AndersB

Town introduces 'female' parking spots

25 posts in this topic

http://canberratimes...0712-21xb1.html

Town introduces 'female' parking spots

July 12, 2012 - 12:51PM

Controversy as city provides 'easier' spots for women to park in.

The German town of Triberg, has introduced women-only parking spots.

The mayor of a German town has sparked controversy by introducing special “easy” parking spots for women.

Mayor Gallus Strobel, from the Black Forest town of Triberg, told Germany’s Spiegel magazine he introduced the spots because men were better at parking than women.

The women’s spaces, which are marked by female symbols, are reportedly better lit and wider, while the men-only spots have concrete pillars to negotiate and can only be reversed into.

Strobel told the magazine that women were welcome to attempt parking in the men-only spots, but that “men are, as a rule, a little better at such challenges”. He denied accusations of sexism, pointing out that there were 10 women-only spots in the carpark compared to only two men-only spots.

He said he hadn’t noticed a big backlash against the scheme, but had been surprised by the level of interest from international media, which he said was good for local tourism.

"Women can come here and prove me wrong, and while they're at it they can see the town's attractions," he told the magazine.

Triberg is not the first place to introduce women’s parking zones. A car park in the Chinese city of Tianjin China recently introduced a women-only parking zone. The area is marked with a pink paint scheme and includes wider spots, brighter lighting and additional guide rails.

Recent research has thrown up different results on the question of which is the fairer sex behind the wheel.

In January, a UK study found that women were better parkers because they were more careful and took more time to park accurately.

But a more recent study by the UK's Department for Transportation's Driving Standards Agency found that females are more likely to fail a driving test than males because they tend to have issues reverse parking.

women-parking-lot.jpg

Sorry, I could not resist adding the picture at the end.

It seems to be a rather silly premise that women would need special parking spots!

thats so funny anders im gonna swipe the whole post and repost on another forum, ill even link to here.

im still laughing

Sorry, I could not resist adding the picture at the end.

It seems to be a rather silly premise that women would need special parking spots!

Is the photo, before or after, the special parking places were implemented?

I liked it.

I apologise for a little moment of sexism. I do like women.

:wub:

<snip>

hilarious :) i thought at first maybe it would be special parking from a late-night safety perspective (i.e., well lit, no pillars for baddies to hide behind, lots of foot traffic)...

i hold no illusions about my own lack of ability when it comes to driving though. watching friends manoeuvre their cars into impossibly small parking spots and garages in japan (lit. with only a cm to spare) has made me all too aware of my own limitations... that's why i like to buy older cars that someone else has already scratched up a bit.

As the only gay in the village I'm pressuring the Brisbane council to introduce gay priority parking. The campaign is named "queers can't park, push that extra inch". Why not priority parking for blacks, Jews, Asians and Russians; won't someone thinking of the refugees?

Do you park in the parents parking? I do. Having kids is a choice, not a disability.

Do you park in the parents parking? I do. Having kids is a choice, not a disability.

I don't, it might be catching :)

This thread conjures up images of 'in the drawing room, sitting in the chesterfield, smoking a cigar and drinking brandy'.... Seriously get in the real world you blokes.

Maybe you should check out the stats on driving?

This thread conjures up images of 'in the drawing room, sitting in the chesterfield, smoking a cigar and drinking brandy'.... Seriously get in the real world you blokes.

Maybe you should check out the stats on driving?

It was Anders...

You'll notice I didn't participate FU, I have far more respect for the abilities of the female driver and don't care for generalisations. I was good. :) (this time)

Good boy!!

Apologies FU. Actually, we are contemplating a honkers holiday in the very near future and would appreciate your advice on yum cha establishments. Lung King Heen has been recommended by the web but there's plenty of advice on the web. I'm more interested in local knowledge.

Apologies FU. Actually, we are contemplating a honkers holiday in the very near future and would appreciate your advice on yum cha establishments. Lung King Heen has been recommended by the web but there's plenty of advice on the web. I'm more interested in local knowledge.

I googled that place and it looks very nice but I am sure it will be very expensive, and very western. I've got a new place I go to which is about $12 for lunch for two which is very authentic and recommended by a Chinese friend ( I was there last week). I don't know the name, just where it is, but I will go and find out for you. Send me a PM on what you want to do and I will give you some feedback. I wouldn't pay too much for dim sum and save your cash for some nice restaurants/bars like Hutong and Aqua/Sevva bars that have great views. Also if you like walking there are some very nice places off the tourist beaten track. Sept/Oct is a very good time to be here if that suits you.

Yes Anders is very naughty boy!

blush.gif

I just thought the idea in the article was ridiculous. My apologies for illustrating it with the silly photo.

Yes Anders is very naughty boy!

He is swedish! what do you expect?

A nice birching and he'd be grinning for days.

He is swedish! what do you expect?

A nice birching and he'd be grinning for days.

Staring, your turn to give Anders a beating. Not too gentle, there's a good chap...

ashtray-cognac-200x300.jpg

If you are up for some unusual street food try the ladies market in Mongkok for waffles with condensed milk and peanut butter.

I googled that place and it looks very nice but I am sure it will be very expensive, and very western. I've got a new place I go to which is about $12 for lunch for two which is very authentic and recommended by a Chinese friend ( I was there last week). I don't know the name, just where it is, but I will go and find out for you. Send me a PM on what you want to do and I will give you some feedback. I wouldn't pay too much for dim sum and save your cash for some nice restaurants/bars like Hutong and Aqua/Sevva bars that have great views. Also if you like walking there are some very nice places off the tourist beaten track. Sept/Oct is a very good time to be here if that suits you.

Many thanks FU for the recommendations. I will PM you closer to the date (which should be around September/October period :))

If the food at Hutong is as slick as their website I'll be very happy indeed.

The red lantern (Sichuan) dishes look very fiery! :)

If you are up for some unusual street food try the ladies market in Mongkok for waffles with condensed milk and peanut butter.

Cheers wim. Elvis food in hong kong. Now I'm excited! :D

Staring, your turn to give Anders a beating. Not too gentle, there's a good chap...

ashtray-cognac-200x300.jpg

I was considering nailing him up to the wall in the quadrangle with the younger boys old bean followed by a sound thrashing. ;)

tomkinsons-schooldays4.jpg

Many thanks FU for the recommendations. I will PM you closer to the date (which should be around September/October period :))

If the food at Hutong is as slick as their website I'll be very happy indeed.

The red lantern (Sichuan) dishes look very fiery! :)

Cheers wim. Elvis food in hong kong. Now I'm excited! :D

Hutong has great views and the 'beggars chicken' was fantastic as was a lamb dish which was a bit like a pork belly (roasted lamb skin instead of crackling). It's not cheap but neither is the other place you mentioned.

Also, I know a private dining place that serves 8 courses (I think) of sichuan food, BYO, and the chef lady sings Chinese opera at the end of the meal.

I could go on and on so let me know your budget and interests prior to Sept.

Hutong has great views and the 'beggars chicken' was fantastic as was a lamb dish which was a bit like a pork belly (roasted lamb skin instead of crackling). It's not cheap but neither is the other place you mentioned.

Also, I know a private dining place that serves 8 courses (I think) of sichuan food, BYO, and the chef lady sings Chinese opera at the end of the meal.

I could go on and on so let me know your budget and interests prior to Sept.

My mum made beggars duck once. I recall the traditional "beggars" is roasted/steamed in clay. TBH my mum's version wasn't great. But I guess it's like Hainan chicken rice. Most places I've ordered it from just don't do it right. I have high hopes for HK cuisine.

Sichuan followed by opera sounds the business. :)

I was seriously thinking of just checking into the four seasons, not leaving and eating my way through the room service menu. Ms clown insists we engage in a cultural exchange. Hang the expense regardless.

I remember one of the early Womans Weekly cookbooks had that recipe - it was probably a bit basic.

Husband went to the dim sum place today with work colleagues. Apparently the owner is the ex head chef of Four Seasons dim sum who has started own restaurants. One on the Kowloon side has a michelin star. They went at 11.45 and had to wait 45 mins, so expect to queue if you don't go before 11 or after 2.30-3.