tor

f*ck this country

89 posts in this topic

So I have been supportive of me paying lots of tax for the breeders and the racists and incompetents of this country for a long time, this has been one of my main arguments against property taxes; it would mean I would pay less tax.

However after a separation with my girlfriend of 12 years I have discovered that if she doesn't work and I do work 12 - 16 hrs a day the courts regard our financial input as equal.

I have also discovered that if you pay your tax a year late and have lots of income they charge you 75K fines in lateness. Even if you paid 100K in provisional tax during that period.

I was okay with paying 200K a year in taxes. I was okay with not being able to claim any of my free work for charities against my tax. I was okay with writing off all my invoices for start ups that failed.

I figured that I should contribute to the country I am living in.

Now I figure f*ck it, I am going to move everything to a low company tax place where I don't have 12 years of work taken from me for trivial reasons.

Yes I should have done my end of year taxes a year ago but with the relationship break up slowly going through the thought of doing that was a painful thing and at the time I pretty much avoided anything painful but I paid my provisional taxes and gst and all that crap.

So anyone know how I can transfer everything out of this country and into another because you guys can just have your breeding payments for white kiddies and all of your happy whingey lives of how "things could be better if they would only make me better off" and I just am not going to pay for it any more if you are going to f*ck me over this badly.

I am happy to pay cash or gold because f*ck it this sh*t is going to bankrupt me anyway and if I can burn the house down and declare bankruptcy then start my life anew somewhere else it can't be any worse for me than staying here.

(I have been drinking quite a bit since speaking to the family law person and the accountant today but at the moment f*ck the lot of you, my company is leaving and you can all pay more taxes as a result)

(I have been drinking quite a bit

That was my first thought. :)

Singapore is apparently a good place tax-wise to set up a company if you actually don't do business in Singapore. They also have tax treaties etc. so won't be hounded like other tax havens in the Pacific, Lichtenstein, British Isles, Cayman Islands, etc. It's also close and provides strategic access to Asian markets if you were looking to expand. The government has a better balance sheet too.

It would probably cost a lot in legal advice and accounting advice to get set up in such a fashion but may be viable given the amount of business you currently have on the books.... however having an ex may complicate things.

This approach aligns with the 3 (or 5) flags concept of having your residence in one jurisidction, your citizenship in a second, and your financial assets in a third. And always consider the use of trusts to hold/segregate assets....

I've been told TPG (telco) is essentially a shelf company so it may be doable.

Disclaimer: IANAL.

So I have been supportive of me paying lots of tax for the breeders and the racists and incompetents of this country for a long time, this has been one of my main arguments against property taxes; it would mean I would pay less tax.

However after a separation with my girlfriend of 12 years I have discovered that if she doesn't work and I do work 12 - 16 hrs a day the courts regard our financial input as equal.

I only fit the breeder and occasional incompetence categories, but I'll put a pillowcase on my head and try and claim my racist support allowance so thanks Tor, when you come to Melbourne and I'll buy you a drink.

It's interesting with the partner financial contributions assessment, but there's probably nothing you can do. I believe that some farmers and fishermenpeople have had a similar problem when their relationships end. They often have a huge asset and may have to 'buy' half of it back, which is a shock when they percieve it as seperate from the relationship and that will stay in their family for generations. I'm sure there were reasonable grounds for family law to look at it this way, but I think they were established when the non working partner was a stay at home parent and would get stuck with kids and no support.

I can't give tax (or other) advice, but I thought if you had income that you were channeling through a tax haven then you got credit for the tax paid there, but still were assessed at your marginal rate here.

like all aussy public sevices ATO has 3 levels of appeal, 1 basically the guy who made the decisions, 2 that guys boss, and 3 an independent review panel.

dont get distressed till you fail thre 3rd review., and dont give up, try to present the facts so as the elicit compassion and understanding, not aggression.

i had a dead mother not pay taxes, and sister ad I as powers of attourney faced with penalties for not doing taxes on time, but upon 1st review where forgiven the penalty,

aus will be a poorer place losing you tor, but then tough sh*t maybe this place could have treated you better, try usa cars and houses are super cheap over there.

i hear hong kong is great for business taxes also.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, tor. It really sucks. The country would be poorer for losing you and I hope you will find a good solution here (after you sober up) :c)

Nevertheless, there are two issues at play in your situation.

One is that men get a raw deal when relationships break up. Be glad you don't have kids right now, since she could then be able to claim 100% of all your assets. The thinking by the family courts, apparently, is that you will have earning power in the future, but she doesn't - so therefore she is entitled to all of your assets and end up having the kids. You would still have to pay maintenance while she can be in an unofficial other de facto relationship. This is second hand information from my kid that is studying law at uni at the moment.

The other issue is the tax treatment. Establishing a business in a tax haven is a bad idea. And there is not much you can do about it without moving your residence overseas. You need to stay outside of the country for more than 6 months of the year to be able to claim non-residency in Australia, and hence not pay income tax here.

One interesting opportunity would be to become an economic retiree of the Philippines: http://www.pra.gov.p...in/srrv_program

According to Philippine law, as such a retiree resident you are not allowed to work in the Philippines - but it would not stop you from keeping your Australian clients and do business trips to Australia when you need to meet them face-to-face.

I am not sure what the income tax situation would be like then - but it may be that you don't have to pay any income tax for foreign earned income in the Philippines. They seem just happy that you spend overseas generated income in the local economy. I also think that overseas assets are not subject to capital gains tax in the Philippines. Likewise, if you are a non-resident in Australia you don't pay capital gains tax in Australia either.

I think Malaysia has a similar economic retiree visa system but it requires a bigger investment than the US$20,000 that the Philippines visa cost.

The Philippines is a terrible place to live lifestyle wise, though. However, the cost of living is 1/4 of what it is here. Fruit and vegetables are very cheap and hired help cost very little. But the key here for you is to become a non-resident of Australia first. That does not mean that you have to live 6+ months in just the one other place. You could just spend a month in the Philippines and just have your business established there, and the rest of the time you live in New Zealand or wherever you want.

Another option would be to go the the US, but that would not help much with the tax situation unless you set up a business in Delaware or something. The USA has a free trade agreement with Australia and there is a special visa category for Australian citizens, called the E-3 visa:

http://canberra.usem...gov/e3visa.html

Anyway, these are just ideas. Perhaps the above options are worth investigating further for you.

All the best, tor. I hope everything works out for you.

Edited by AndersB

Well still drunk, in fact probably drunker :)

Have decided now that maybe this is a kick in the pants to push me to my next level. I appreciate the suggestions made and will certainly use them in the forthcoming meetings. Except the one about how the ATO is a first level bully machine then something else, that one was interesting for a moment then made me think why would I want to live under that kind of regime. Not that the suggestion was bad, just that if it were true it makes me sad.

I have set up meetings with all 3 lawyers for next week and am walking around the house feeling a bit sentimental[1] knowing there is a good chance this part of my life is over but still aware it will take ages to lay out which, to be honest, feels a bit stupid.

I will miss the trees and the animal life if the lawyers point out a sensible way to remove myself from this silliness is to go live in some other city.

Hopefully this process will take more than 6 months as a bunch of people were coming to see me here and I think the party would suck in an apartment in singapore :)

If I do go could you guys possibly get your sh*t together enough to at least least fags get married? You're not america, you never were.

[1] admittedly wandering around with a half empty bottle of scotch being pre-emptively nostalgic is great for movies but maybe not so good for unscripted dialogue.

Sorry to hear about your situation Tor.

apart from my condolences i don't have a great deal to add to what others have said.

if she has any credit cards on your account, cancel them immediately. DO NOT allow her to rack up debts in your name. consult your lawyer before doing this - transfer cash in any joint accounts to your account only. while she will ultimately have a claim on this money, it will starve her of cash and the ability to pay lawyers, and force her to settle for less. I'm very unsure about the legalities of doing this so consult your lawyer, act quickly, because if you can do it you can be assured that her lawyer will be advising her to do the same.

the settlement is a negotiation and you probably have the upper hand. you have the ability to pay lawyers, she probably doesn't. you may get out of it with better than half. unfortunately most countries have similar laws around separation. try not to go to court though.

lastly thank you for your support of gay marriage. although i don't see why any gay person would want to get married i think they should have the same rights to make mistakes as hets.

most importantly; keep your alcohol intake up - this not a time you should be sober.

Sorry to hear it tor.

I know from previously working at child support that if you have money hidden away in a bank account that your ex doesn't know about we weren't allowed to do any "fishing expeditions" (as the debt collector) on behalf of the ex looking for it. If the ex wasn't able to supply the exact institution we were powerless to act. I last worked for them in 2000 and I know the laws were changed by Howard supposedly to provide more equality for men.

Anders is right about the maintenance if you had kids. A contractor I work with has to pay $1200 per month apart from the child support because his spouse didn't work and it was deemed that she would find it difficult to find employment after being unemployed for so long. It only stops when she earns more than 40K PA. She studiously avoids going over this level.

On the tax penalties it seems to depend on whether you have been warned in the past for late payment. FTL penalties

You can apply for remittance of the penalties. For 75K it is probably worth while

+1 on the gay marriage.

if she has any credit cards on your account, cancel them immediately.

done

the settlement is a negotiation and you probably have the upper hand. you have the ability to pay lawyers, she probably doesn't. you may get out of it with better than half. unfortunately most countries have similar laws around separation. try not to go to court though.

done - I am screwed though due to not planning cash flow for this situation. (and please do not consider this a rejection of your thoughts, in the same way as ruffian told me stuff about the kitchen I appreciate anyone thinking for a moment about my situation and am loving the double check)

lastly thank you for your support of gay marriage. although i don't see why any gay person would want to get married i think they should have the same rights to make mistakes as hets.

All you gay dudes and lesbo chicks deserve the right to do something I choose not to do. In fact I think the rejection of marriage and the scorn we all pour upon it should be equal. Why can't a gay guy make as much fun of marriage as I can? Because the pope says so.

Last time I checked the pope wasn't that funny. f*ck him and his rules about jokes.

I am sick of straight guy jokes about why not to get married, they've been done. I want to hear the gay guy jokes why you shouldn't get married. I want to hear the lesbo jokes about separation.

Realistically that is why I came to this country. I suspect most kiwis did for similar reasons. We hate the fact you earn more here but we love the freedom that this country represents.

Every day you turn boats back despite statistics you become less than you are.

Every day you tell fags they can't get married you become less than you are.

Australia is a beloved idea for most of the world.

It has hurt me a lot to see what it is in reality.

All of this non inclusive rabid sh*t is garbage.

most importantly; keep your alcohol intake up - this not a time you should be sober.

Have done, will do :)

On the tax penalties it seems to depend on whether you have been warned in the past for late payment. FTL penalties

You can apply for remittance of the penalties. For 75K it is probably worth while

The accountant mentioned such things but at the moment I am f*cking angry :)

Yeah nose how do you like that eh?

+1 on the gay marriage.

and there was zaph thinking we didn't support him :)

Sometimes I think we all look at a thing as just so boringly self evident that we don't say anything. To the point, for me, that zaph talking about tight pants real estate agents[1] was as much a faux par (for these forums) as certain of the more hetero thread digressions.

[1] Yes I remember.

done

smart man

done - I am screwed though due to not planning cash flow for this situation. (and please do not consider this a rejection of your thoughts, in the same way as ruffian told me stuff about the kitchen I appreciate anyone thinking for a moment about my situation and am loving the double check)

you can easily drag out agreement on settlement for a year. then actual settlement another year. this may allow you time.

I am sick of straight guy jokes about why not to get married, they've been done. I want to hear the gay guy jokes why you shouldn't get married.

what does a lesbian bring to the first date?

her furniture.

The thought of leaving creeps into my mind more and more often these days. I am now in the state where the only reason I am still here is the income. That doesn't mean one should rush things. The system is set up to challenge your ambitions. None of us earn what you do but we undergo the same pressure on a different but equivalent experience level. I never have any tax deductions and it pains me to see the money go but on the other hand I realise I am better off than 99% of the world population. The traps of the system are part of doing business within the system. You live by the sword and die by the sword.

The thought of leaving creeps into my mind more and more often these days. I am now in the state where the only reason I am still here is the income. That doesn't mean one should rush things. The system is set up to challenge your ambitions. None of us earn what you do but we undergo the same pressure on a different but equivalent experience level. I never have any tax deductions and it pains me to see the money go but on the other hand I realise I am better off than 99% of the world population. The traps of the system are part of doing business within the system. You live by the sword and die by the sword.

Where to go though?

An IT startup on Norfolk Is? Not only do we not pay income tax but we could cop a bail out and get back some of tors dough.

Where to go though?

There is no reason to rush. The destination if required will reveal itself and become obvious. At this stage Australia is still the high street of the monopoly game. Nationhood is lost on people after decades of globalisation. When the second phase of the GFC rolls around we will see the greatest human migration the world has ever experienced. People will leave behind their indebted worthless possessions and seek a restart anywhere but here (here being each individual's current location).

If you are here purely for the money then you would be earning more. I am here for the money and I am occasionally upset at the time I waste not earning money.

If you want to claim hard corporate whore status then you have to be a corporate whore.

Edited by tor

There is no reason to rush...

At this stage Australia is still the high street of the monopoly game...

Insanely true in my opinion.

The only reason I reluctant to leave is because of what australia could become.

(plus also dba, slow to react blah blah blah)

Insanely true in my opinion.

The only reason I reluctant to leave is because of what australia could become.

(plus also dba, slow to react blah blah blah)

You're not really considering leaving though are you? No doubt it could be done. Your talents are transportable.

All of the business contacts and good will you have built up would evaporate. You are just getting your place how you want it. You won't get possums in singapore. Monkeys maybe.

If you are here purely for the money then you would be earning more. I am here for the money and I am occasionally upset at the time I waste not earning money.

If you want to claim hard corporate whore status then you have to be a corporate whore.

I didn't mean it like that. I am a principled whore and hence I suffer from an earnings and career hit.

Edited by sydney3000

You're not really considering leaving though are you? No doubt it could be done. Your talents are transportable.

All of the business contacts and good will you have built up would evaporate. You are just getting your place how you want it. You won't get possums in singapore. Monkeys maybe.

I work remotely. Most of my good clients would come for the ride. Most of them have SE asia divisions. This should be easy.

and I could learn to love an old monkey.

In my head I am already gone. ATO is going to have a fine time convincing me to stay.

I didn't mean it like that. I am a principled whore and hence I suffer from a earnings and career hit.

principles?

They are for your personal life :)

principles?

They are for your personal life :)

I don't draw a distinction between work and personal life. It's one and the same.

I don't draw a distinction between work and personal life. It's one and the same.

I would say that makes for a less effective whore.

I work remotely. Most of my good clients would come for the ride. Most of them have SE asia divisions. This should be easy.

and I could learn to love an old monkey.

In my head I am already gone. ATO is going to have a fine time convincing me to stay.

But you've only just learned the language... :)

I take it you will still talk with us here? That would be truly sad otherwise.

But you've only just learned the language... :)

I take it you will still talk with us here? That would be truly sad otherwise.

+1