Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Room with a view

8 posts in this topic

451517-room-with-a-highway-view.jpgRefuseniks: elderly Chinese couple refuse to sign agreement allowing their house to be demolished by authorities. (AP Photo) Source: AP

Homeowners Luo Baogen and his wife refused to allow the government to demolish their home in Xiazhangyang, Zhejiang province, forcing authorities to build a new motorway around their half-demolished block of flats.

Demolition experts left the apartments either side of the Luao's intact to prevent the building collapsing.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/realestate/the-house-in-the-middle-of-a-new-chinese-highway/story-fncq3era-1226522450873#ixzz2D4hulD1O

I wonder what the speed limit on that road is? Or if the speed limit even matters?

Are you suggesting the house might get a ticket for illegal parking?

Are you suggesting the house might get a ticket for illegal parking?

I'm suggesting that a building in the middle of a freeway when travelling at high speed can be bad for your health.

I like the wit of your comment though. Don't tell the Chinese government, might give them ideas. They seem dodgy enough already to allow this to happen (not that similar, albeit more subtle things do not happen in Australia).

Edited by tux

I am more surprised the other way?

People power is not something you think of in modern china even if they are communist?

I thought they removed by force etc? I can only assume this is for publicity? Would have cost a penny or two even in china?

They should make it into a bed and breakfast? "you will not get anywhere with better freeway access!"

That assumes they don't erect jersey barriers all around. (which they should...)