Ruffian

I need a new kitchen knife

8 posts in this topic

I have a great kitchen knife.

It's an all purpose knife, I use it all day every day, and I practically worship it.

It makes a really cool 'ssshing' noise, just like the swords do in cheesy TV battle scenes.

It's all metal; the handle is smooth metal - no wood, no plastic, no tang - and no problems.

It also has no markings on it, and I have no idea who made it.

I got it overseas about ten years ago - there is virtually no chance of figuring out who made it and getting another one like it.

So in the interests of planning ahead a little, I thought I'd start shopping for a new knife, just in case. A good one.

I'd prefer something about 28 cm long, of which about 16 should be blade - a fairly narrow blade for preference, but I'm not obsessive about the details. It just has to be a good (and robust) knife.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a great kitchen knife.

It's an all purpose knife, I use it all day every day, and I practically worship it.

It makes a really cool 'ssshing' noise, just like the swords do in cheesy TV battle scenes.

It's all metal; the handle is smooth metal - no wood, no plastic, no tang - and no problems.

It also has no markings on it, and I have no idea who made it.

I got it overseas about ten years ago - there is virtually no chance of figuring out who made it and getting another one like it.

So in the interests of planning ahead a little, I thought I'd start shopping for a new knife, just in case. A good one.

I'd prefer something about 28 cm long, of which about 16 should be blade - a fairly narrow blade for preference, but I'm not obsessive about the details. It just has to be a good (and robust) knife.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My own recommendation is keeping your current knife. I could talk about ceramic never bluntening blades and a bit a trident wusthof magic. I bought a good friend a damascus blade recently. You can see the grain. But my heart is still with tors custom made middling iron blades that are soft enough they can take a sharpening and a ritual.

Hardened steel is way cool front up.Becomes problematic when you've nothing to sharpen it with.

Have you tried an image match search? take a photo of the knife and then see if you can find a similar image. I am guessing it will fail miserably but for a few minutes effort it could be great.

Since getting the three japanese knives I only use the other ones because I feel they are getting sad and lonely. Took a while to get into the habit of cleaning them properly after use (they get surface rust overnight if damp) and I still don't think I sharpen them properly and I know my cutting technique is off but they are excellent blades.

Having them cut with the one side only is just so amazingly great, when I use my old globals (which I used to think were sharp) or any of my euro knives I feel like I am clubbing the food into submission.

Freely admit the really thick one (which is more a general knife) is way too heavy for someone that was cooking professionally. But I don't spend 8 hrs a night cutting so it is of neglible concern for me.

This one is pretty cool

Gerber-LMF-II-Coyote-Brown.jpg

And if you get into an accident whilst in the kitchen there’s a tool for cutting your seat belt / safety harness thumbsup.gif

According to an online review a bonus feature is the ability to use the but of the knife to bash through a wall to shoot at your neighbour / Iraqi insurgent

According to an online review a bonus feature is the ability to use the but of the knife to bash through a wall to shoot at your neighbour / Iraqi insurgent

Definite bonus feature! Can be used to subdue my critics! Must get one... :)

...whilst in the kitchen there’s a tool for cutting your seat belt / safety harness...

you're doing it wrong :)

Have you tried an image match search? take a photo of the knife and then see if you can find a similar image. I am guessing it will fail miserably but for a few minutes effort it could be great.

Since getting the three japanese knives I only use the other ones because I feel they are getting sad and lonely. Took a while to get into the habit of cleaning them properly after use (they get surface rust overnight if damp) and I still don't think I sharpen them properly and I know my cutting technique is off but they are excellent blades.

Having them cut with the one side only is just so amazingly great, when I use my old globals (which I used to think were sharp) or any of my euro knives I feel like I am clubbing the food into submission.

Freely admit the really thick one (which is more a general knife) is way too heavy for someone that was cooking professionally. But I don't spend 8 hrs a night cutting so it is of neglible concern for me.

I'll try the image match idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Re the Japanese knives, however great they are, and however fashionable they may get, they are a total non-starter for me due to the care and tending they require.

Even if I did manage to look after them properly myself, there are enough kids and random others roaming through the kitchen that I know that ultimately damage and despair would result.

I need a work horse, not a thoroughbred. :)

Globals I am not so keen on - the relative positioning of the handle and the blade seems off to me, even if everything else fits the bill fairly closely.

Well, in a technical sense the image match search didn't work, but in a practical one it has. :)

It didn't turn up anything like my knife, but while fooling around with it I stumbled across the Mundial 'Future' utility knife, which is about the right size and weight for my hand, and which costs - thank you, interwebs - a grand total of $35.

So I sent off for one and it turned up today. It's great, not so much for it's own qualities, which are OK but not much more - but because it will enable me to treat it like crap with total equanimity, thereby saving a lot of wear and tear on my good knife.

Not exactly a solution, but a reasonable work-around for now. I'm happy.