tux

Job Loss Thread

319 posts in this topic

How long it takes to find a job: 10 weeks

By Peter Martin

The Sydney Morning Herald

Link

If you are unfortunate enough to lose your job, expect to be out of work for about 10 weeks.
Australia has lost 117,000 full-time jobs this year, offset by the creation of 109,000 new part-time jobs.

I remember back over at GHPC, often was the argument "yeah but for all those lost jobs, others have been created". But the above is scary!

The above figures confirm the concept of "under employment" from a few posters over at GHPC

also consider if you work 1 hour a fortnight you are considered employed for statistical purposes. if you are on welfare benefits.

Still, we have to admit it's not nearly as bad as most of us, and I include myself in that, and most commentators were expecting, but it isn't as rosy as some media reports would have you believe either. But it's a long way off the disaster that's occurring in the US.

There's a lot more IT job ads that are just hideously arrogant and demanding for not much more than junior pay than there were pre gfc. Thankfully there's still some good ones.

Man I hate IT! Why did I choose IT?!?!

I should have become an accountant. At least I could be bored out my head without living with the dread of immigrants and offshoring or my skillset being out of date in two weeks. :laugh:

Accounting will be a boom industry as the house of cards falls and everyone tries to wriggle out of it :)

Accounting will be a boom industry as the house of cards falls and everyone tries to wriggle out of it :)

Wish I was 18 again so I could spare the 5 years or whatever it is to become a CPA. :)

Accounting is good biz to be in IMO.

Outlook:

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/accountancy.aspx

Candidates with project accounting and business strategy experience are required as employers look at ways to improve business models and reduce costs. Risk and compliance are high on many companies’ agendas, particularly from an analytical and business strategy viewpoint. Project accountants, candidates with proven experience in system implementation and integration, and those with recent exposure to joint venture accounting are highly sought after. In line with previous years, there is an ongoing demand for corporate tax accountants, either from within industry or those making a move from professional practice.

The chronic shortage of credit controllers, accounts receivable and experienced payroll officers and managers remains and organisations are maintaining a clear focus on retaining staff in these areas. Senior executives in the oil & gas, public and notfor- profit sectors also remain in demand.

Professional practice demand has decreased in all areas, except for insolvency practitioners at the supervisor, manager and senior manager levels and within restructuring. As firms build their fee base, business services and audit partners with transferable clients and strong local networks are highly regarded. In Melbourne and Adelaide demand remains for strong senior accountants in business services with experience reviewing work papers and managing workflow. Sydney, Hobart and Perth employers need audit seniors, supervisors and managers.

Temporary assignments have increased to assist practices through busy periods or when a permanent hire is unjustifiable.

Salary?

OMFG.... :shocking::fear::notworthy:

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs09/Accountancy%20&%20Finance.pdf

Further...

Who is No1 in the "best paying sectors" (below graph)?

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/

Accounting is good biz to be in IMO.

Outlook:

http://www.hays.com....ccountancy.aspx

Salary?

OMFG.... :shocking::fear::notworthy:

http://www.hays.com....&%20Finance.pdf

Further...

Who is No1 in the "best paying sectors" (below graph)?

http://content.mycar.../salary-centre/

The mycareer one is sorted in alphabetical order Tinman. So accounting isn't really number 1.

It's pretty insulting really. When I just left school the people who did accounting certainly weren't the brightest sparks. They were merely adequate with maths and were reasonably intelligent. The sort of people who might consistently get 60 or 70 percent in sh*t.

I guess all these CEO faggots like to take care of their own. :P

Glad I dropped engineering! Just looking at seek and man a lot of those jobs get paid the same as IT and accounting and engineering is WAY harder than accounting or IT.

What a f*cked up country.

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/construction-architecture/

Look at what all these f*cking inbred scum are making. This is why they love all the immigrants so they can make a fortune out of playing mud pies.

f*ck this country.

Edited by Sacamento

Well Saccy, to get into UQ as an BEng requires an OP8*, to get into BCom (Finance and Accounting, THOSE jobs) requires an OP6*. Their are derivatives and and all sorts of nasty thingies out there now.

If you have change from 40yo, why not do a BCom externally?

*An OP6 is 90 in NSW http://www.qtac.edu.au/Applying-CurrentYr12/InterstateAdmissions.html

Well Saccy, to get into UQ as an BEng requires an OP8*, to get into BCom (Finance and Accounting, THOSE jobs) requires an OP6*. Their are derivatives and and all sorts of nasty thingies out there now.

If you have change from 40yo, why not do a BCom externally?

*An OP6 is 90 in NSW http://www.qtac.edu....Admissions.html

I don't think I could do it. It'd be 6 years part time, I'd have to do it at night, then after all that I'd still be a noob anyway and have to spend another 6 years becoming a senior and getting decent money, sounds like burnout to me. I should do be able to do alright with what I have now anyway.

Unemployment in surprise drop

December 10, 2009 - 2:18PM Update Australia's unemployment rate has surprisingly fallen, adding to signs that the worst of the economic downturn has passed and raising the prospects of more interest rate rises.

The country's jobless rate fell to 5.7 per cent last month, from 5.8 per cent in October, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said today. Economists were expecting the rate to edge higher to 5.9 per cent.

The economy added a net 31,200 jobs last month - more than the 5000 new jobs tipped - with 30,800 of them being full-time positions, the ABS said.

Well, looks like the unemployment rate has stalled around the 5.7% mark for the moment, so I'd say we are very very likely to be getting more interest rate rises in the new year, and probably an earlyish election given that Rudd would want to capitalise on these sort of numbers and the disarray in the Liberal party.

Unemployment rose in SA and fell elsewhere, I think. Just caught that wandering past the telly at news time, so don't quote me on that.

Unemployment rose in SA and fell elsewhere, I think. Just caught that wandering past the telly at news time, so don't quote me on that.

Unemployment also rose in WA. I met a woman from the ABS tonight, however our conversation was irrelevant. Just thought i'd throw it in.

However the Vote Confidence Glass Half Full Team has already jumped on it. Don't want to frighten the cattle:

WA unemployment rise only temporary: Economist

December 10, 2009 - 4:05PM

A rise in Western Australia's unemployment rate is only temporary and will soon fall again on the back of another mining boom, an economic analyst says.
"If anything I would say in a year, we're going to have labour shortages again."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa-unemployment-rise-only-temporary-economist-20091210-km2y.html

And the Glass Half Full Comittee at the West Australian:

Jobs up as economy improves

SHANE WRIGHT ECONOMICS EDITOR, The West Australian December 10, 2009, 8:44 am

In WA the jobless rate increased to 5.2 per cent from 5 per cent. But this seasonally adjusted figure has moved around considerably in recent months as the ABS improves its employment measurement series.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/6571453/jobs-up-as-economy-improves/

QANTAS announced 1000 redundancies today also, as well as a few hundred at OneSteel.

I know of others that haven't been in the media also.

Bluescope have announced 1000 redundencies and the shut-down of its Pt Kembla operations.

Any predictions for the unemployment figure for August.

Edited by Solomon

<snip>

I know of others that haven't been in the media also.

Bluescope have announced 1000 redundencies and the shut-down of its Pt Kembla operations.

Any predictions for the unemployment figure for August.

These are the ones I was talking about.

I think it's time to get this thread back up to date.

We had:

- Borders

- Columbia

- Angus and Robertson

What was the women's clothing chain that went into receivershiop recently?

I'm hearing anecdotally that small business is laying off as well.

Several people have lost their jobs after Christmas in the retail business.

Nothing about it in the papers.

This is in the South-east of Queensland.

The high $A is killing the tourism based areas.

All you need to do is take a drive along Gold Coast Highway and count the empty shops to see that retail is suffering here.

Yes, I've heard similar stories here in SA, too.

Not sure it has anything to do with tourism in this neck of the woods, though.

More to do with the general rust-bucketiness of the state, combined with a failure for the much heralded mining boom to actually arrive.