tor

S&S World tour

712 posts in this topic

You didn't actually eat all those hot dogs did you?

I could have back in my school days (a close 2nd in an eating contest) but doubt I'd get anywhere near that many these days.

Off to Japan in a week from now, looking forward to it. Will hang out with Tor in Nagoya, unfortunately dates didn't work out to wear fancy armour and ride horses. The flip side of sleeping on Tor's floor is that I'll have a week to follow in five-star hotels. :)

It's funny, I feel a little under-prepared yet have all accommodation and flights sorted except for my final night. Hopefully the weather isn't too wet or cold, I don't have proper winter gear.

Hey Mr M, I know you will anyway, but have a great time. And please post any tales of your journey.  :)

Thanks SC! Meeting up with Tor on Wednesday for an induction in all things Japanese (though will be my third trip there). Will be taking plenty of photos, just need to remember to keep it charged!

Will post more once back in Oz but:

1. Japan is good so far.

2. Tor drinks a lot.

3. Tor really drinks a lot.

4. Having fun.

:)

Will post more once back in Oz but:

1. Japan is good so far.

2. Tor drinks a lot.

3. Tor really drinks a lot.

4. Having fun.

:)

He does drink a lot but by Odin he can hold it.  :yes:  Can't wait to hear about the trip!

The trick is to be so half arsed when sober that no one notices when you are drunk :)

The trick is to be so half arsed when sober that no one notices when you are drunk :)

I know a lot of half arsed people. You are not among them.  ;)

I know a lot of half arsed people. You are not among them.  ;)

Tor is definitely in the full arse category.

Day 1 (Wed) - Nagoya Welcomes Mr Medved

I flew out of Oz on Singapore Airlines. I tried "special" menus for the first time. On the first flight I had a no carb meal containing a pasta salad and bread roll (epic fail), then on the second flight had cheese and sauces in a raw foods meal (fail). So hard to get something so simple right...

I arrived in Nagoya in the morning and was in no hurry, so hung out with a volunteer worker at Nagoya Airport for half an hour or more. She was extremely kind and helpful, even picked out some books for me two floors up. I gave her a small gift (toy kangaroo) in gratitude. She said it was the first time she'd ever received a gift from a traveller.

I made my way to the Best Western hotel in Sakae, was staying there one night. Transportation is dead easy in the big cities in Japan. I dumped my bags and went walking to check out the sites in Sakae.

48f6ef471657945.jpg 0ebab2471657967.jpg

I returned a couple hours later to check in and meet up with Tor. His place was only a few blocks away so 

We hung out all afternoon at his place with the Polish Princess. I can confirm the stories about Tor and beer are true - he does love a beer. I received an initiation in bayonet fighting and quickly concluded I am no good. Their friend Conrad dropped by for beers, then left. We headed out around the corner to the Tiger Bar for some (more) beer and tebasaki. I almost exclusively drink misu.

ef83a3471657978.jpg 64aa23471657984.jpg 94b7d3471657989.jpg

My friend in Tokyo who is a massive baseball fan said Tigers fans are crazy, so sounds like a good fit for Tor. :)

We then headed across town to another place to catch up with Conrad and his boss for dinner. I think the place was called Market Brewing.

1069e7471658056.jpg

Asides from edamame I couldn't tell you what the food was called, but it was tasty. Not all that healthy, but tasty. 

a90207471658016.jpg 2a9da1471658007.jpg 5d419f471657998.jpg d2e770471658037.jpg de6bd7471658047.jpg

I was surprised how much alcohol the others consumed, they drank more beer than I did water. After an enjoyable night out on the town it was time to get some beauty sleep as I'd been up all day to try and avoid the worst of jet lag.

Day 2 (Thu) - A Quiet Day in Nagoya

Thursday was the only day of the trip that I really didn't have a busy schedule, so I allowed myself to sleep in. I caught up briefly with Tor and the Polish Princess before they headed off for weekend training, and went walking around Nagoya with Conrad (known as Condor by some locals).

6ddcb3471789384.jpg

My first trip to Nagoya was 13 years ago and didn't see much of the city, so it was nice to wander around and explore without care.

85d96f471789419.jpg 136c95471789449.jpg

I was advised to check out the basement at Mitsukoshi department store. Apparently Takashiyama is also nice too. I decided to pass on the 10,800JPY melon, 10,800JPY mango, and 16,200JPY set of nine strawberries.

8cca97471789477.jpg 222e39471789524.jpg 11dca9471789503.jpg

The cakes looked absolutely lovely though I've decided to remove sugary foods from my diet so just enjoyed the visual presentations.

cc1e92471789537.jpg b01b58471789551.jpg f9d104471789565.jpg

After a long day of walking I was looking forward to dinner. Tor suggested trying Japanese curry, so visited CoCo Ichiban. You can custom select your meal which was handy for me, as I didn't want rice. 

d1b93d471789603.jpg 274767471789588.jpg

As a fan of Indian curries I wasn't really a fan of this curry, so decided to head across the road to Watamin-Chi for some more food. The caesar salad was at best passable but the meat was delicious.

685f06471789580.jpg 98c2c2471789623.jpg 9faa13471789640.jpg a42703471789655.jpg

Tomorrow I'd be off for a visit to Toyota City for their plant tour.

Day 3 (Fri) - Toyota Plant Tour

I woke early to catch the train out of Nagoya to attend the Toyota plant tour. It's a good thing I did get up early as the ticket salesman advised me to get on a local service train that took an extra 25 minutes.

The main Toyota headquarters is a relatively new building. They are very touchy about photos, one man declined taking a photo for me with the building in the background, a second time I was yelled at by a security guard for attempting to take a picture of a statue. Apparently this is a Japanese thing, not a Toyota thing.

891f79471790737.jpg

Before the plant tour you can visit their museum, complete with a robot that plays the violin. Last year it played a trumpet. The plant tour itself was ok but not as exciting as I thought it would be. The Mirai ("Future") is a new car only available in Japan. The plant I visited only produces nine per day.

0b88ad471790745.jpg 0e85a1471790753.jpg 134670471790765.jpg 757e70471790770.jpg 711115471790775.jpg

I made my way back to Nagoya to freshen up and get ready for dinner, so skipped on hand drip coffee. Getting around on the metro was a lot quicker than walking. :)

68db33471790788.jpg c93086471790793.jpg 590753471790798.jpg 6d99ab471790804.jpg

I had dinner with my sensei/friend and his wife, and another guy on the same study mission. We went to a ritzy hotel in the same building as the Marriott. Food is ordered via an iPad and sent on a conveyer belt. It was amazingly filling though forgot to take any photos of the food.

Tomorrow I'd be catching up with my mother who was in Japan on business and happened to spend a day in Nagoya while I was there.

Thanks for the trip report.

Japan seems to be the "in" destination these days:

640px-Foreign_tourist_visited_Japan.svg.

My friend in Tokyo said there are heaps more tourists visiting, particularly from China.

The purpose of my visit was a little different from most tourists, a sneak peak can be found here - http://www.lean2016.com/