staringclown

Axing salary sacrifice on vehicles the thin end of the wedge?

84 posts in this topic

Both parties are behaving very strangely with the party of the free market advocating extravagant parental leave, direct action on climate change rather than a market based solution.

:thumbsup:

Labor are running around trying to out bastardise the liberals in a race to the bottom with asylum seekers. In fact we've reached the bottom some time ago and started digging

:furious: Two bible thumpers too :furious:

Policy on the run versus no policies at all.

:thumbsup:

Neither at this point.

:cheers::notworthy:

Watch his guy make a killing on polling day:

ar124378027752755.gif

I fail to understand how anybody could think that a country such as Australia with only about 22m inhabitants can seriously sustain multiple car manufacturers that mostly sell to the local market. wacko.gif

Germany 4x our population, car production 27x ours.

Sth Korea 2.5x our population, car production 22x ours.

Canada 1.5x our population, car production 12x ours.

Spain 2.5x our population, car production 9.5x ours.

France 3x our population, car production 9.4x ours.

Britain 3x our population, car production 7.5x ours

Italy 2.9x our population, car production 3.2x ours (similar ratio, better cars)

Belgium 0.5x our population, car production 2.5x ours

Sweden 0.4x our population, car production 0.8x ours

Austria 0.3x our population, car production 0.7x ours

Whats the viability? They all export quality products.

Who would buy a VF Commodore Calais for $50,000 when for that price even in our off peak AUD in Europe/UK you are talking 5 series BMW and you've gone passed a C class Merc and now looking at an E Class with bells and whistles.

That $50,000 BMW magically becomes a $95,000 when it hits our shores. Just like the $15,000 Renault becomes a $30,000 on hitting the shores.

Hopefully if the local car industry goes under I can buy a car overseas and I don't have to park it for 12 months. Get a 2yr old XF Jag for $30K instead of $75K and no tariffs :cheers::thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxury_Car_Tax

LCT is charged in addition to the Goods and Services Tax (GST), but it is not payable on the full price of the vehicle. LCT is only payable at the rate of 33% (up from 25% as of 1 July 2008, though no senate approval for this increase was obtained) of the value of the GST-exclusive value which exceeds the LCT threshold. The LCT threshold is currently $60,316.00 AUD (for the 2013-14 financial year). An increased threshold of $75,375.00 AUD applies to fuel efficient cars that have a combined fuel consumption rating not exceeding 7 litres per 100 kilometres (based on a combined test cycle rating under ADR81).

dont forget the snap descission to give tax credts of half the purchase price of new cars by business during th GFC. im sure cool hand crudd als saved the motor industry back then. yeah im of the opinion of f*ck it, if they cant run a business as capitalists , f*ck off to the dole cue,

This is my biggest beef whenever I see dole bludgers pilloried in the public arena. The people with their hands deepest in the taxpayers pocket get a free pass, or are in a position to defend themselves.

Italy 2.9x our population, car production 3.2x ours (similar ratio, better cars)

I presume you weren't talking about how well they're put together? happy.gif

Who has gained one of the worst reputations?

Cherry pick by the media. Volkswagen group sell 9.9 million units a year (VW, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, Skoda, Lambo, Ducati, Scania etc) . Affected Australian vehicles: 26,000 on the 7sp DSG 2008-2011. That early 7sp DSG with the Borg Warner box was know to be a lemon and was nothing on Toyota's global woes. Any new technology has an issue with its first variants.

I remember my dad telling me in the 70s to avoid Automatics because they are unreliable and expensive to fix. :schmoll:

All the Passat and Golf drivers I know are very very happy and will buy again. Their Diesel engines are superb. My Audi has a manual 6sp. :yes:

Who has a problem?

2009-2011...By then, the worldwide total number of cars recalled by Toyota stood at 9 million

3 weeks ago...

Toyota Recalls 185,000 Vehicles

11 months ago...

Toyota recalls RAV4s after crashes (65,000 in Oz)

You just can't make this up. He is amazing.

Same old Rudd looks for FBT escape

Under one option, a local, state or federal public service agency which buys a Ford, Toyota or Holden would be eligible for a $3000 rebate.

Balancing budgets and fixing rorts?

However, the major point that must be made in all of this today is not about the details of the policy. It is about the policy process itself.

Kevin Rudd has shown one great policy process failing since he rose to the prime ministership that has caused nearly all of Labor’s leadership woes, caused most of the business uncertainty, has exacerbated Australia’s rent-seeking business culture and, more recently, has worsened the ripple effects of Australia fiscal instability.

The problem is this: Kevin Rudd announces peremptory policy to the public then negotiates in the open with those affected before he has won over the sympathies of the body politic. This really is a failure of political economy 101 and it’s hard to believe that the PM has not learned his lesson.

One for the pool room. Bloody dreamin'. Years? How about hours.

What should happen is this: a long policy process with a lead time measured in years that includes studies, research, consultation with vested interests and open public debate led by the government to bring in and persuade the public the need for potential reform.

Only then do you announce the actual policy and you do not budge from the announced position in the full knowledge that you have already won the debate and any whining that comes from vested interest at that point only makes you look a like strong leader of the national interest.

What we have instead are hastily drawn changes quickly announced then a debate led by vested interest PR and a government in crisis control mode. Thus we have had under Kevin Rudd:

:rolleyes:

All the Passat and Golf drivers I know are very very happy and will buy again. . :yes:style="font-size: 9pt;">

I know of a couple who feel quite the opposite. thumbdown.gif

You just can't make this up. He is amazing.

Same old Rudd looks for FBT escape

Balancing budgets and fixing rorts?

One for the pool room. Bloody dreamin'. Years? How about hours.

:rolleyes:

Yep pathetic, but not unexpected...

On recent form there is a more than an even chance that the policy will be reversed anyway as a strong vested interest campaign gets into full swing. A la MRRT.

Lo and Behold....

Car industry to launch anti-FBT media blitz

The Australian car industry will fight back on changes to the fringe benefits tax from this weekend with a national advertising blitz lambasting the government’s controversial leasing adjustments.

The ALP just encourage rent seeking through their gutless behaviour. No way they will take on any powerful vested interests. I think we have an answer to the OP. NG is under no threat whatsoever. Instead they are going after smokers (again) with a typical gutless increase in sin tax. Tobacco companies have no chance of launching a successful media campaign. So let's get 'em!

Rudd is a gurning, pint-sized f*cknugget. <_<

The ALP just encourage rent seeking through their gutless behaviour. No way they will take on any powerful vested interests. I think we have an answer to the OP. NG is under no threat whatsoever. Instead they are going after smokers (again) with a typical gutless increase in sin tax. Tobacco companies have no chance of launching a successful media campaign. So let's get 'em!

Rudd is a gurning, pint-sized f*cknugget. <_</>

Bravo sir, bravo. :notworthy::notworthy:

(had to look up gurning, very nice, well played)

so you create a smokers party,. massive funding for the political party and " donate " to their advertising campaign during elections.

Edited by savagegoose

Bravo sir, bravo. :notworthy:/> :notworthy:/>

(had to look up gurning, very nice, well played)

Why thankee TP. :)

so you create a smokers party,. massive funding for the political party and " donate " to their advertising campaign during elections.

Could work for a senate seat SG. Pitch it as an attack on personal freedom. Nanny state etc. I think you're on to something. Trouble is smokers are a lethargic cohort. It's the lack of oxygen in the bloodstream I think.

Anyhoo here's a toast! Ladies and Gentlemen. To Evil! :)

Anyhoo here's a toast! Ladies and Gentlemen. To Evil! :)/>

The asylum seeker policies of both parties make that a win win. Generally there is good vs evil, moderate vs extreme, ideology vs humanity etc. But evil vs evil? Two bible thumping hypocrites on parallel populist agendas? :wacko:

If you are toasting evil, you are going to be permanently pissed. :wine:

The asylum seeker policies of both parties make that a win win. Generally there is good vs evil, moderate vs extreme, ideology vs humanity etc. But evil vs evil? Two bible thumping hypocrites on parallel populist agendas? :wacko:/>

If you are toasting evil, you are going to be permanently pissed. :wine:/>

It pains me to say it TP but this is what the populous want. Both leaders are following. Any amount of racism can be hidden behind preventing death by drowning. I'm not in the "Let them all come" camp mind you. I am in the "treat the ones that do come with humanity" camp. I'm hardline on economic refugees in favour of genuine refugees. Stoping the boats would be an easy thing if a regional approach were adopted. Assess claimants in Indonesia in a timely manner. Send the economic refugees home. Provide a ferry for the genuine refugees. If the numbers are overwhelming then have a shared regional approach to taking refugees. Sri lanka ended it's war five years ago. We need to pressure the Sri Lankan govt to observe human rights international laws, likewise the Iranians. Address the push factors. Vote 1 the smokers party.

I'm hardline on economic refugees in favour of genuine refugees

What was wrong with them again? Every definition I have heard makes me one of them and I think I have been pretty good for the country on the whole.

What was wrong with them again? Every definition I have heard makes me one of them and I think I have been pretty good for the country on the whole.

Nothing wrong with them. They just don't fit the definition of refugee.

A person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

They may be able to apply for visas under other categories. Skilled migration for example.

Nothing wrong with them. They just don't fit the definition of refugee.

They may be able to apply for visas under other categories. Skilled migration for example.

This is where things get confusing for me. Is it seriously being suggested that there are people trying to come in on the boats (where you end up in some hell hole procesing centre) that could apply through the skilled migrant thing?

The only way I can think that economic migrants exist is if in other countries there is some amazing marketing campaign appealing to people who have crappy lives. If you were a beggar somewhere and the boat smuggly people came along and said "hey jump on our chartered Carnival cruise ship to Australia where the government will give you a better life, plus there will be Aussie bikini babes on board that find beggars hot" in a manner which was believable and said beggar had the cash to stump up for the boat ride _then_ I would say "yep economic refugee exist".

But you don't need a navy to stop those guys. Just run ads on tele / posters of what really happens and they are stopped. Hell let their newspapers tell the truth; "Australia is not following the legitimate refugee convention and treating them like this" and you have stopped any "economic refugee" pretty well.

(Not that I think such a marketing campaign exists though)

Personally I think the economic refugee thing has been thought up as a new way of making the issue confusing because no one wants to admit that appealing to racism and xenophobia is more fun than addressing actual policies.

This is where things get confusing for me. Is it seriously being suggested that there are people trying to come in on the boats (where you end up in some hell hole procesing centre) that could apply through the skilled migrant thing?

The only way I can think that economic migrants exist is if in other countries there is some amazing marketing campaign appealing to people who have crappy lives. If you were a beggar somewhere and the boat smuggly people came along and said "hey jump on our chartered Carnival cruise ship to Australia where the government will give you a better life, plus there will be Aussie bikini babes on board that find beggars hot" in a manner which was believable and said beggar had the cash to stump up for the boat ride _then_ I would say "yep economic refugee exist".

But you don't need a navy to stop those guys. Just run ads on tele / posters of what really happens and they are stopped. Hell let their newspapers tell the truth; "Australia is not following the legitimate refugee convention and treating them like this" and you have stopped any "economic refugee" pretty well.

(Not that I think such a marketing campaign exists though)

Personally I think the economic refugee thing has been thought up as a new way of making the issue confusing because no one wants to admit that appealing to racism and xenophobia is more fun than addressing actual policies.

'economic refugees' are probably not skilled and would not qualify for skill migration, but may have scraped up enough cash to send a couple of family members to oz (via the boat system). I doubt a 'beggar' is going to view our processing centres as hell holes - guaranteed shelter, food, medicine , relative safety etc. Once a couple of family members are in oz they save like hell and send money home for another couple to come via boats.

I'm not saying economic refugees definitely exist but it sounds very plausible to me.

We need to pressure the Sri Lankan govt to observe human rights international laws,

Good luck with that. If you figure out how Amnesty Intl want to hear from you. I give them a few bob each year they'll reward you, says its from me.

Remember for every undocumented maritime arrival 9-12 step off planes with tourist visas and disappear.

Interesting take on the smoking tax (who gets hit the hardest):

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/08/take-a-fiscal-drag/

'economic refugees' are probably not skilled and would not qualify for skill migration, but may have scraped up enough cash to send a couple of family members to oz (via the boat system). I doubt a 'beggar' is going to view our processing centres as hell holes - guaranteed shelter, food, medicine , relative safety etc. Once a couple of family members are in oz they save like hell and send money home for another couple to come via boats.

I'm not saying economic refugees definitely exist but it sounds very plausible to me.

I guess that is plausible ish. I'd want to see some numbers indicating they exist in numbers deserving any attention though. It seems a concern which has only arisen in the past few weeks (in the context of boat people, for kiwis it has been around for a while).

Once a couple of family members are in oz they save like hell and send money home for another couple to come via boats.

A resident used to be able to get family here under reunion visas.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/

It even was a policy issue on asylum seekers.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/humanitarian/family-reunion.htm

Yet this happens. Apalling.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-25/father-did-not-know-child-was-on-doomed-asylum-boat/4844290

Mr Balamanaran had been trying to get his wife a spousal visa.

"He applied for that and then she got rejected," he said.

Just received this in my email :rolleyes:/>

Save over $3,500 in tax over 7 months! Holden Cruze Equipe Sedan Auto. Act now...

This could be your last chance to take advantage of Novated Leasing! The Federal Government's proposed FBT changes come into effect on the 1st of April 2014. If you act now you can maximise the benefits from salary packaging by entering into a 7 month Novated Lease!

$560

* Net Cost Per Fortnight

*over 7 months lease travelling 15,000kms p.a with a gross salary of $80K. Tax saving includes GST saving on car purchase and reduction in income tax payable.