorce and TA might be left with only his bike & budgies!  ^_^

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-refuses-to-comment-on-peta-credlin-affair-claims-in-new-book-20160305-gnbdvb.html

Was TA banging his secretary? High price for a bit of loving. To quote Breaking bad, I reckon Peta would have a coochie like a wood chipper. 

Not a bad diversionary tactic from the current bunch. 

It can't have been in response to Abbott's recent prognostications though. A book takes months to organise.

Savva's husband has a job in the Turnbull camp. She had Credlin on the blower to her editor asking for her removal during the Abbott era. She wrote about the dysfunction and made enemies. 

I don't think the affair (if there was any) is the main game. Payback and fightback against the right in the ongoing battle for the broad church of the LNP seems more likely.  

It will only serve to inflame Abbott's rage even more. I'll wager someone's had a word with Abbott after last weeks defence leak. He's now claiming that he wants a Turnbull win. At the same time he's still seeking to drive policy toward spending cuts with his five taxes rhetoric.

The only way for Turnbull to rid himself of this turbulent priest is to win an election in his own right. If he gets the senate voting reforms through my moneys on a July 2nd election.

"There are some changes but fundamentally the Turnbull government is seeking re-election on the record of the Abbott government," Mr Abbott told Sky News on Monday night.

"It's very easy for me to campaign for the re-election of the Turnbull government because the Turnbull government is running on the Abbott government's record and it's a very strong record."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-is-running-on-my-governments-record-tony-abbott-20160321-gnnrtv.html

The Honourable Tony Abbott has issued an urgent press release to inform Australians everywhere that he has accepted a new title, bestowed by his own esteemed self, as Prime Minister at Large.

Mr Abbott, a former journalist, said there was ample precedent for such a title.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-hon-tony-abbott-prime-minister-at-large-explains-his-latest-position-20160322-gnopol.html

Satire or prediction?  

Further to that. I'll wager they've promised Japan the submarine contract quid pro quo for the free trade agreement and the automotive spend is placating SA MP's... 

The French got it.

...It will be Australia’s biggest and most complex defence procurement, costing as much as $150 billion over the life of the project...

It is yet another custom product rather than buying a proven 'off the self' one. Given the Collins class fiasco, I expect the above projected cost & time will blow out in multiples, like the F35.

History repeating itself....

A bit more  white-anting on Turnbull before making a move?

Former prime minister Tony Abbott reportedly tells Tories he can win back the top job

I don't think Mal will lead the libs to the next election, or big ears either. What's the alternative? Julie Bishop is obvious. I think that sniggering little bitch, Christopher Pyne has eyes on the throne. 

I don't think Mal will lead the libs to the next election, or big ears either. What's the alternative? Julie Bishop is obvious. I think that sniggering little bitch, Christopher Pyne has eyes on the throne. 

The Terminator?

The Terminator?

That would be a great contest!

The Terminator vs the Abbottible No-man.

Sorry about the bad pun :(

Edited by AndersB