tor

S&S World tour

712 posts in this topic

Enjoying the latest.  :)

You're jukendo vids led on a bit of a journey. I'm always amazed at how technical the Japanese make everything in a quest for perfection. I caught an episode of Anthony Bourdain in Japan at a cocktail bar last night. The barman chipped a large block of ice into a sphere to minimise the surface area of the ice and maintain the strength of the spirit. Then he made a bloody mary from fresh tomato. The cocktails he made looked amazing but if you were after a quick drink you'd be better off somewhere else. This was the equivalent of a booze tea ceremony.

Also, I came across this link and thought about you guys... Not quite the seven samurai

http://www.urbanenomads.com/tours/ottoman-style-horseback-archery-and-cirit/

I live here now :) we got cultural visas and can hang about for 3 years. Currently looking for a slightly larger apartment in Nagoya with a spare room. Given the speed at which this is being accomplished I can't promise a place to crash but maybe.

Edit: Oh and you are staying in Nagoya most of the time. That hotel is 15 minutes from where we live at the moment.

Nagoya doesn't have what you might call a sh*tload of cultural / tourist stuff, I think we have the jukendo prefecture tournaments around that date, aside from that mostly I can promise food and booze :)

Edited by tor

90% confirmed for Japan in March. Hopefully will be 100% confirmed by the end of next week.

Lemme know about tournament dates, I may be bouncing around between Nagoya, Tokyo and Osaka. I am used to backpacking so a clean floor is suitable accommodation short of a sofa, bed, etc. :)

Edited by Mr Medved

Our weekend schedule for march as it stands:

2016-03-05/6     International Seminar Katsuura (near Tokyo, you won't want to do this but we'll be busy)
2015-03-12    Sunflower club (local Naginata training, couple of hours)
2015-03-13    Tendo Ryu Itami (Old style naginata training, most of the day in a nice old dojo very pretty)
2015-03-20    Jukendo / Tankendo Prefecture Championships (I think this is at one of the bases near Nagoya, I assume an all day thing)
2015-03-26/7    Tendo Ryu Yamagata (wayyyyyyyy up north, you won't want to do this but we'll be busy)

Renting an apartment is looking tricky again (wrong visas, no company sponsoring us etc) and our current apartment doesn't have spare floor at all so if we don't have a place by march teh best we can do is telly you local places (there are a couple of Love hotels up the road, we stayed in one last trip to Kyoto, much nicer than the business hotels and has massage chairs and such :))

For Tendo or Jukendo you would probably get bored after an hour or so (I do when watching) but Itami has stuff to do and Tan/Ju I don't expect to be involved after the first round :)

Sounds cool. I just realised yesterday I only have a week of annual leave, so anything more will be unpaid leave.  :down:

Do they have hostels in Japan? I'm low maintenance so prefer cheap. If my work chips in for something I'll be more inclined to stay at hotels. Are you competing at all those events? If so that's a busy schedule!

Edited by Mr Medved

They are all just training except for the prefecture competition. But yeah we keep busy, I think we are currently averaging 30hrs a week of training and 6 of japanese classes.

There are YHA hostels in Japan but none in Nagoya according to their webpage. Try looking here: http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.Nagoya/ChosenCountry.Japan

We are in Shinsakae on the Higashiyama subway line. Sakae is the "Shopping / Nightlife" Suburb.

Bah! Looks like the tour is full so I'll have to wait and see if there is a cancellation, so I'm looking unlikely for Japan this year.

We're here for at least a year and probably 3...

Looks like I'm on my way to Japan. Will start in Nagoya, and start the tour on Saturday evening of 5th March but planning to come a few days earlier. Leave via Tokyo.

A spare bed/couch/floor would be most appreciated. :)

A new avenue of accomadation has opened, we might actually live somewhere decent by then :)

If not keep in mind cheap arse  hotels are widespread here if you read japanese or are risky enough to just wander and try. Otherwise we have the floor that has been sullied by the the clown:)

We are actually away for the weekend of the fifth so if you turned up on the thrid or so we could give you keys and point you at good places to eat.

Yeah I noticed you were near Tokyo that weekend. :)

I'm still to confirm if I'm going to be in Osaka prior so dates not fully confirmed. Weekend of 11-12 I'll be in Tokyo... too bad the dates didn't quite line up.

A new avenue of accomadation has opened, we might actually live somewhere decent by then :)

If not keep in mind cheap arse  hotels are widespread here if you read japanese or are risky enough to just wander and try. Otherwise we have the floor that has been sullied by the the clown:)

We are actually away for the weekend of the fifth so if you turned up on the thrid or so we could give you keys and point you at good places to eat.

I barely remember your floor though I do remember there was one. Otherwise I would have fallen six storeys to my doom.

I think the term you are looking for is "blessed" by the clown.  :)

Don't even contemplate trying to keep up Mr M... He will destroy you and all you hold dear. :twisted:  Do try the chicken wings. And every other food item you are offered. It's all delicious!  :thumbsup:

When we move out I will try and ask them for more than the deposit because I have added value to the floor being as it is now blessed by the clown and all.

I'll let you know how that goes. Maybe you can quit working for those incompetent overlords and just come here smearing stuff with your oils for money :)

I will probably need to quantify your oil volume and smearing capacity but I am sure that of all the business ideas I have had over the past year it is not actually the worst one :)