zaph

Families earning $250k pa struggling

54 posts in this topic

Make up your mind.

I do like the way that low income families get most of it paid by the government but no mention of how much the middle class get.

the graph in the article does specify the amount that "middle class" families get (whatever middle class means). However I think that a lot of people are operating under fundamentally mistaken assumptions about how much "middle class welfare" is being thrown about.

Being middle class (nobody could ever accuse me of being upper class tho i have been accused having no class) w/1 income and 2 kids we get $0 childcare rebate (stay at home mum), $50 per fortnight in FTA/B, and... yeah, that's it. unless you count health care that everyone else gets. There are the occasional cash splashes by rudd, julia etc. which i do feel a certain guiltless pleasure in accepting (it makes me feel loved - though if they knew I can't vote I'd lose it in a heartbeat) but that comes out to... what? an additional $20/fortnight in election years? so let's say $70/fortnight or 1800 or so per year. It is a pittance when compared to taxes paid.

i'm sure that some people are getting heaps of middle class welfare and i wish i were one of them, but not everyone does. yes our kids benefit from public education, safe streets and not having north korea invade us, but these benefits are not specific to people with kids and comfortable yet not lavish incomes.

the graph in the article does specify the amount that "middle class" families get (whatever middle class means). However I think that a lot of people are operating under fundamentally mistaken assumptions about how much "middle class welfare" is being thrown about.

Australians read graphs? You, sir, are crazy!

I was thinking more in terms of how it directs attention to the lower class welfare.

However that chart seems to have the legend colours backwards now that I actually read it and think.

A major factor behind the increase, is that many middle-income families are opting for private school education

I would prefer to spend my hard-earned sending a Wee Dose to some distant and interetesing university than some swank primary school where the kids wear ties and the carpark is full of German Engineering. My experience is young minds may learn the wrong kind of lessons in that environment.

Seriously though, I wonder how many of these schools with sky high tuition (and costs) would weather a serious downturn? The few people we know with kids in those high-end schools have all borrowed against home equity to afford it.

I would prefer to spend my hard-earned sending a Wee Dose to some distant and interetesing university than some swank primary school where the kids wear ties and the carpark is full of German Engineering. My experience is young minds may learn the wrong kind of lessons in that environment.

Seriously though, I wonder how many of these schools with sky high tuition (and costs) would weather a serious downturn? The few people we know with kids in those high-end schools have all borrowed against home equity to afford it.

We know the answer already as during the GFC there was a substantial migration of private school students to the public schools.