staringclown

How long will Tony remain

317 posts in this topic

Six months ago, the Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, begged his Liberal colleagues for another chance to restore his, and his party's fortunes. He promised he would change. He promised more consultation, and a lot less reliance on his own judgment, fewer "captain's picks," a shift of focus and less occasion for voters to hate him.

A good many backbenchers had completely lost faith in his leadership and his judgment. They had come to conclude, (reluctantly, because they had wanted him to win) that he could not change his character, his temperament or his style. He had shown a repeated tin ear for public opinion and what the electorate would wear. They might admire him, or give him some credit for being a tireless scrapper. No one trusted his instincts any more. Nor did they trust those who did his staff work.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/australia-needs-a-new-prime-minister-20150813-giyxlz.html#ixzz3jro85IFL 

Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

The LNP have wedged themselves with their focus on the RGR government "knifings". They run the risk of their previous statements coming back to bite them. Even so I don't think they can win with Abbott so they will probably dump him at some point. A 12 point swing in Canning may happen but I doubt it. Even if it's > 8% swing it's going to scare the bejesus out of marginal seat holders.

For me his demise can't come quick enough... Worst PM ever. 

The LNP have wedged themselves with their focus on the RGR government "knifings". They run the risk of their previous statements coming back to bite them.  

I think Labor has too - wrongly. Public perception about knifing a sitting PM is very different to knifing an opposition leader. If only leaders could realise when their used by date has arrived? 

Even so I don't think they can win with Abbott so they will probably dump him at some point. A 12 point swing in Canning may happen but I doubt it. Even if it's > 8% swing it's going to scare the bejesus out of marginal seat holders.

ATM Labor would have to stuff up big time to lose, or TA would have to change vastly. TA has proven that he can't change. Labor are doing pretty well considering they have a limp Richard for a leader. 

For me his demise can't come quick enough... Worst PM ever.

Ditto.

He is incapable of negotiating, which is arguably a good thing in opposition. But when you're a sitting government with a gaggle of geese in the senate you need to be able to negotiate to get anything passed. 

I do like how he is trying to understand ATSI issues however. He's not doing a stellar job, but at least he's trying. Apart from token measures, or hardline approaches no other PM has done a damn thing. 

I don't get the same sense that the LNP are terminal if they punt Abbott. I think the public would be more relieved than anything else. Shorten had better pray that Abbott doesn't get replaced.

I don't get the same sense that the LNP are terminal if they punt Abbott. I think the public would be more relieved than anything else. Shorten had better pray that Abbott doesn't get replaced.

In the same way which the people thought replacing Kevin with Julia will change direction people think changing Tony with somebody else will change direction. It is not the leader but the party (or even the population) that steers this ship.

Edited by sydney3000

In the same way which the people thought replacing Kevin with Julia will change direction people think changing Tony with somebody else will change direction. It is not the leader but the party (or even the population) that steers this ship.

True that the party itself seems dominated by the far right and moderates seem marginalised. In fully expect Scott Morrison to replace Abbott in the case of a spill rather than Turnbull. The people vote for self interest. The LNP need to convince more that their self interest is better served by voting LNP. They can only do this by scaring people into that choice. Which isn't doing that well for them at the moment. Or bribing them. This has a much greater chance of success. To the detriment of the economy...

Labor has fuelled speculation it is more concerned with ensuring Tony Abbott remains Liberal leader than winning the Canning byelection, mounting what has been reported to federal cabinet as a low profile campaign in the West Australian seat.

Cabinet ministers discussed the byelection when they met on Tuesday, with deputy Liberal leader Julie Bishop telling her colleagues the local campaign being run by Labor was less intense than expected.

It has raised questions on whether the ALP would rather see Mr Abbott remain leader than win Canning in an upset. 

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/is-labor-running-dead-in-canning-to-protect-tony-abbott-20150901-gjd1m5.html#ixzz3kbwIPSEv 

Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

Smart tactic if it's true. 

I'll bet their candidate is happy about that. Unless he's been offered a safe seat down the track of course... Labor rolled a decent senator is Tassie in favour of a union candidate recently. They really haven't changed their spots and they really need to. 

The libs seem set to throw Hockey under the bus in the hope of saving things. It won't. TA is still driving the bus at 200k in a school zone. 

Get your bets on. One thing is for sure. Only one can survive.

I hope it's MT. He needs to win well or the revenge from the LNP right will make Turnbull's leadership terminal.

I think people have to remember that Turnbull is loved by Labor voters. They will still vote labor a lot of the time. The only real question is just how badly Abbott has f*cked the party reputation as opposed to his own. I feel it is his own rather than the party.

I think people have to remember that Turnbull is loved by Labor voters. They will still vote labor a lot of the time. The only real question is just how badly Abbott has f*cked the party reputation as opposed to his own. I feel it is his own rather than the party.

I think MT can win the next election if a repetition of the undermining of the Gillard years doesn't happen.  Which is why I think an early election will be inevitable. I can't believe Andrew Robb was touted as in danger in a reshuffle last week. If Abbott leaked it, it was a real misstep. He's one of the few performers in the current rabble. We have a half day strike tomorrow. If Abbott loses I envision a carnival atmosphere...  :wine:

I predict the cabinet will look distinctly different from todays in the event of MT winning.

What will it mean for the greens? They may have been gaining the small l liberals. Will they return with MT?

I would need a big big flush before I'd vote liberal, just to be sure the nasties are gone. MT could easily be rolled once he won the next election. Flush.

Edited by Ugg

TA promised to serve his term immediately after the coup. Now he's saying he'll make up his mind by Xmas. The media does nothing to call out his BS. I guess he expected a ministership and now he hasn't got it is going to cash in his chips. 

He's probably negotiating what post he gets in exchange for not white anting. It would be embarrassing for Australia if he get's any OS post. The man's a thug. 

Did he write it down? He's already white anting. The lack of self awareness in him is gobsmacking.

It would be embarrassing for Australia if he get's any OS post. The man's a thug. 

Oh you small minded fool. The Australian public would love it, and the rest of the world would reinforce their opinions of The Good Australians.

It is just the choice of location that makes it a Pitiful Political Payoff as opposed to a Clever Retaliation.

I say ambassador to Ukraine. Those poor f*ckers would love to see someone else catch Putins machinations. How do you shirtfront a guy that prefers not to wear a shirt?

Goldman Strikes Again: Did A Probe Into "Global Warming" Fraud Cost A Prime Minister's Job

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-26/did-goldman-sachs-sacrifice-australias-prime-minister-his-doubts-about-global-warmin

Are they seriously claiming that the illuminati let him get into power despite claiming that global warming was a fraud and then only once he was in power they decided to take him out for claiming it was a fraud?

This is the kind of weak arse logic that makes so many of the US people easy to ignore completely despite the fact they have interesting information in other areas. I am sure other people do it too but the US'ians just seem capable of taking it to a level which is so impressive.

Remember that 30% of republicans said they would never under any circumstances vote for trump as president. That means in US politics he will definitely lose if he gets the primary. He will lose by about 30% (if those republicans vote for the democrat) or by 15% if they just don't vote.

Oh you small minded fool. The Australian public would love it, and the rest of the world would reinforce their opinions of The Good Australians.

It is just the choice of location that makes it a Pitiful Political Payoff as opposed to a Clever Retaliation.

I say ambassador to Ukraine. Those poor f*ckers would love to see someone else catch Putins machinations. How do you shirtfront a guy that prefers not to wear a shirt?

Lol. Perhaps we could get him a gig in Syria?

Are they seriously claiming that the illuminati let him get into power despite claiming that global warming was a fraud and then only once he was in power they decided to take him out for claiming it was a fraud?

I think ZH lacks local knowledge and was trying to join some dots. It did come across a bit loony.