Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobran20

SMH: NSW Labor breaks with worst of its past

2 posts in this topic

How will those poor developers be able to influence planning decisions now?! Seriously, the best way to resolve the problem is to fund elections from public money.

link

...Rudd's announcement contains a tough set of measures: property developers ruled out as candidates, zero tolerance of corruption and opening up Labor's processes to the rule of law....

How will those poor developers be able to influence planning decisions now?! Seriously, the best way to resolve the problem is to fund elections from public money.

link

I agree - no money should come from interest groups to political parties. It's buying influence plain and simple. Vested interests don't donate for nothing. Gillard did attempt to introduce such a system. The libs withdrew their support.

Unfortunately, it was yet another policy that was poorly communicated policy by the Gillard but also sadly an opportunity missed. Not sure if I agree with banning developers wholesale from politics to counter corruption. Seems a bit discriminatory to me. What's to stop them putting in a stooge? It does highlight the low regard that developers are held in though. :o