tor

S&S World tour

681 posts in this topic

Most are brick or concrete, older ones are wood (on the outside) but not that common.

It's not unusual for older buildings to have exterior walls with a thickness of over half a metre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Medved said:

Most are brick or concrete, older ones are wood (on the outside) but not that common.

It's not unusual for older buildings to have exterior walls with a thickness of over half a metre.

What about heating? Doesn't look like cooling is required there in summer too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Polish houses like this I have been to out on farms and such have little heating outside of the main room which acts as kitchen / lounge / dining room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cobran20 said:

What about heating? Doesn't look like cooling is required there in summer too much.

Apartment buildings are generally what people live in. It is normally a centralised hot water system for the entire building heating water pipes next to external walls, so often no way to regulate temperature except for opening windows. For standalone houses it is common to have a smaller version with coal/wood heating. The stove heats up water which passes through pipes to keep the walls warm.

As long as the system functions properly it's a comfortable temperature. When I lived in Canada the house was sufficiently heated that I could walk around in a t-shirt and shorts. The same in Central Asia except for close to the wall, but I think that's because the heater wasn't working properly and I was sleeping on the floor.

Heating costs around 1000AUD/year (I think) for apartment buildings but depends on cubic metre size of the apartment.

Summers can get hot. Nothing like Australia but can get above 30. I've never spent a summer in the northern hemisphere so can't speak from experience.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-2-18 at 4:55 PM, tor said:

The Polish houses like this I have been to out on farms and such have little heating outside of the main room which acts as kitchen / lounge / dining room.

Hey Tor, have you become the half arsed blogger? :)

It's always nice to read your trip reports, sounds like you've been on the road a bit lately.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mr Medved said:

Hey Tor, have you become the half arsed blogger? :)

It's always nice to read your trip reports, sounds like you've been on the road a bit lately.

Sorry been busy teaching the world bayonet fighting; my next 2 companies are for that and I made it to the "Board of International Something or Other" for the All Japan Bayonet Stabby Stabby Federation. So prepping for the world domination and the Olympics is taking a sh*t load of time. My half arsed jokes on the travel blog might have been mildly amusing but they took a ton of time.

If you only really liked my captions you can follow me on face book where I tend to post pictures of our travels with varying degrees of witty / sarcastic / drunk captions. I have albums of streetlights and calligraphy! plus usual random sh*t. Pretty easy to find me and it is all public.

In a couple months one of the new companies apparently will require me to be a half arsed dick writing sh*t about stuff and when I do I'll let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now