staringclown

Gonski

32 posts in this topic

You don't know my old man. :)

I'll confirm next time I see him. BTW he wanted to break the school record, so it was a one-off.

50 cuts in one day and his fingers would have fallen/broken off!

I don't know about others, but I hated (secondary) school. Hardly a member of my family 'liked' it. I went to both public and private schools (but not one of the expensive ones) and didn't notice a great deal of difference in quality.

Gets me thinking about education for my own family. TBH I'd be happy for the gubment to rip the shreds out of education funding as I don't think I'd send my children to a government-run school. Better off looking at alternatives such as Steiner or Montessori (mostly privately operated) or simply home schooling.

I actually take the opposite view. Public monies should go 100% to public schools. I don't see why tax payers should be funding the upkeep of vast tracts of land/gardens at places like Kings.

I actually take the opposite view. Public monies should go 100% to public schools. I don't see why tax payers should be funding the upkeep of vast tracts of land/gardens at places like Kings.

but they need a third swimming pool!

1 person likes this

It's similar to the argument of the private health insurance rebate. If there is zero rebate/government funding, then there is greater strain on government-provided services. There may be (or exists) a trade-off point where it actually makes financial sense to provide a rebate/government funding.

The unpalatble thing about the Libs is that they are so blatantly biased towards high income earners and big business - even worse IMO than when Howard was in Canberra, so they tend to skew too far in favour of the posh private schools.

It's similar to the argument of the private health insurance rebate. If there is zero rebate/government funding, then there is greater strain on government-provided services. There may be (or exists) a trade-off point where it actually makes financial sense to provide a rebate/government funding.

I agree with Cobran that the funding could be limited or means tested, like all other subsidies and assistance (other than Neg gearing).  The narrative, when I was young and at private school, was that the private schools were relieving the government of the cost of providing 'state' education and so it was revenue neutral or a benefit for the government to provide some funding.  However if the school has surplus savings or a lot of assets, especially outside of the school grounds, it might be appropriate for them to sell them or even use them as security for subsidised loans/assistance.  It is also possible that funding could be means tested on parental income but the expensive schools may have the parents with the greatest ability and appetite for tax minimisation.

Your suggestion about the strain on services sounds rational, but the spending goes to the schools not the fee payer, so it could also be a case of the private school 'market' finding the price without goverment funds.

The health insurance rebate I don't understand.

i must have " mis heard" that they where going to f*ck over school funding.  bottom line,  "you should know im lying  while my  lips are flapping,."

anyhow got a new nick name, tony the trog

Edited by savagegoose

The health insurance rebate I don't understand.

I am not 100% sure but wasn't that a lobbyist thing that came in when the medicare rebate was announced to fund our Indonesian invasion?