Mr Medved

DB error today 2012-09-16)

60 posts in this topic

Another DB error brings the forums down... I think you need to hire Tor to fix your DB. :)

It took a few days to recover from this one!

It took a few days to recover from this one!

I thought RE might have decided to pull the plug. There's so few posts here now days. 

I thought RE might have decided to pull the plug. There's so few posts here now days. 

Quality over quantity!

We have all accepted that the world is nothing but a scam. I have adapted in some sense. I have become a "Yes Man". It makes life easier and its quite fun as well.

I would like the site to remain, but I wouldn't blame RE if she did take it down.

I think there is a place for the contrarians, and those who see another perspective to this crazy reality called life. RE has provided us with place to hang out since GHPC suddenly imploded at the height of the crisis.

I think this site will again become important should we face another downturn. (But I have no real idea now, when that might be.)

I guess I've become a kind of cynical passive and reluctant participant in the organism.

I thought for a while that we might have been able to make a difference. For the past 3 years I've shifted that opinion.

I can't see Australian societal attitudes changing about housing. Its still full steam ahead, as far as I can tell.

First time buyers have simply given up and their place has been actively pursued by the banks for replacement by investors.

That seems to be happening from foreign money, but I can't discount the domestic contribution. Still plenty of money around it seems.

I still like the calibre of contribution from time to time on here, and I continue to hold my opinion that there are some very worthwhile subjects discussed.

So whilst I don't post anywhere near as much as I once did, I still appreciate the opportunity to contribute to the conversation, if the site remains.

We need to think of another way to communicate (anonymously) should this site go down permanently, without having to exchange personal details.

Any ideas?

The mistake most of us made is that we believed there is a way to fix this system. There is no fix because it requires none. The system behaves according to its parameters and limitations.

The site is not important. People convene in one way or another if they feel a need to.

I have almost no need for expression at this point. The system is as it is. You have the choice to make decisions within the system and find out of you advance or decline.

Edited by sydney3000

It would be a shame to lose some of the great threads on this site. GHPC was my entry point but this site has been a hoot and far longer lived from my point of view. I'd hate to lose the opportunity to post and hear from you good folk. I'm happy to kick in some fat stacks to keep the site alive.

Alternatively, if RE wants to ditch the site I'd be happy enough to take over the domain.

I do like having a place on the web where I can rant have my say. I only wish that the army of spam bots didn't preclude any new members joining and contributing...

Another DB error and the site is down. I know isn't cheap but maybe get him on the job. :)

cheaper to reboot the server!  :P

Wrong platform for me and all I do is tell me their sh*t is broken nowadays. Apparently that is a saleable skill.

(admittedly I tell them how to fix it usually and realistically if this ran on MS SQL I would have chucked the maintenance / monitoring on here for free anyway, I do the free stuff for enough places already because of my bleeding heart liberal attitudes).

Wrong platform for me and all I do is tell me their sh*t is broken nowadays. Apparently that is a saleable skill.

(admittedly I tell them how to fix it usually and realistically if this ran on MS SQL I would have chucked the maintenance / monitoring on here for free anyway, I do the free stuff for enough places already because of my bleeding heart liberal attitudes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQ6eHeBrhM

If I had the access I could reboot the server myself. Alas I don't. I email RE as soon as I see the error. I only have the whois mail address however and I don't know how often it is checked. Not that often apparently. All the same I don't like to nag. People have a life that doesn't necessarily revolve around forums... 

I'm happy to stand up a server to carry on this forum. I'd hate to lose the history. 

I usually check in every couple of days. (Catch up on Marty's ravings....Hehe)

I couldn't the other day, and wondered if that was the end of it.

Like you staring clown. I would dislike losing the history that has been accumulated on this site over a considerable period of time.

"If" If what Marty is saying eventuates the lead up materials could be a helpful resource for analysing what happened.

However, I have no idea what "standing up a server" means, and I would assume you require RE's permission to simply acquire her site.

Is it a financial issue, or simply lack of maintenance?

I was thinking that maybe we ought to all flick our email addresses to a moderator that we love and adore and then if the forum went down forever the mod could at least organise a regroup somewhere. If a mod were willing to admit to being a mod that is of course...

I was thinking that maybe we ought to all flick our email addresses to a moderator that we love and adore and then if the forum went down forever the mod could at least organise a regroup somewhere. If a mod were willing to admit to being a mod that is of course...

... or LinkedIn if people are comfortable with that...?

I'm a mod and proud of it!  Though I do prefer faceless anonymity.  :) It makes it far easier to be a complete bastard.

I already have everyones email addresses (at least the ones they registered with) but I haven't recorded them. That would be weird and cyber-stalky.

With the permission of individual members I am happy to be a centralised repository for a contact list in in the event of catastrophic failure of the forum. It's been at least six years that we have been trading views. It really would be a shame to lose contact... 

Anyhoo, it should be voluntary so all those that wish to be notified of a new gathering point in the event of a catastrophe should PM me with consent to spam.

Otherwise, I won't include you in any phoenix-like rising of this little splinter group of the mighty GHPC in any new forum.

Love youse all. :wink_kiss: