Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solomon

Egypt

3 posts in this topic

Have been watching the recent happenings in Egypt with a certain amount of interest.

Why?

Because with Syria on one side and Egypt on the other, the country that could be caught in a cross-fire is always Israel.

That strange nation that seems to be forever arousing all kinds of emotions from various angles.

So are we looking at another Arab spring, and could this time develop into a civil war based on religious affiliation?

Monsour is attempting to get speedy elections underway, but with the majority of people still remaining pro Islamic Brotherhood, what at the chances of getting a different result?

I understand overnight that there were cold-blooded assassinations as well.

Heating up in the Middle East.

I have read that the reason Morsi was ousted was because he wanted to support the resistance in Syria.

I'll stand corrected, if that is not correct.

It will only take a spark to get a fire going.

What do others think?

What do others think?

There's a lot of goat herders in the ME, Egypt included. Israel will destroy any other nation in the area that is a threat.

Have been watching the recent happenings in Egypt with a certain amount of interest.

Why?

Because with Syria on one side and Egypt on the other, the country that could be caught in a cross-fire is always Israel.

That strange nation that seems to be forever arousing all kinds of emotions from various angles.

So are we looking at another Arab spring, and could this time develop into a civil war based on religious affiliation?

Monsour is attempting to get speedy elections underway, but with the majority of people still remaining pro Islamic Brotherhood, what at the chances of getting a different result?

I understand overnight that there were cold-blooded assassinations as well.

Heating up in the Middle East.

I have read that the reason Morsi was ousted was because he wanted to support the resistance in Syria.

I'll stand corrected, if that is not correct.

It will only take a spark to get a fire going.

What do others think?

It's a difficult question sol.

Egypt under Mubarak was secular. (And backed by the west) Mubarak was backed by the military so I would assume the military are also secular.

The first dalliance with democracy elected the Muslim Brotherhood leader (Morsi)

Morsi might have been OK but then he placed himself above the law. His decrees were not open to challenge.

The muslim brotherhood supported the original protests in tahrir square along side the secular elements of the opposition. The worries by the more secular elements were there in the first protests that an Islamic state would deter the tourists and ruin the economy. The people that were profiting from the relaxation of islamic laws against a larger number that don't benefit yet are offended by western values.

Turkey is another example of the struggle between a largely regional conservative islamic population and a more modernised urban population that wants the western lifestyle. The riots in Istanbul are another symptom of the restriction of (previously enjoyed) freedoms. A slow creep of intrusive government decisions that resulted in the progressive section of the population saying "enough".

It's a struggle that the middle east need to sort out for themselves. The issue for the west is watching on while they slaughter each other isn't palatable. (IMHO it shouldn't be either) They should be allowed to sort it out themselves peacefully

The US is confused because democracy is seen as a preferable system and so if the military ousts an elected government they must frown upon it. But what happens when an islamist government is ousted? The US frowns but not too hard.

My own view is that religion has no place in government. People should be free to practice whatever religion they like (as long as it doesn't impinge on others rights) The coptic christians were copping a beating under Morsi. This was plainly wrong.