Guest Sacamento

Sign the SMH petition to get NSW Labor out

18 posts in this topic

A generalised statement I know.

Many will probably disagree with me.

While selfishness is entrenched in the human condition, it doesn't really matter what person/s you give the power to.

The individual, and corporate bodies will simply look out only for themselves.

There are many good politicians, who start their political careers with sincere intentions to genuinely serve their constituents.

Unfortunately the perks of the job, and the overwhelming obstacles of having to make decisions for fickle human beings, wear down that resolve, and they resort to purely aesthetic changes, and merely tinker with the edges.

It has been my privilege to know many politicians personally, including a number of ministers, and they are generally well-meaning human beings.

But the system simply grinds them into powder, and they eventually throw up their hands in despair, that it's all too hard.

I know it looks easy from the outside, as to what they should do, or shouldn't do, but when you are in the mosh-pit, its not so cut and dried.

When they reach that stage though, the temptation to simply feather one's own nest, gets the better of a lot of them.

Further, power is an addictive lolly. Just watch the stop/go person on road works, how much power they wield with a simple sign.

Politicians fall under its spell, and forget that true power is only received power. The power that others grant you.

Politicians may give all the signals of knowing that, but they prefer to take power. Party room brawls, are the result.

For all the politicians who are struggling to maintain their credibility and integrity, I salute you.

But human beings are a hard herd to control. (Just ask the moderators on this forum)

I think that's because you and I are just as selfish too.

We only want what's good for "me"

End of rant.....

Lebanese born power broker and graftmaster Eddie Obeid has been in NSW parliament since 1991; Joe Tripodi since 1995; Frank Sartor 2003; and John Della Bosca 1999.

NSW has had plenty of opportunities to ditch Labor via the polling booth in those ensuing years.

I don't know. I want Kristina to give it a red hot go. The NSW government is great entertainment and it would be sad to see the term finish early and miss out on more stuff-ups. If we are lucky the state of NSW might throw a spanner into Kevin Rudd's plans. You have to realise that the further down the state falls the bigger the potential recovery will be.

This thread is 4 years old an Eddie is still making news. IMO, whilst this continues NSW Labor's chances of gaining power at the next election are 'limited' as best.

SMH: Eddie Obeid faces three new ICAC inquiries

The Independent Commission Against Corruption will hold three further inquiries into the activities of former Labor politician Eddie Obeid.

In Operation Cyrus, the corruption watchdog will investigate allegations that, between 2000 and 2011, Mr Obeid misused his position as an MP to gain advantages for his family, who secretly held the leases of a string of cafes at Circular Quay.

It is also alleged that during that time, certain public officials improperly exercised their official functions to benefit Mr Obeid or his family.

Last year Fairfax Media revealed that the Obeids secretly owned three prime waterfront cafes at Circular Quay.

AdvertisementFormer minister Carl Scully said that after the government had completed an exhaustive tender process in 2000, Mr Obeid had sought an extension to one of the leases - but did not tell him of his family's involvement.

"I flatly refused this request," Mr Scully told Fairfax Media. "This was not well-received and ... Eddie became quite angry. It was only after I left politics that an allegation was made to me that Eddie had at the time in question a direct commercial interest. If the allegation is true, then it would explain the overreaction to my decision."

Another former minister, Eric Roozendaal, told Fairfax Media Mr Obeid had discussed the leases with him but did not disclose his interest.

Mr Obeid is also alleged to have misused his position as an MP between 2005 and 2008 to influence public servants to make decisions favourable to Direct Health Solutions (DHS), without disclosing that he and his family had an interest in that company. Fairfax Media has previously revealed that the former Labor powerbroker arranged private meetings with the former state treasurer Michael Costa to advance the business interests of DHS, which was secretly owned by his family.

DHS, which secured hundreds of thousands of dollars in government contracts, operates a sick-leave system designed to reduce absenteeism.

Although Mr Obeid claimed to have no part in any of his family's businesses, Mr Obeid's 2008 diary contained this entry: "Paul Dundon, Direct Health Solutions - police, education, Corrective Services, dept community services."

Fairfax Media's investigations revealed that DHS was paid $150,000 by the Education Department, $30,000 for a 15-day consultancy to the NSW Police, and almost $34,000 by Corrective Services for managing sick leave from 2005 until 2008.

The third part of the inquiry will examine allegations that, between 2007 and 2008, Mr Obeid misused his position to persuade public servants to grant water licences at the family's property, Cherrydale Park, without disclosing that he, his family or a related entity had an interest in the licences.

Cherrydale Park, in the Bylong Valley, near Mudgee, was at the centre of ICAC's sensational inquiry into Mr Obeid and the corrupt granting of coal exploration licences.

Mr Obeid was found to have acted corruptly in relation to the granting of coal exploration licences which delivered a $30 million windfall to his family.

Because of this earlier corruption finding, ICAC has appointed retired Supreme Court judge Anthony Whealy to preside over the fresh Obeid matters.

Former ICAC commissioner Ian Temby, QC will be counsel assisting.

The worrying bit is how this all eventually plays out.   I will not vote for a mainstream party, not these days, anyway.  I know there are a few here that make good arguments my position is selfish and silly, but my vote is one thing I control.   Tony?  No.  Labor?  Absofrickinlootly not.

Extend that sentiment a bit, add some unemployment and chronic cronyism.  Then extend the rich/poor divide and/or destroy a younger middle-class.  

We're nearly there.

Politics is such that the better man / woman does not win.  This creates difficult outcomes.

It's the universal law of conservation of the middle class. As one person in china or india achieves middle class status another person in say the US or here must lose their own. Just take a look at tonights Foreign Correspondent episode...

1 person likes this

I cannot read blogs on the internet, drink scotch and watch TV at the same time. You know that.

Will see if I can get it online...

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=Corp_TV-iview%7CForeignCorrespondent_AdWords_:abc%20foreign%20correspondent_e_g_19619419879_&gclid=CJrlopiwqroCFQ5gpQod1wQA6w#/view/47286

Yep, that is the USA I remember.  The hollowing out of the middle class is new, though, and I don't think that has worked its way through.  20 years ago this was not the reality and those kis are just now hitting their stride.

The gerrymandering of the Congress is also coming to light.  But...will people vote for real change or just go their own way?  Democrats voted against the latest gun control legislation...it is insane over there.

It is interesting that in the last election I was talking with a number of expats that could not vote Tony because they've seen this show before...and Labor seems so hopelessly dysfunctional they could not vote for that, either.    The locals had none of these issues...

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=Corp_TV-iview%7CForeignCorrespondent_AdWords_:abc%20foreign%20correspondent_e_g_19619419879_&gclid=CJrlopiwqroCFQ5gpQod1wQA6w#/view/47286

Yep, that is the USA I remember.  The hollowing out of the middle class is new, though, and I don't think that has worked its way through.  20 years ago this was not the reality and those kis are just now hitting their stride.

The gerrymandering of the Congress is also coming to light.  But...will people vote for real change or just go their own way?  Democrats voted against the latest gun control legislation...it is insane over there.

It is interesting that in the last election I was talking with a number of expats that could not vote Tony because they've seen this show before...and Labor seems so hopelessly dysfunctional they could not vote for that, either.    The locals had none of these issues...

I struggled with the same issue last election. 

How do you think the GOP will fare in the 2014 senate election? A decreasing middle class of aspirational voters can't bode well. The tea party however may prosper as they're looking for someone to blame. 

I believe that the Tea Party hurt themselves a lot with the shutdown. Although I have been out of the news cycle for a bit (that sounds better than "I haven't watched the Daily Show in a while" right)

I struggled with the same issue last election. 

How do you think the GOP will fare in the 2014 senate election? A decreasing middle class of aspirational voters can't bode well. The tea party however may prosper as they're looking for someone to blame. 

Courtesy of the shenanigans of the NSA being made public and the debt ceiling amongst other things, I expect that disempowered voters will look at alternatives to the main parties. I wouldn't be surprised for the Taxed Enough Already Party to gain further popularity at the next election.

The Pea Party is full of wild-eyed wing nuts.   They get some air time, some additional interests / legitimacy and then someone opens their mouth and reveals all.   They appeal to the fervent but I doubt will ever get traction beyond king-makers of some cowed moderate.   It is difficult for most of us to understand the situation over there. The polarisation is far greater than here...democrats are accused of scheming a complete welfare state and the republicans are god-fearin-gun-toten old white men with their trophy wives.   And the scary thing is those generalisations often fit.    There is no middle in the USA.    

In my experience Australia, Canada, Britain...parties lean to the middle because that is where the power lies.   In the USA the middle is no-man's-land.

As things get more polarised in the USA politics seem get weirder!    http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-04-19/opinions/38674850_1_gun-background-gun-lobby-background-checks

Add guns, God, racial tension and crushing urban poverty and you get what we're witnessing now.  It can only get worse.

IMO, the only valid option that the government could have made.

The NSW government has announced it will cancel lucrative coal licences at the centre of corruption inquiries involving former ministers Ian Macdonald and Eddie Obeid, and deny the companies who own them any compensation....

Absolutely the only choice. When will we see these guys in court?

Looks like Eddie will loose his $30m!  :thumbup:

link

The state government is set to pass extraordinary laws to strip corrupt former Labor minister Eddie Obeid and his family of at least $30 million in profits from a coal deal at the centre of a historic corruption probe...

Looks like Eddie will loose his $30m!  :thumbup:

link

Great, now where's the jail time?

Steal a $500 TV from Harvey Norman, go directly to jail.

Steal $30 million from the government, pay it back (if you get caught).

Great, now where's the jail time?

Steal a $500 TV from Harvey Norman, go directly to jail.

Steal $30 million from the government, pay it back (if you get caught).

Jail time will presumably be handed out after the trial by the judge. This was just the government taking away his earnings in advance.