Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savagegoose

Goose's Adelaide property watch

39 posts in this topic

well theres 1 place i can keep an eye on its over road from sisters lace

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-hackham+west-112222255

asking 195k old trust house in a huge trust enclave, avg asking proce around here is 220k

she knows the people so will prob get the sale price.

$195k for a place 30km out of the city is unheard of in Melbourne (you might get a 1 bed apartment). What is the suburb like?

yeah 30km from adelaide is different that 30km from melbourn tho. its still adelaide . if you think thats sweet go see what you can get for 200k 30km from vegas.

well theres 1 place i can keep an eye on its over road from sisters lace

http://www.realestat...+west-112222255

asking 195k old trust house in a huge trust enclave, avg asking proce around here is 220k

she knows the people so will prob get the sale price.

Looks like a perfectly livable place at a good price.

oh hang on... How will my car survive without a garage? No stone topped kitchen benches. I couldn't possibly live there...

How would the mainstream describe the suburb?

Looks like a perfectly livable place at a good price.

oh hang on... How will my car survive without a garage? No stone topped kitchen benches. I couldn't possibly live there...

How would the mainstream describe the suburb?

welfare enclave. i once walked form wrong bus stop for 45 min, and didnt pass a real house built by anyone but the SA housing trust. thats the area. although crime isnt too bad, everyones on the phone and calling cops on ea other at 1st sign of trouble. quite a few privatelyu owned and many well looked after, then just as many have 3 or 4 cars in front yard in various states of repair , or dismemberment or as planter pots for the runaway gardens,.

Edited by savagegoose

Ok this isnt a property watch post, more of a discussin with a drunk at the local kareoke night , at a local pub.

we talked one time while out smokeing and he suggested i get off my ass and get A JOB, espoused noone could life off of 700 a fortnight. and i agreed it was tough and i would like more money,

next time we talked he started on the fact i SHOULD BUY A HOUSE. i should get a good paying job and by my owwn house. stateing that house prices only ever go up.

of course i scoffed. mentioning that they went down %50 in usa, uk spain portugal, japan, and infact we are one of only a few countries that havent had a crashed housing market,

i ended of course stateing that $300k for dog box here is the last thing i would do witht he cash from a decent job.

" its different here " was actually stated by him, and i laughed again.

i tried talking numbers to wich he bellowed " you are not listening to me " but INACT HE WASNT LISTENING TO ME

ended up he gave up on me as a morom or some such and stormed off with his head and ears closed. I dontn think i got thru AT ALL

Ok this isnt a property watch post, more of a discussin with a drunk at the local kareoke night , at a local pub.

we talked one time while out smokeing and he suggested i get off my ass and get A JOB, espoused noone could life off of 700 a fortnight. and i agreed it was tough and i would like more money,

next time we talked he started on the fact i SHOULD BUY A HOUSE. i should get a good paying job and by my owwn house. stateing that house prices only ever go up.

of course i scoffed. mentioning that they went down %50 in usa, uk spain portugal, japan, and infact we are one of only a few countries that havent had a crashed housing market,

i ended of course stateing that $300k for dog box here is the last thing i would do witht he cash from a decent job.

i tried talking numbers to wich he bellowed " you are not listening to me " but INACT HE WASNT LISTENING TO ME

ended up he gave up on me as a morom or some such and stormed off with his head and ears closed. I dontn think i got thru AT ALL

Sounds just like house price debates on forums! laugh.gif

Time stamp 12.56am cheers.gif

I'm finally going through with my transfer from ACT to Adelaide - this Xmas we are going to do it, come hell or high water. Had enough of the ACT:)

These are a bit out of the city but near what is apparently a couple of reasonable schools and compared to anything in ACT, they represent excellent value. Admittedly, they may still be a little bubbly in price but they are nothing next to what I am used to.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-old+noarlunga-112286487

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaford-111770115

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaford-112035319

I'm finally going through with my transfer from ACT to Adelaide - this Xmas we are going to do it, come hell or high water. Had enough of the ACT:)

These are a bit out of the city but near what is apparently a couple of reasonable schools and compared to anything in ACT, they represent excellent value. Admittedly, they may still be a little bubbly in price but they are nothing next to what I am used to.

http://www.realestat...lunga-112286487

http://www.realestat...aford-111770115

http://www.realestat...aford-112035319

nice place , that seaford is a realtively new hood. i still think theyre reALLY EXPENSIVE PLACE, BUT THEN i look at usa house prices too much. Im sure they are bargains compared to ACT and good on you for getting out of that hell hole, Do you have a job already set to go and is the income comparable, and enough to pay for these mortgages? im guessing so, Please dont tell me you will be paying caash , otr i may get depressed.

I don't have enough cash Goose - I wish :) Just have 2 FHSA nearing maturity, so would still be looking at a 250-300k loan. My transfer is on federal wages but I have to drop back from EL1 to APS6. Initially it is only 12 months however, so will be renting pending what happens. If I get to stay, I could see myself buying in a southern coastal area of Adelaide - 9 years in the ACT and I couldn't ever really see myself buying.

I don't have enough cash Goose - I wish :)/>/>/> Just have 2 FHSA nearing maturity, so would still be looking at a 250-300k loan. My transfer is on federal wages but I have to drop back from EL1 to APS6. Initially it is only 12 months however, so will be renting pending what happens. If I get to stay, I could see myself buying in a southern coastal area of Adelaide - 9 years in the ACT and I couldn't ever really see myself buying.

I'd strongly recommend the renting before buying strategy. :)/>

The subtleties of the benefits of one suburb over another are much easier to assess when you are actually living there...and water-cooler gossip is a big help, too.

Also you might find both those suburbs are a lousy commute if you are based in Adelaide proper, as access from the south is a bit bottle-necked.

However if you are based down south, in Noarlunga say, they might be ideal.

Let me be the first to welcome you to sunny Adelaide, in any case. :)/>

It's a great place to raise a family and (compared to Canberra anyway) there is a pretty good lifestyle here for those who are enterprising enough to pursue it.

If you have any questions etc regarding the practicalities of moving here, feel free to ask.

If you have any questions etc regarding the practicalities of moving here, feel free to ask.

Best doctor?

Best dentist?

Best solicitor?

Best real estate agent (Do such people exist?)

Best routes to work?

Best restaurant?

Best school?

Best shopping centre?

Best pub? (Maybe this should be first!)

Best/only electricity company to deal with?

Best internet provider?

Garbage collection?

Nearest hospital?

Nearest bus stop?

These are just a few that I've encountered on moves.

well they are extending the rail from noarlunga down to seaford, so that should make it a better transport run to adel,. i know from people ATM its a sh*t hole for busses

Best doctor?

Best dentist?

Best solicitor?

Best real estate agent (Do such people exist?)

Best routes to work?

Best restaurant?

Best school?

Best shopping centre?

Best pub? (Maybe this should be first!)

Best/only electricity company to deal with?

Best internet provider?

Garbage collection?

Nearest hospital?

Nearest bus stop?

These are just a few that I've encountered on moves.

I'd be happy to do my best on those but , you know, Adelaide is a little bit bigger than your average country town (almost a million people now) and so it might be a bit more useful if we had a location to work with.

Some of those are easy though...

Restaurant - none, you are too late - you should have been here in the 1980's, we led the nation in nouvelle cuisine back then. Molecular gastronomy just hasn't been able to catch our attention, I'm afraid.

Dentist - too easy; my mother

Garbage collection - Burnside Council area wins hands down, they are up to three separate bins for recyclables and a fourth additional basket for compostables. If you are illiterate or uninterested in saving the planet, you are not eligible for residency in this council area

School - Saint Peters for boys you want to make (or break), Wilderness for their sisters, Pembroke for human beings, and dear old Brighton High if you have no money...

Electricity - anyone other than AGL

Hospital - Wakefield st.

Bus stop - Well, there are several contenders, but personally I've always been partial to No 17 on Unley Rd. :)/>

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-old+noarlunga-112286487

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaford-111770115

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaford-112035319

I can't believe there are so many properties with a 3 in front of them. Can't blame you for leaving Umm. Of course once you leave we will have a March election which Labor will lose and Tony will eviscerate the APS and Canberra property prices will plummet. :D

Mrs ummester is from Adelaide, so there are inlaws there to show us around. Currently trying to decide on schools and then get a rental in the zone and walking distance for the boys - youngest is still in primary, so that is why we are looking at Seaford - there is a Catholic primary (half the cost of ACT private primarys) next to a high school that doesn't seem to have a bad rep.

My dept is already undergoing massive shake up clown but my branch is positioned more in Adelaide and there is a big IT hub there. I agree with you though - the future looks bleak for ACT house prices. So much being built ATM and nothing really moving. A year or 2 down the track, when redudancy is forced and there will have to be price drops.

Oh, father in law says the railway is offline for electrical changeover or something? I am a bit worried about the commute from the southern suburbs but I'd rather spend an hour on buses and come home to the beach:)

Oh, father in law says the railway is offline for electrical changeover or something? I am a bit worried about the commute from the southern suburbs but I'd rather spend an hour on buses and come home to the beach:)

Yes but that is only temporary.

The commute will never be a particularly swift one, though, I don't think. But the beaches are lovely.

You are home and hosed if you have family here - this town runs on insider information, so it looks like you are set.

Hopefully it will be a smooth transition Ruffian. mr ummester is allowed a transfer with her work also, so that is another bonus. Want to find a rental with a pool for the kids and that is proving to be a bugger:) Anyone know where else I should look other than realeastate.com?

Hopefully it will be a smooth transition Ruffian. mr ummester is allowed a transfer with her work also, so that is another bonus. Want to find a rental with a pool for the kids and that is proving to be a bugger:) Anyone know where else I should look other than realeastate.com?

The intragovernmental "for sale" noticeboard has just about everything (houses, furniture, pets etc) for sale or rent at some stage, all courtesy of your friendly local governmental workers. You need to have access to the SA governmental intranet, though.

You could also try gumtree, they often have rentals.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-real-estate/adelaide/c9296l3006878

Re Adelaide, interested to know how much everyone thinks this house is worth? I quite like it from the advert but wouldn't pay that much

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaford+rise-111087675

It's a big house on a big block, on a good street with good views.

The agent has given a price range and the bottom end of the range ($450k) doesn't seem that unrealistic, except in as much as all house prices seem unrealistic these days.

Personally I think the upper end of the range has been set hoping someone will fall in love with the current owner's decor as much as with the house itself.

It's a big house on a big block, on a good street with good views.

If you go to street view, it looks the view pic has been taken from on top of the roof.

This one also with sea views went for $440K with an extra bedroom but slightly smaller block. (But it does have a flagpole - I'd ditch the Aussie and hoist the Jolly Roger but that's just me) An 850m2 with sea views looks amazingly good value but I'm conditioned by Canberry. Offer them $420K and see if they set the dogs on you. :)/>