tor

S&S World tour

719 posts in this topic

I don't use hotels much for non work travel.

I was reading through the travel section and noticed an ad for a package holiday, which included:

FREE check in/out

WTF?

Just got back from a week in Cambodia. Interesting place. Going back for three months next year to look into the opportunities a bit better. Apparently insanely corrupt (which might put a crimp in my current ideas) but also insanely growth. Also insanely being bought up by the chinese, they are definitely getting in while the getting in is cheap.

21 hours ago, tor said:

Just got back from a week in Cambodia. Interesting place. Going back for three months next year to look into the opportunities a bit better. Apparently insanely corrupt (which might put a crimp in my current ideas) but also insanely growth. Also insanely being bought up by the chinese, they are definitely getting in while the getting in is cheap.

The Cambodian government sold out to the chinese as part of the One Belt One Road initiative by the chinese, who now are literally taking over many parts around that part of the world. The chinese have full control over any development, including bringing their own labour.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:13 AM, cobran20 said:

The Cambodian government sold out to the chinese as part of the One Belt One Road initiative by the chinese, who now are literally taking over many parts around that part of the world. The chinese have full control over any development, including bringing their own labour.

Given the cost of labour in Cambodia I am not sure bringing their own in (for unskilled stuff) would be worth it. Minimum wage is about $120 a month, average is about $350 a month I believe.

5 hours ago, tor said:

Given the cost of labour in Cambodia I am not sure bringing their own in (for unskilled stuff) would be worth it. Minimum wage is about $120 a month, average is about $350 a month I believe.

I suspect they bring their own to control everything (as the chinese government likes to do) and avoid any language issues.

21 hours ago, tor said:

Issue is not so much money, but social cohesion. Bringing in labour means those people are not unemployed and starving in China.

From the article it looks like the former Malaysian government were incompetent and/or corrupt (i.e. not the chinese).

Shame about the high speed rail Malaysia / Singapore. We are likely to be making that trip a fair bit in future and while Singapore airport is far and away the best in the world I do like a fast train picnic.

5 hours ago, tor said:

From the article it looks like the former Malaysian government were incompetent and/or corrupt (i.e. not the chinese).

Shame about the high speed rail Malaysia / Singapore. We are likely to be making that trip a fair bit in future and while Singapore airport is far and away the best in the world I do like a fast train picnic.

Yes, corrupt to accept the bribery from the chinese to sign up to their belt&road scheme. Same with all the other Asian countries. Their infrastructure loans are not free and if you don't meet payments, they confiscate (ie. takeover).

The malaysian government were corrupt not incompetent. They were extremely competent at being corrupt. Just ask Najib. Might get better but given the history between Mahatir and anwar ibrahim maybe not so much. Cambodia on the other hand are also corrupt but no where near as practised. It's the wild west at the moment. High risk but in need of help, they will bend over backward for you before in a few years seizing you assets. They're not particularly idealogical. Just plain dishonest. Good time to get in as long as you know when to get out. And don't get on the wrong side of their politics. Which means understanding their politics. Hence my risk comment.

Had a funny experience in Kyiv. Had one night before flying to Minsk, organised an apartment hotel via booking.com. Rock up to the building, the place is on the sixth floor of the building... and of course the lift wasn't working sohad to lug 30kg of luggage up stairs. Not fun. 

Get to the top floor, no lights, no reception, nothing. Didn't have a sim card so went down a few floors where some guys were doing repairs in the stair well. In my broken Russian asked them if I was in the right building, apparently I was. They called the place for me and confirmed I was in the right place and should go back up to the sixth floor. So I lug my bags back up, still no lights but a door was open. The place had no power but for some reason the television worked. The lady there tried to convince me to stay, but as wifi wouldn't work I asked for a refund.

Made my way back down to the street, no idea what to do. Approached a guy leaving the same building and asked if he knew any cheap hotels nearby. By the grace of God I got lucky. He worked for a mid-size rental agency for short-term rentals. How lucky can you get, lol. We walked to his office to collect the keys then went to the apartment. Ended up cheaper and slightly better location. Used the company again this week, will probably use them again when I'm back here in September.

It's damn hot here so good thing there is air conditioning. Unfortunately have a cold so didn't get out much today.

20180803-kyiv-02.JPG

20180803-kyiv-03.JPG

20180803-kyiv-04.JPG

20180803-kyiv-05.JPG

Spent the weekend in Minsk. been almost 15 years since I've been there. The apartment via Airbnb was perfect except for one thing - no a/c.

It's quite a clean and green city, at least in the centre. Lots of nice parks along the river and another not far from the centre that is more like a forest with amusement rides. Didn't get to as many places as I'd hoped but still had a good time. Belarus is now 30 days visa free if you enter/exit via the airport (and not via Russia). They still make you pay obligatory health insurance at the airport though, a little money earner for the government. The centre has a relatively new bar district which is quite nice if you want a drinking tour in Eastern Europe.

20180804-minsk-01 -small.JPG

P1022078 - Copy.JPG

P1022088 - Copy.JPG

P1022112 - Copy.JPG

P1022123 - Copy.JPG

P1022150 - Copy.JPG

Spent a few days in Moscow. I seem to enjoy it more each time I go there. I know a lot of people don't like it because it is a big, busy city but it is at least nice for a short period of time.

P1022246 - Copy.JPG

P1022252 - Copy.JPG

P1022264 - Copy.JPG

P1022270 - Copy.JPG

P1022297 - Copy.JPG

P1022301 - Copy.JPG

What's with the weird circle of overexposure in the photos?

That's what happens when you shoot using microfilm. :)

It's one of the fancy settings on my camera.

Was in Siberia, now in Kazakhstan. May post photos when I get back to Oz. Siberia was fun.