AndersB

How long will Kevin remain

143 posts in this topic

Last week, the Federal Circuit Court rejected Michaela Banerji's application to prevent the Immigration Department from sacking her, after she had used an anonymous Twitter account to criticise Australia's refugee policies.

Ms Banerji had argued that any finding of misconduct against a public servant ''for expressing a political opinion contravenes the implied constitutional freedom of political communication''.

However, Judge Warwick Neville said past High Court cases showed that Australians' implied rights of political expression were limited and did not ''provide a licence … to breach a contract of employment''.

I love the law.

Total mob of .....

So the Highest Court of our land, has effectively argued that "a breach of a contract of employment", is actually of a higher legal standing than "freedom of speech", and perhaps even outright criminal activity.

If I was a journalist, I would be shaking in my shoes right now. Because they actually depend upon the "freedom of speech" moral and ethical standard being of higher importance, than breaching anything about their own company bosses.

Totally ludicrous.

Imagine what whistleblowers around the world are now thinking.

Imagine what Jayant Patel might have achieved if Toni Hoffman had been living, and continued to operate under this particular ruling.

No government is beyond reproach, and the general public depend upon people on the inside to reveal what is really happening, because otherwise it is too easy for the government to manipulate their own public persona and information. We would be totally blind and deaf to the true operations. As if we aren't enough now!

Wouldn't we all like to know the true state of affairs of the budget and economy, instead of what we get fed by the very people who depend on good figures to remain in power.

Sorry, but I'm dumbfounded.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has echoed Opposition Leader Tony Abbott's pledge not to strike any deals with minor parties or independents to form government if neither party gains a majority in its own right.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/kevin-rudd-follows-tony-abbott-in-ruling-out-deals-to-form-government-20130814-2rv6c.html#ixzz2bvmcEwVR

Does Tony's pledge mean he's not going to form government with the nationals? They're two different parties.

Is neither party going to deals with the greens and independents in the senate to get legislation passed?

Oh a Northern territories economic zone with 1/3rd the corporate taxes for companies based in the Northern territories compared to the states.

That would mean about 10% corporate tax. Competitive with singapore and hong kong...

I might need to move my company, that would negate the current "don't have to pay myself super" approach I think. Wonder who else is calling their corporate lawyers at the moment.

Oh a Northern territories economic zone with 1/3rd the corporate taxes for companies based in the Northern territories compared to the states.

That would mean about 10% corporate tax. Competitive with singapore and hong kong...

I might need to move my company, that would negate the current "don't have to pay myself super" approach I think. Wonder who else is calling their corporate lawyers at the moment.

I was thinking the same thing. A person in your situation who can work from home, can relocate physically/virtually to anywhere.

I was thinking the same thing. A person in your situation who can work from home, can relocate physically/virtually to anywhere.

Yep if it goes ahead will definitely be checking it out. I am not entirely sure what the fine print will be but it is an interesting precedent. I don't really see what there is to stop almost any company from doing so though, it's not like there would be country to country hassles (like setting up in singapore for example). An awful lot of companies I have worked for have been based out of Melbourne for some reason or another despite having most of their operations in NSW.

How have they defined social media? Like can you criticise the government on say breakfast talk back radio? Does a net forum count as social media? How about someone else's backyard BBQ versus your own?

Does working for the ABC make you a public servant and limit the journalists?

and where is your twitter feed? I'm gonna guess your password and save you from canberra :)/>/>

Definitely includes forums. Any media contact must be a no comment response referred to the media officer. I can mutter under my breath at back yard BBQ's provided nobody hears.

I don't twat much but you're welcome to the password. I try to limit it to cyber stalking Dr Ando. You would need to slowly ramp up the insanity so we could establish where the line was crossed. I would enjoy reading my ever more erratic ravings emanating across the internets. :) I know if I was inclined I could be a great troll. I sense that you also have the required skillz. :D

Yep if it goes ahead will definitely be checking it out. I am not entirely sure what the fine print will be but it is an interesting precedent. I don't really see what there is to stop almost any company from doing so though, it's not like there would be country to country hassles (like setting up in singapore for example). An awful lot of companies I have worked for have been based out of Melbourne for some reason or another despite having most of their operations in NSW.

The constitution has "no restriction of trade" regulations between the states so the NT (being a territory) could be to avoid these regulations and remain under commonwealth control thus preventing wholesale transfers to a lower tax jurisdiction. If they didn't limit it every business in the country would rebirth in the NT. Having said that the policy is another made on the run so they probably haven't thought it out too much yet. I'm thinking that companies will need servers running in the NT and I'll gladly put up with the heat to maintain a small data centre and answer the phones. (not me personally obviously) This could work in well with my post Canberra ambition. I will insist on any dress standard allowing thongs and hawaiian shirts though.

I will insist on any dress standard allowing thongs and hawaiian shirts though.

I'm not completely sure yet but I am thinking that would be the uniform. That and nothing else. Fans have grills so it ought to be safe enough :)

The idea of free willy hardware guys makes me happy.

KRudd is a very good campaigner. Tony is hopeless. More and more Australian politics is being turned into an American style presidential race. If that's the case Kev can, Tony can't.

We're a long way from the finish line, but at this stage I tip Kev to win.

Abbott looking more likely now methinks. He won't even need to cost his policies. All he needs to do is keep his mouth shut.

I don't twat much but you're welcome to the password. I try to limit it to cyber stalking Dr Ando. You would need to slowly ramp up the insanity so we could establish where the line was crossed. I would enjoy reading my ever more erratic ravings emanating across the internets. :)/> I know if I was inclined I could be a great troll. I sense that you also have the required skillz. :D/>

Oh _slowly_ ramp up the insanity. Not so good at that. I like to think of myself as an F1 of crazy. 0 to a million in a single post.

However it does seem like a great project, performance art at its finest!

Oh _slowly_ ramp up the insanity. Not so good at that. I like to think of myself as an F1 of crazy. 0 to a million in a single post.

However it does seem like a great project, performance art at its finest!

It has to be a slow degradation. If not there will be the suspicion of identity theft and I'll never get out of Canberra! Happy to proof read the initial efforts and then you can go nuts. :)

Oh yeah I forgot...

As a member of the APS I can now be sacked for criticising the government! :)/> Even anonymously!

PS urged to stay silent on social media

This could be my ticket out of Canberra. :P/>

I believe one is not to associate oneself or identify oneself as an employee before bagging or criticising, and yes forums count.

Its wrong in so many ways but thats the rules they generate.

I believe one is not to associate oneself or identify oneself as an employee before bagging or criticising, and yes forums count.

Its wrong in so many ways but thats the rules they generate.

The problem is that I started posting way before this requirement was imposed. I have clearly identified myself as APS a long time ago. Is it retrospective?

I don't identify which department I work for (except to trusted people on the forum ;) ) I don't compromise confidential information ever. I implement policy impartially at work and have worked for successive governments (4) and if I disagreed so badly with the policy I would leave and scream even louder. I won't claim the "I was only following orders" defence as it doesn't wash. See Nuremberg trials.

I don't remember signing away my right to free expression when I joined the APS. I will be damned if I will sit silently while stupid, dishonest politicians proclaim any amount of bullsh*t is true. Just can't do it. I don't claim that I'm always right however I reserve the right as every other citizen is entitled to bitch about dumb decisions. If the government don't want criticism then they should do a better job, cut the spin and start concerning themselves with improving the lot of their constituents. They can sack me if they choose but I will not be silenced. The APS should not be the play thing of government. I serve the Commonwealth of Australia. I will provide frank and fearless advice. That's what I signed up for. :)

The problem is that I started posting way before this requirement was imposed. I have clearly identified myself as APS a long time ago. Is it retrospective?

Didn't you once tell me (and several others here), in a (mass) private email, which we have since lost, that you don't actually work for that APS?

Instead you work for the APS as in the Albury Poodle Society. I can see why there would be a confusion.

Oh yeah I forgot...

As a member of the APS I can now be sacked for criticising the government! smile.gif Even anonymously!

PS urged to stay silent on social media

This could be my ticket out of Canberra. tongue.gif

I wonder how the university sector fits into that? Not sure what the deal is at my current university, but I know at my previous one it was 30% funded by government. I'd imagine that if I were back there I could criticise the government with up to 70% of my words.

e.g. I would rather stick a red hot needle in my eye than support either of these two frauds and imposters. Puppy dog noses. Rainbows. Warm Scones. Fairies.

Didn't you once tell me (and several others here), in a (mass) private email, which we have since lost, that you don't actually work for that APS?

Instead you work for the APS as in the Albury Poodle Society. I can see why there would be a confusion.

Ah yes!!!

I distinctly remember misplacing that private message too.

The Albury Poodle Society had some serious IT infrastructure issues to resolve at the time, apparently.

The Albury Poodle Society had some serious IT infrastructure issues to resolve at the time, apparently.

If I remember correctly it was Poodle Privacy Problems.

hehe. Thanks lads. :)

Yes now I remember that PM. That was the one about the PKI project I was working on. Poodle Kennel Infrastructure is of serious concern here in Albury.

Do you have a link for these figures DM?

The UNHCR figures that I have found have for 2012:

Australia: 15,790

Ranked 15 per capita with 0.7 asylum seekers per 1000

US: 83,430

Ranked 24 per capita with 0.3 asylum seekers per 1000

Norway: 9,790

Ranked 7 per capita with 2.0 asylum seekers per 1000

Heya,

I was using the "figures at a glance" statistical snapshot from the UNHCR website. Happy to be corrected if I was using the figures incorrectly:

Australia

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/page?page=49e487af6&submit=GO

US

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/page?page=49e492086&submit=GO

Norway

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/page?page=49e48ed26&submit=GO

Thanks for the PDF link - that was actually the sort of information I was looking for, but for some reason overlooked.

Cheers!

Dead Money

Edited by Dead Money

I get the feeling that Norway feels taking in one refugee per person is about the most it can handle and, importantly, the populace at large seems to agree.

To which my response would be:

1. Does Norway have a right to decide how many refugees apply for asylum in Norway?

2. If yes, how should Norway implement that right?

(Note, I don't think there are easy or simple answers to these Questions personally.....)

If you did it in a manner where they were trained before coming in it is a win / win situation. Train everyone at University Australia, the ones that fail the course go back to their lives with skills which might actually be useful. The ones that pass are cheaper than growing our own people.

Actually I could get on board for that - so long as said trained migrants (who happened to be refugees) were classified as skilled migration not refugees on the statistics. Otherwise it could become an easy way for Australia to shirk its humanitarian obligations....

Cheers,

Dead Money

Heya,

I was using the "figures at a glance" statistical snapshot from the UNHCR website. Happy to be corrected if I was using the figures incorrectly:

Australia

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/page?page=49e487af6&submit=GO

US

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/page?page=49e492086&submit=GO

Norway

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/page?page=49e48ed26&submit=GO

Thanks for the PDF link - that was actually the sort of information I was looking for, but for some reason overlooked.

Cheers!

Dead Money

Thanks for the links DM and apologies for my pedantry. :blush:

The figures seemed very generous (50k in one year for Aus) which is what got me curious. I think that they might represent the aggregate numbers of asylum seekers but not arrivals for a specific year.

Thanks for the links DM and apologies for my pedantry. :blush:/>

The figures seemed very generous (50k in one year for Aus) which is what got me curious. I think that they might represent the aggregate numbers of asylum seekers but not arrivals for a specific year.

No worries SC, I agree totally. I only used the figures I did because they were the only ones I found. You're probably right that those are some sort of aggregate figure rather than an annual figure, the 2012 figures from the Asylum Trends pdf is probably a better measure to use for this discussion.

Cheers,

Dead Money

Yesterday I received a DVD from Palmer United in the letterbox.

The table of contents read - CP speech in Canberra, CP speech at airport, Bonus titanic II video, PUP TV ads, John Bjelk - Petersen for Maranoa and CP message for Sunshine Coast.

I could only watch the first couple of mins of his Canberra speech but it was amusing that the DVD was obviously manufactured before Rudd took over with CP's constant references to Gillard as the PM.

I'm not sure what a titanic bonus video was doing in political advertising, but it was interesting to watch.

One of the parties key policies is 'Process Australian resources in Australia.' Create jobs and exports. - the DVD was printed in China!

...I could only watch the first couple of mins ...

You did better than me - I just threw it in the garbage bin immediately!