staringclown

Clown of the week

13 posts in this topic

No payout for bureaucrat depressed after keeping job

Tough redundancy decisions in the federal bureaucracy left a Canberra public servant with a psychological illness - after his bosses said he could keep his job.

In a twist on conventional unfair dismissal cases, the former public servant left ''severely depressed'' because his department would not make him redundant has lost his bid for workers' compensation.

Luciano Lombardo said the refusal by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) to award him a lucrative payout at the age of 61 was ''vindictive'' and unfair.

The former public servant, from the department's targeted jobs projects branch, argued that he would be ''working for nothing'' if he stayed until the retirement age of 65 because his pension benefits under the generous Commonwealth Superannuation Scheme paid more than his after-tax wage.

''The benefit I had qualified for was higher than my take-home pay [so] the department is forcing me to effectively work for nothing,'' he told the tribunal.

But the department and Comcare argued that there was no obligation to make Mr Lombardo redundant simply because it was to his financial advantage.

I had a chuckle when I read this guys case. His claim was that he should be given retirement 4 years early because his pension was higher than his wage... I thought how greedy can one person be?

Then I read about an entire state government after telling the populous austerity was required, proceeded to award themselves a HUGE pay rise.

Campbell Newman announces plan to deal with Queensland MP pay rises

But then cando apologised - so all was forgiven and the lazy public servant gets the inaugural clown of the week award.

What a clown.

Hold the press. There's a late entrant.

Just when you thought it was safe to join a political party because Kevin has increased yo power to select the PM, Julia's old seat (A plum safe labor seat I might add) is subject to a preselection challenge from a bright young thing who joined the party in mid June! Apparently her partner visited Werribee once when he was a child and thus he has passed on a deep abiding grasp of the issues facing the people of Lalor to this young lady. She has visited Melbourne 4 times though and regards it as a "Jolly good place to visit".

I am a little bit drunky right now but even through my haze I cannot believe that Labor would consider this factional parachute candidate. Rank and file elections of local candidates Kevin or I will personally stalk you across the entire internets.

Haha... I'm depressed because I wasn't sacked. Then quit! What a greedy fool... unfortunately the productive in the public sector are anchored from being part of high performing teams as this is typical of public sector mentality.

That clown needs to take one of these concrete pills:

24926_104989432877438_5526749_a.jpg

Haha... I'm depressed because I wasn't sacked. Then quit! What a greedy fool... unfortunately the productive in the public sector are anchored from being part of high performing teams as this is typical of public sector mentality.

The productive in the public service's morale gets driven down by clowns like these. Mine certainly does.

Here's the first nomination for this weeks "clown of the week". Note the reason she took the money at the time. She should have made a bomb from the IP! But greed knows no bounds with some people...

The Federal Court has thrown out a challenge by a former Canberra public servant trying to reclaim superannuation entitlements she surrendered in the 1980s.

The woman accepted a lump sum payment of around $15,000, foregoing future benefits from the generous Commonwealth Superannuation Scheme in 1988 when she was leaving the Public Service to go back to university.

But eight years later she decided she should reverse that decision.

The woman had made numerous complaints and applications to the relevant bodies, including the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal.

The tribunal threw out the case twice, prompting the woman to ask the Federal Court to intervene.

A key element of the case was whether she had been correctly informed about what she was giving up in opting for the lump sum.

But Federal Court Justice Lindsay Foster has agreed with an earlier assessment that she had made a conscious decision which suited her plan to buy an investment property.

Justice Foster has dismissed the application.

I hope the costs for a vexatious complaint were awarded against her.

A clown, no mistake. But is she clown of the week?

A clown, no mistake. But is she clown of the week?

I nominate Mickey Arthur.

I nominate Mickey Arthur.

Nomination accepted. Although he says he didn't leak the Watson comment. Therefore it must be true. <_<

Another contender. Apparently disciplining a worker for inappropriate behaviour can incur compensation claims. I lash out at my own colleagues all the time. Mainly because they are lazy bastards. My own behaviour is inappropriate but if I get called on it I will suck it up. Meh, If I'm in the wrong then I'll cop it sweet. :) Might even prove a positive on the resume. :rolleyes:

The giant department, which employs 36,000 workers nationwide in “frontline” agencies Centrelink, Medicare and the Child Support Agency, took the unusual step of challenging Comcare's decision to pay compensation to 20-year Centrelink veteran Jennifer Haseler.

Ms Haseler, a Client Service Adviser at Centrelink's Beenleigh Service Centre was formally counselled by one of her bosses after she stood up at a meeting, attacked the performance of a colleague and the service, and walked out.

After a complaint was made about her conduct Ms Haseler was notified that she would be counselled for breaching the public Service Code of Conduct, with the action to remain on her personnel file for seven years.

But Ms Haseler fought the process, alleging she was the victim of “lies and gross exaggerations”, that her bosses were biased and had denied her procedural fairness.

She did not deny lashing out at her colleagues but disputed the words that were allegedly used and objected to being counselled.

After her Regional Manager Susan Morrison ordered the counseling to go ahead despite Ms Haseler's objections, the Client Service Advisor went off on sick leave and was diagnosed with “adjustment disorder with anxious mood,” caused by her problems at work.

Comcare initially dismissed the public servant's claim for workers' compensation but after the insurer changed its decision on review, DHS stepped in and lodged a challenge in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, arguing its managers' had acted reasonably in their dealings with Ms Haseler and she was not entitled to a payout.

Tribunal Deputy President Phillip Hack SC has backed the department's handling of the case, deciding that Ms Haseler had not established there was anything wrong with the process undertaken by DHS.

“No sensible basis was advanced why formal counseling was inherently unreasonable,” Mr Hack wrote in his decision.

“In reality the question in this case is whether Ms Morrison's actions were taken in a reasonable manner.

“I consider that they were.”

...I lash out at my own colleagues all the time. Mainly because they are lazy bastards. My own behaviour is inappropriate but if I get called on it I will suck it up. Meh, If I'm in the wrong then I'll cop it sweet. :)/> Might even prove a positive on the resume. ::)/>

I don't even see that as inappropriate, probably explains why everyone is happier if I work from home.

I don't even see that as inappropriate, probably explains why everyone is happier if I work from home.

:D

Inappropriate behaviour as in the APS code of conduct is that you:

when acting connection with APS employment, treat everyone with respect and courtesy, and without harassment;

I do sometimes fall down here as calling one's esteemed colleague a "lazy bastard" apparently is outside the accepted norm. In my experience of private enterprise (factories, kitchens, bars and trades) this sort of comment is regarded as gentle banter. I've been called a lot worse. So I do actually support the code of conduct wholeheartedly. Although I would like to see the introduction of a "Thou shalt not be a lazy bastard" clause so I had some ammo from my own side of the equation. To be fair no one has ever reported me for such language. But I fear it may be only a matter of time. In which case I'll probably be sent on some course or other which will teach me to call someone a lazy bastard in more diplomatic language.

You sir are of illegitimate birth and are as idle as the day is long :)

Or they could let me work from home

I do sometimes fall down here as calling one's esteemed colleague a "lazy bastard" apparently is outside the accepted norm.

Perhaps you can turn it into a compliment, "Why Bob, you are an exceptionally lazy bastard, the laziest bastard I've worked with!"

Perhaps you can turn it into a compliment, "Why Bob, you are an exceptionally lazy bastard, the laziest bastard I've worked with!"

:laugh:

Worth a try. I can say it was a joke and avoid the re-education camp.

Eddie Obeid and Ian MacDonald and other Bozos

729seven-620x349.jpg

The sooner they carted off to the pokie the better.

Flower squirting, large shoed, red nosed clowns

"Edward Obeid Sr was an unimpressive witness," one of the three reports said.

"He gave evidence on some important issues which ... the commission regarded as deliberately untrue.

The commission said his "repeated attempts" to distance himself from the Obeid family businesses were "deliberately false, and merely an attempt to construct a defensive position between him and some of the issues that lie at the heart of this inquiry".

"He was an aggressive witness and seemed to be more concerned with imposing his will on the proceedings than with simply telling the truth."

Eddie Obeid released a short statement soon after the findings were published, rejecting the reports and flagging a long-mooted court appeal.

"I reject the assertions by the commissioner that I acted in any way that could amount to corrupt conduct," he said.