tor

S&S World tour

679 posts in this topic

But I do dig the NK guys sunglasses...

He's certainly better dressed than the USAn lesbian to his right. He's well dressed for an NK official. They usually look like they're dressed in third-hand soviet hand me downs - pretty embarrassing for a country that's trying to thump it's chest. 

Drinking beer in Rue Cler. Market st in Paris.

I've discovered the secret to communication in France. All you need do is speak English with a French accent adding to the pronunciation word endings that you think should be French... The French love this. Besides every time I attempt actual French they reply in English. It's uncanny how they know...

post-106-0-63075700-1462288719_thumb.jpeg

Met up with Anders in London and had a very pleasant evening. Five pints of lager and a curry in brick lane. Well at least I did. Ms clown and Anders piked it at the third pint...

anders_zpswox66vhl.jpg

Is that like Tor, in that you caught up with him six months ago and just posting now?

I think it was two weeks ago or thereabouts. It's funny, it felt like I was meeting an old friend. There's definitely something to be said for online chat.  :)

Heh... Tor if you're looking for a new computer this guy might help you out:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-05/how-abenomics-fails-japanese-firms-choose-salvaged-computer-parts-over-investment

I kinda have a soft spot for that side of Japan. The stereo in the little ones' room died today so I pulled out the trust ol' iRiver and speakers that are 15-20 years old... worked a treat with a minor amount of scotch tape. :)

Met up with Anders in London and had a very pleasant evening. Five pints of lager and a curry in brick lane. Well at least I did. Ms clown and Anders piked it at the third pint...

It was great fun to meet up with you and Ms clown! And thanks for shouting the curry.

Sorry I didn't put in a better effort with the beers. I had a limited leave pass for the evening. Being in Britain and all, next time I'll put in a stirling effort, old chap!

But when it comes to drinking a lot of beer, going for a drink with tor is a recipe for a hangover. Last time I did we spent hours and hours with a constant flow of Leffe (6.6% alcohol). But that was just warming up for tor and he started to get stuck into Duvel (8.5%) and eyeing other beers with above 10% alcohol content.

It\s a shame that beer drinking is not an Olympic sport. Because then tor would be categorised as a world class athlete.

It was great fun to meet up with you and Ms clown! And thanks for shouting the curry.

Sorry I didn't put in a better effort with the beers. I had a limited leave pass for the evening. Being in Britain and all, next time I'll put in a stirling effort, old chap!

But when it comes to drinking a lot of beer, going for a drink with tor is a recipe for a hangover. Last time I did we spent hours and hours with a constant flow of Leffe (6.6% alcohol). But that was just warming up for tor and he started to get stuck into Duvel (8.5%) and eyeing other beers with above 10% alcohol content.

It\s a shame that beer drinking is not an Olympic sport. Because then tor would be categorised as a world class athlete.

You're very welcome Anders. :-)

Tor is unique in his ability to imbibe large quantities and still form coherent sentences. Not necessarily intelligent but intelligible. :-) I failed on both counts and am therefore inferior to tor...

Having lived in London for 3 months now, I am clearly an expert on the city, ready to give you insightful observations about the place. I already feel like a native Londoneer Londonista Londonator Londonian person from London.

Jokes aside, it is an iconic city that has already been written about a million times. Still, it could be worth describing again, because, like all big cities, London is like a giant living organism that constantly changes. So the below story describes how today's run-of-the-mill average Korean-Swedish-Australian person experiences London.

It is a fascinating place - or rather, a crazy conglomerate of villages and local areas making up a complex melting pot of the whole world in one city. So far, I am really enjoying living here.

But in true whingeing pom style, let's start with the sh*t stuff first. London is infamously crowded, especially so during tourist season (which probably lasts 13 months of the year). The city is also dirty, stressful, and bewildering. You quickly learn to hate every touristy place and the massive throngs of people around every cliché symbol of the city.

262403-london-crowd.jpg

The worst way to discover the city is by taking the tube. The tube is by itself an efficient but thoroughly unpleasant and stressful experience, especially during rush hour. You quickly learn to hate it, being crowded with thousands of other people that also hate you and everybody else in there. What a way to start the day!

2F955B7B00000578-3371730-image-m-14_1450

Taking the tube also doesn't give you a good feel for the city. Walking or bike riding is by far the best way to get your bearings, feel for distances, and to see how the different neighbourhoods are connected. The "Boris Bikes" are great. They are officially called Santander Bikes. Cheap to rent and the bike stations are spaced out every 500 meters or so in the inner city.

boris_1959144c.jpg

So after a short while here your definition of luxury changes dramatically. You soon develop a yearning for some simple things in life - like air. And some tranquility would be really nice to have. Having housing in a quiet neighbourhood close to a park is highly attractive - and even more mind-bogglingly expensive than what is already an off-the-chart of mind-bogglingliness expensive city. London takes mind-bogglinglinessification to another level. Now I've run out of ways of using that term.

So my number one criterion for renting a place was that it must be located within bike ride distance from work. My dear wife and I settled for a modest 2 bedroom flat with an outdoor area in Queen's Park, luckily paying a mere Sydney-level rent of £365 per week. The westerly winds go over a park and a cemetery before reaching our nostrils, so we get a reasonable amount of oxygen - what luxury!

3qa6pua.jpg

My ride to work is 14 km and takes around 50 minutes door-to-door. That is quicker than walking to the nearest tube station, get a dose of hatred in the tube, and walking the last bit to work.

"What!? Ride a bike to work in rush hour in London? Ya mad, mate!" I hear you think. Well, mental health issues aside, riding a bike in London is a lot easier than I thought. The speed limit in the inner city is 20 mph (32 km/h) and the last few Lord Mayors have embarked on big campaigns and programs to make the city bike friendly. They have eight Cycle Superhighways, CS1 - CS8, with three more planned for the future. These CS have separate lanes with curbs along the main road.

This is my bike. I have totally ruined the look by fixing a rear rack on it, but how cool can an over 50's bloke look without lycra? Still, I think the pathetic bearded hipster idiots on fixies are so out of date already. Daggy normcore is the next big thing!

7B4XyrB.jpg

Well, that is all my reporting for now. I'll try to write another travel report later, if I survive the traffic, that is.

Not sure if this counts as part of this thread but this is pretty much the reason my travelogues stopped. I am now good enough to get beaten up by members of the Japanese military (which I am sure makes several people happy). I have the white ribbon on my back, he has red. I have now performed at the Budokan! Just like Cheap Trick!

Mrs Medved should be back tomorrow from Siberia. If she has any interesting photos or stories I'll post them here.

I'm just hoping for another huge crash in the ruble so property prices become even less expensive. Not that you can trust real estate agents, but the one my wife spoke with said since the ruble crashed in 2014 people are not really keen to buy property (except for foreigners).

10 minutes ago, Mr Medved said:

Is that when you take the bayonet off the rifle?

Yep. Then you stab the bugger for laughing at your dress :)

2 hours ago, tor said:

Not sure if this counts as part of this thread but this is pretty much the reason my travelogues stopped. I am now good enough to get beaten up by members of the Japanese military (which I am sure makes several people happy). I have the white ribbon on my back, he has red. I have now performed at the Budokan! Just like Cheap Trick!

As long as you come back to be our ninja. Australia and NZ will forgive you.

10 hours ago, staringclown said:

As long as you come back to be our ninja. Australia and NZ will forgive you.

Forgive me for comparing myself to Cheap Trick? fair enough - it was a bit ostentatious :)

Interestingly Japan has changed their immigration rules and if you make 70 pts on their checklist you can apply for PR after 3 years (used to be 5). If you get 80 pts then after 1 yr. A cultural visa can be extended to a max of 3 x 1yr periods (and each has about 3 months in between for the renewal process). We both already get the 70 pts I think, even without jobs here. We are probably going to see if we do qualify just because having another PR stamp can't hurt.

Hehe... on the timely topic of PRs, Mrs Medved returned to Australia to discover her PR visa had expired! Apparently it's not that permanent but expires every five years. Fortunately she's able to arrange a temporary one at the airport.

Mrs Medved spent a night in Moscow but forgot to take any photos, so this travelogue kicks off in Akadem. More formally it is known as Akademgorodok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akademgorodok

When the Soviets freaked out over Hitler and his crew they moved most of their best scientists there, so it has a rich history in science and academia. It's officially part of Novosibirsk but don't tell the locals (apparently some will be offended). It's also nicknamed the Silicon Taiga because of the number of IT companies based there, not the number of breast implants.

I think to get to the centre of Novosibirsk by public transport takes about an hour or so, if you're in a car it depends on the amount of traffic and weather conditions.

If I had to bunker out somewhere this would be high on the list (though I've never been there). I figure it's a good idea to live around people who are a lot smarter than me. The forests are nice too.

The friend Mrs Medved stayed with has a husband who is a physicist or something, so he gets an apartment for free. It seems like apartments are a similar price in Akadem as in the city centre so that also says it's a nice place to live.

20170206_131030.jpg

20170206_131044.jpg

20170206_152547.jpg

20170206_153419.jpg

20170207_155049.jpg

20170208_175449.jpg

20170208_180556.jpg

On 2/16/2017 at 9:12 PM, Mr Medved said:

Mrs Medved spent a night in Moscow but forgot to take any photos, so this travelogue kicks off in Akadem. More formally it is known as Akademgorodok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akademgorodok

When the Soviets freaked out over Hitler and his crew they moved most of their best scientists there, so it has a rich history in science and academia. It's officially part of Novosibirsk but don't tell the locals (apparently some will be offended). It's also nicknamed the Silicon Taiga because of the number of IT companies based there, not the number of breast implants.

I think to get to the centre of Novosibirsk by public transport takes about an hour or so, if you're in a car it depends on the amount of traffic and weather conditions.

If I had to bunker out somewhere this would be high on the list (though I've never been there). I figure it's a good idea to live around people who are a lot smarter than me. The forests are nice too.

The friend Mrs Medved stayed with has a husband who is a physicist or something, so he gets an apartment for free. It seems like apartments are a similar price in Akadem as in the city centre so that also says it's a nice place to live

20170206_152547.jpg

I hope those buildings have better insulation than the average crap they build here. Is the above built of brick or wood?