staringclown

Computer maintenence

25 posts in this topic

My laptop machine is out of warranty after 3 years and I've had a recurring problem (4 times) with the sound over the life of it. There's a long running thread on the apple support forum

So on the advice of a post on the thread to replace the audio cable, I thought I'd have a crack at a home fix. (Apple charge is ~$200 from memory)

I bought the parts (and two tools - a spudger (plastic thing with a point and an edge) and a phillips 00 head screwdriver and the audio cable.

Read the instructions on the web site

And my sound works again. ^_^

Paid $45 for the audio cable, spudger (love that name) and screw driver and these are reusable. Looking for a commune when the balloon goes up. :)

Savings $150.

Well done, I usually have to pay for the cost of the original problem plus all the extra damage that I have caused when I attempt any kind of DIY.

Well done, I usually have to pay for the cost of the original problem plus all the extra damage that I have caused when I attempt any kind of DIY.

Same. Plus add in the cost of a bottle of scotch to console me when I collapse into a funk of depression at not being "A Real Man".

Fixing electronics is the current day version of a 50's guy fixing his car right?

I thought building your own box from components was a rite of passage into the IT industry. :) There's always been a certain level of intercubicle rivalry as to who's built the biggest desktop. I really need to get out of this town.

Fixing electronics is the current day version of a 50's guy fixing his car right?

I found it more like diffusing a WW2 unexploded bomb. Tension, beads of sweat and trying not to cut any wires. Then reassembling the bomb. At one point I was trying to prise the battery terminal from the motherboard only to discover that the cable disconnected from the side with a gentle tug.

I'm only a fake man. And have now resumed my characteristic idle state. :)

Doing any kind of computer building or maintenance went out of fashion in 2007.

Probably earlier and probably says something about the level of young guys coming to take our jobs - oh there aren't any.

Doing any kind of computer building or maintenance went out of fashion in 2007.

Oh contraire Syd! Someones got to keep the machines going. As the idiocracy develops we'll be left with 12 people in the entire world who understand how computers actually work

and we alone shall inherit the earth. My rates per hour alone will exceed the GDP of Greece.

A timely thread. Mrs Medved broke a part of a DVD tray the other day. I fixed it but in the process disconnected a different part of the DVD drive. Given it is under warranty I sent it in for repairs, but the company said the drive is "external" so may not be covered.

Oh contraire Syd! Someones got to keep the machines going.

We use these computers at work which cost $250,000 each. Every time one breaks we ring up the manufacturer and ask for a new one. I don't know anybody who still fixes computers. At the low end it is a waste of time and money. At the high end you can't do it because the entire machine is locked down with custom-made, proprietary, licence-coded hardware.

Edited by sydney3000

Oh contraire Syd! Someones got to keep the machines going. As the idiocracy develops we'll be left with 12 people in the entire world who understand how computers actually work

and we alone shall inherit the earth. My rates per hour alone will exceed the GDP of Greece.

My "understanding" is limited to basics, but I do manage to do virtually all of my own repairs, plus in my spare time I sanitise and rebuild donated cast offs for our local Oldies who just want something to play games on and email the kids.

Maybe I could ask $1.80 an hour?

I thought building your own box from components was a rite of passage into the IT industry. :) There's always been a certain level of intercubicle rivalry as to who's built the biggest desktop. I really need to get out of this town.

I tried building my own desktop once ... had to RMA the motherboard and then take it somebody who knew what he was doing.

You should see how big my new desktop is, it doesn't fit under my desk. Take that!

Same. Plus add in the cost of a bottle of scotch to console me when I collapse into a funk of depression at not being "A Real Man".

Something like that I guess.

My latest effort was my ear-canal earphones (I can't fly without them, they block out most of the noise, have much better sound quality than the rubbish the airlines give you, and remain comfortable for the whole flight).

I think my ear wax (yum) killed my right earphone! I then opened it up to clean it out but in so doing disconnected the 2 tiny wires from the cable that connect to the driver i.e. the speaker wires.

So Turkey gets ambitious and fires up the soldering iron... 2 hours, much swearing and fortunately no third degree burns later, I have the ugliest solder job in history finished.

To my amazement the right earphone works again but only produces about 75% of the volume of the left. So I have to throw them away anyway and buy new ones - I wasted 2 hours in an attempt to save $100.

My "understanding" is limited to basics, but I do manage to do virtually all of my own repairs, plus in my spare time I sanitise and rebuild donated cast offs for our local Oldies who just want something to play games on and email the kids.

Maybe I could ask $1.80 an hour?

Nice work man. I commend you on both recycling and helping the oldies. :)

I designate that this thread should be used for all computer related woes.

I'd pay you at least the minimum wage. But that's just me - a firm but fair clown. :D

A timely thread. Mrs Medved broke a part of a DVD tray the other day. I fixed it but in the process disconnected a different part of the DVD drive. Given it is under warranty I sent it in for repairs, but the company said the drive is "external" so may not be covered.

Warranties depend on the nature of the fault. I recently learned that iPhones have a moisture sensor so that if you drop the phone into the toilet (first hand report) they know and reject claim.

We use these computers at work which cost $250,000 each. Every time one breaks we ring up the manufacturer and ask for a new one. I don't know anybody who still fixes computers. At the low end it is a waste of time and money. At the high end you can't do it because the entire machine is locked down with custom-made, proprietary, licence-coded hardware.

Are you using IBM datapower appliances syd? We had to send one of these suckers to the US on a six week holiday after our IBM admin locked themselves out with more than the maximum password retries.

I can understand peoples reluctance at attempting repairs at home. It's like cars now compared to the 50's. They're complex so people tend to accept the word of mechanics that may or may not be telling you the whole truth as far as the repairs go. The opportunity for gouging is huge.

Not that I want to impugn mechanics in general. Most are likely to be above board but having a bit of knowledge is helpful in avoiding the risk to a degree. (I always ask for the replaced parts so that I can see the problem or reuse them.) I keep getting phonecalls from thieves that claim that they are receiving messages from my computer. I now just offer my banking passwords and they hang up.

I tried building my own desktop once ... had to RMA the motherboard and then take it somebody who knew what he was doing.

You should see how big my new desktop is, it doesn't fit under my desk. Take that!

Mine fits in my coat pocket. :P I always ask that the dude I buy from puts the fan over the chip on the MB. That's a tricky step which can go horribly wrong.

EVS equipment

I'm not familiar with EVS syd. A cursory web search reveals it's digital video equipment? You don't need to answer of course. Just curious.

Something like that I guess.

My latest effort was my ear-canal earphones (I can't fly without them, they block out most of the noise, have much better sound quality than the rubbish the airlines give you, and remain comfortable for the whole flight).

I think my ear wax (yum) killed my right earphone! I then opened it up to clean it out but in so doing disconnected the 2 tiny wires from the cable that connect to the driver i.e. the speaker wires.

So Turkey gets ambitious and fires up the soldering iron... 2 hours, much swearing and fortunately no third degree burns later, I have the ugliest solder job in history finished.

To my amazement the right earphone works again but only produces about 75% of the volume of the left. So I have to throw them away anyway and buy new ones - I wasted 2 hours in an attempt to save $100.

DIY soldering of electronics is heroic though. You will be the first to be awarded honorary MacGyver status. The last time I soldered I was I building a crystal set using nothing but a germanium diode and some copper wire in Yr 9. It didn't ever actually work at all.

I'm not familiar with EVS syd. A cursory web search reveals it's digital video equipment?

High-end broadcasting capabilities of various kinds...it's really strange to describe what the essence of it is. I think most content would be unwatchable unless they spruced it up with playback, super slow motion, extreme super slow motion, 20 camera angles, locker room insight, etc. They throw everything at it to keep the people staring at the screen.

High-end broadcasting capabilities of various kinds...it's really strange to describe what the essence of it is. I think most content would be unwatchable unless they spruced it up with playback, super slow motion, extreme super slow motion, 20 camera angles, locker room insight, etc. They throw everything at it to keep the people staring at the screen.

This sounds suspiciously like the same software that became self aware, decided it voted conservative, and took over news corp?

It certainly has its place in sport. Have you tried watching e.g. old cricket footage when there is only a camera at one end?

Half the time you are viewing from behind the batsman - makes that LBW decision a bit difficult to follow!

Edited by Turkey

It certainly has its place in sport. Have you tried watching e.g. old cricket footage when there is only a camera at one end?

Half the time you are viewing from behind the batsman - makes that LBW decision a bit difficult to follow!

If we had pad cam or even box cam we the viewers could tweet a batsman's outness through a democratic process.This may increase the home ground advantage. Signalling to the emperor a thumbs up or down. Or we could let the ref decide.

If we had pad cam or even box cam we the viewers could tweet a batsman's outness through a democratic process.This may increase the home ground advantage. Signalling to the emperor a thumbs up or down. Or we could let the ref decide.

I would prefer that the batsman gets shot by the umpire if he is out.

But I meant that it kind of sucks that you can't even see what the ball was doing and the batsman is given out lbw, not that we should all decide by committee. I think hawkeye etc are a great invention and going back to 1970s technology would suck.

Even when you are at the game it's good. E.g. a pretty girl walks past, you get distracted and something important happens. Rules to have big screen slo-mo replays.

E.g. 2. I start nodding off at the game and drooling on myself because of too much alcohol. Something important happens and consciousness briefly flickers. Rules to have big screen slo-mo replays!

I would prefer that the batsman gets shot by the umpire if he is out.

But I meant that it kind of sucks that you can't even see what the ball was doing and the batsman is given out lbw, not that we should all decide by committee. I think hawkeye etc are a great invention and going back to 1970s technology would suck.

Even when you are at the game it's good. E.g. a pretty girl walks past, you get distracted and something important happens. Rules to have big screen slo-mo replays.

E.g. 2. I start nodding off at the game and drooling on myself because of too much alcohol. Something important happens and consciousness briefly flickers. Rules to have big screen slo-mo replays!

Bullet cam would be interesting. :) The replays would resemble the Zapruder footage.

As someone who is also easily distracted by sleep during a test match I agree slo-mos are a good idea.