cobran20

Bob Brown resigns as leader of the Australian Greens

33 posts in this topic

This is reminding me of the Australian Democrats. They were very successful when under their founder, Don 'Keep the bastards honest' Chip. After he resigned, they dwindled into insignificance. So it will be interesting to see how the Greens perform over the next two federal elections, especially when all signs currently point to a federal landslide to the right end of the political spectrum. Australia has traditionally been a two political party country. It would not surprise me if a lot of green voters eventually move back to Labor.

link

The Greens are dead in the water. People only care about the environment when they feel rich. Nobody is feeling rich. The Greens are a baby boomer relic. The Pirate Party is one of the new post-baby boomer endeavours and is overtaking established players one seat at a time in other countries.

Edited by sydney3000

Niche protest parties lose their leaders when the party gains enough power that they can actually achieve change. Because they realise they have to start compromising their principles and the leaders won't do that.

This is reminding me of the Australian Democrats. They were very successful when under their founder, Don 'Keep the bastards honest' Chip. After he resigned, they dwindled into insignificance. So it will be interesting to see how the Greens perform over the next two federal elections, especially when all signs currently point to a federal landslide to the right end of the political spectrum. Australia has traditionally been a two political party country. It would not surprise me if a lot of green voters eventually move back to Labor.

link

I've been centre right for 30 years of voter eligibility and I won't be voting for that f*ckwit Abbott.

Might be cool if I mark off my name on the roll then swig Laphroaig from a silver hip flask, light a Cohiba and set light to my ballot papers with the cigar, stomp on them and walk out...

If anyone didn't know, ol' Bobby was MBBS from Syd and a surgeon and GP who practised in NSW, ACT, NT, London and Tasmania before taking the green cudgel...Dr Bobby.

the strongest vote the democrats got was when the GST was voted for, without the " crats" the gst wouldn't not have passed, they sold out, and caved on no GST on food, as if that was a compromise! the next election saw them dead.

I've been centre right for 30 years of voter eligibility and I won't be voting for that f*ckwit Abbott.

That's ok, you've got Bob Katter's Australia up there in sunny Queensland!

You won't be the only one. IMO, he is the biggest liability the Libs have. Not many people would want a theocracy in this country.

Tony Abbott is the biggest liability the Libs have.

I disagree. The world has created this monster of a system ruled by only one thing, money. It no longer matters who is in government and it clearly shows. Whatever is coming our way will overwhelm any person's powers.

You won't be the only one. IMO, he is the biggest liability the Libs have. Not many people would want a theocracy in this country.

once the election is announced his best campaign strategy would be to take a holiday.

once the election is announced his best campaign strategy would be to take a holiday.

You are right. Labor has and will destroy itself. All Kevin Rudd needed to do was to give the lowest quintile money and he would have reigned for 18 years.They misread the social situation then and they are misreading the social situation now.

Edited by sydney3000

You are right. Labor has and will destroy itself. All Kevin Rudd needed to do was to give the lowest quintile money and he would have reigned for 18 years.They misread the social situation then and they are misreading the social situation now.

+1

I can’t believe that Federal Labor think that they have a chance in hell when they are running with Gillard and introducing a Carbon Tax. They’re only chance is to axe Gillard right now and bring back Rudd who then announces to the electorate that Carbon tax is gone and those that thought it was a good idea won’t be running as a Labor candidate next election. Then he just has to make a huge song and dance about returning to representing the best interests of the working class.

I’m still astounded that they’ve learned nothing from the Queensland state election results.

Meh, I intend to cast a spoiled ballot anyway. I might vote for the Senate as there’s a chance of getting in a senator representing my special interests music.gif

if krudd had kept up his early morning appearances on sunrise (or whatever it was) he would have been prime mister for ever.

+1

I can’t believe that Federal Labor think that they have a chance in hell when they are running with Gillard and introducing a Carbon Tax. They’re only chance is to axe Gillard right now and bring back Rudd who then announces to the electorate that Carbon tax is gone and those that thought it was a good idea won’t be running as a Labor candidate next election. Then he just has to make a huge song and dance about returning to representing the best interests of the working class.

I’m still astounded that they’ve learned nothing from the Queensland state election results.

Meh, I intend to cast a spoiled ballot anyway. I might vote for the Senate as there’s a chance of getting in a senator representing my special interests music.gif

i like Bernie's idea; set fire to the polling booth. ok it wasn't quite his idea. i like the idea of voter protest. light a cigar and set fire to the ballet papers, turn up in costume, take a dump in the voting area. something is better than nothing. i liked the drag show that turned up in my polling booth. mmm have to think...

It's too late for Kevin Rudd. He had his three years. If Gillard was replaced the new leader would have to do a lot more than dump the carbon tax such as:

- dump MLS

- dump private healthcare rebate

- raise Medicare levy and include basic dental

- dump HECS

- give free tertiary education to top 5% of graduates from Australian secondary institutions with Australian permanent residence

- tax foreign ownership of Australian land and outlaw new purchases of it

- dump private secondary school funding

- forcefully appropriate all airport car parks, train lines and private roads

- forcefully appropriate all unutilised land within five years of private ownership

- dump stamp duty

- raise land value tax

- dump luxury car tax

- dump FHOG

- dump FHSA

- dump family tax benefit

- dump baby bonus

- dump paid parental leave

- dump all government perks (after leaving service)

- limit maximum public service salary to 3x average Australian salary

- put the entire public service on the retirement schemes open to the public

- dump superannuation

- cement aged pension as minimum life support scheme for the stupid, gamblers and unlucky

- raise income tax free threshold to $36,000 and link it to inflation

- dump low income tax offset

- raise minimum wage

- raise the Newstart allowance

- introduce an import tax

- balance immigration with emigration

- outlaw interest only debt schemes

- limit debt to LVR of 80%

- set capital gains tax to the highest income tax bracket

- dump capital gains tax halving

- mandate electronic trading ask/offer length of a minimum of 100 milliseconds

- set company tax to the highest income tax bracket

- set taxes within trusts to the highest income tax bracket

- implement a 20% estate tax

Edited by sydney3000

wouldnt it be easier to just vote for abbot?

It's not only easier to vote for him but more likely for the future prime minister to be him.

It's too late for Kevin Rudd. He had his three years. If Gillard was replaced the new leader would have to do a lot more than dump the carbon tax such as:

- dump MLS

- dump HECS

- give free tertiary education to top 5% of graduates from Australian secondary institutions with Australian permanent residence

- tax foreign ownership of Australian land and outlaw new purchases of it

- forcefully appropriate all unutilised land within five years of private ownership

- dump stamp duty

- raise land value tax

- dump luxury car tax

- dump FHOG

- dump FHSA

- dump family tax benefit

- dump baby bonus

- dump paid parental leave

- dump all government perks (after leaving service)

- put the entire public service on the retirement schemes open to the public

- dump superannuation

- cement aged pension as minimum life support scheme for the stupid, gamblers and unlucky

- raise minimum wage

- balance immigration with emigration

- outlaw interest only debt schemes

- limit debt to LVR of 80%

- dump capital gains tax halving

- mandate electronic trading ask/offer length of a minimum of 100 milliseconds

- set taxes within trusts to the highest income tax bracket

You’ve got my vote.

I forgot the most important one:

- dump payroll tax

The dumbest tax of them all. Seriously, only a government bureaucrat with zero real world experience would think that this is a good idea thumbdown.gif

Who would think it’s a good idea to tax providing jobs?

I attended the County Court of Victoria recently where a guy was charged with not voting at the last federal election. His fine was quashed based on the evidence he provided and the following statute:

http://www.austlii.e...18233/s245.html

(14) Without limiting the circumstances that may constitute a valid and sufficient reason for not voting, the fact that an elector believes it to be part of his or her religious duty to abstain from voting constitutes a valid and sufficient reason for the failure of the elector to vote.

FYI the guy was a Christian.

Compulsary voting is a lie perpetuated by the ignorant.

- dump HECS

- dump superannuation

- raise minimum wage

heads.jpg

(Checks passport validity again!)

- dump MLS - moving more from the private system to the public<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump private healthcare rebate - moving more from the private system to the public <br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- raise Medicare levy and include basic dental - <br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump HECS - and allow a return to rich kids studying arts degrees with a major on chinese spoon polishing?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- give free tertiary education to top 5% of graduates from Australian secondary institutions with Australian permanent residence - i thought the manifesto included free education?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- tax foreign ownership of Australian land and outlaw new purchases of it <br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump private secondary school funding - and send all those kids to the stretched public system?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- forcefully appropriate all airport car parks, train lines and private roads <br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- forcefully appropriate all unutilised land within five years of private ownership<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump stamp duty - and how will the states eat?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- raise land value tax - so that no one can afford land?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump luxury car tax - BMWs for all<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump FHOG<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump FHSA<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump family tax benefit<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump baby bonus<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump paid parental leave<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump all government perks (after leaving service) <br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- limit maximum public service salary to 3x average Australian salary - people who work for the government should not be provided adequate compensation. we should only employee the dumbest.<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- put the entire public service on the retirement schemes open to the public<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump superannuation<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- cement aged pension as minimum life support scheme for the stupid, gamblers and unlucky - aren't we already there?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- raise income tax free threshold to $36,000 and link it to inflation - why?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump low income tax offset - done<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- raise minimum wage - champagne for everyone!<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- raise the Newstart allowance - it's too low, but how high should it go?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- introduce an import tax - why stop there?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- balance immigration with emigration<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- outlaw interest only debt schemes<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- limit debt to LVR of 80%<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- set capital gains tax to the highest income tax bracket<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- dump capital gains tax halving - what? and return to the more generous system of the past?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- mandate electronic trading ask/offer length of a minimum of 100 milliseconds<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- set company tax to the highest income tax bracket<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- set taxes within trusts to the highest income tax bracket - do you know how trusts actually work?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; ">- implement a 20% estate tax - yay! another tax the rich avoid!

I attended the County Court of Victoria recently where a guy was charged with not voting at the last federal election. His fine was quashed based on the evidence he provided and the following statute:

FYI the guy was a Christian.

Compulsary voting is a lie perpetuated by the ignorant.

How was it against his Christian religious views to vote?