staringclown

Predictions thread

79 posts in this topic

On 16/08/2019 at 7:06 AM, AndersB said:

I predict raising the dole/new start.

Politicians gain brownie points for caring for those most in need. And those people will spend every cent of what extra they would get, which would mean instant stimulus.

That would be the preferred option for the reasons that you state. The money gets put straight back into the economy. It's what I meant by an about turn on ideology. Unfortunately, the government haven't signalled anything of the sort. I fear that a more likely result will be to provide a less efficient stimulus to the "base"

5 hours ago, staringclown said:

That would be the preferred option for the reasons that you state. The money gets put straight back into the economy. It's what I meant by an about turn on ideology. Unfortunately, the government haven't signalled anything of the sort. I fear that a more likely result will be to provide a less efficient stimulus to the "base"

Ah yes - there are lunatics like Larry Summers (and some politicians) that think trickle-down-economics works best by stimulating the big end of town and the interests of the wealthy elites.

For the rest of the 99.9%:

please-sir-may-i-have-some-more.gif

On 8/16/2019 at 7:06 AM, AndersB said:

I predict raising the dole/new start.

Politicians gain brownie points for caring for those most in need. And those people will spend every cent of what extra they would get, which would mean instant stimulus.

I'm not so sure. The coalition is very against any dole welfare - they prefer welfare for churches, businesses and 'families'. They'd rather take a mean spirited approach to dole bludgers than a pragmatic one. They'd rather spend money hiring church businesses to make dole recipients jump through hoops than give it to them. They have started a campaign of demonising dole recipients in the media. They've also started a review of Job Active to make it more efficient - AKA more punitive. 

Having said that, there is pressure from almost every interest group to increase the dole. I think we will see some pathetic increase in the dole linked to more 'mutual obligation' before the next election that will punish dole recipients but look like an increase. 

On 19/08/2019 at 10:44 AM, zaph said:

I'm not so sure. The coalition is very against any dole welfare - they prefer welfare for churches, businesses and 'families'. They'd rather take a mean spirited approach to dole bludgers than a pragmatic one. They'd rather spend money hiring church businesses to make dole recipients jump through hoops than give it to them. They have started a campaign of demonising dole recipients in the media. They've also started a review of Job Active to make it more efficient - AKA more punitive. 

Having said that, there is pressure from almost every interest group to increase the dole. I think we will see some pathetic increase in the dole linked to more 'mutual obligation' before the next election that will punish dole recipients but look like an increase. 

Even John Howard of all people...