Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Make your Cheese

44 posts in this topic

Wensleydale? That sounds like foreign muck to me. Here's what you need:

Updates (although I don't have a pic of it: Our brie has bloomed beautifully, has a lovely white furry mould growing all round it! Shall take one over the weekend.

Updates (although I don't have a pic of it: Our brie has bloomed beautifully, has a lovely white furry mould growing all round it! Shall take one over the weekend.

Hope to hear back from you after the weekend. :shocking:

How can you tell good mould from bad?

Hope to hear back from you after the weekend. :shocking:

How can you tell good mould from bad?

Well, you know when you get a brie or camembert, they have white stuff on the outside? That's the mould. And that's the culture that was added in the milk-heating stage. There are some other moulds, like b. linens, which is the orange mould you get on some rind washed cheeses, that you want to control. Basically, it's a case of ensuring that the mould you want in the cheese is the dominant organism, it'll just take over others in most cases.

IN the case of our cheddar, it's still blessedly free of foreign growths- we can see through the wax.

The blue is going great guns, covered in blue mould (well not entirely, but to a pleasing extent). It's getting poked with holes this weekend too, so the blue mould grows throughout the cheese.

Well, you know when you get a brie or camembert, they have white stuff on the outside? That's the mould. And that's the culture that was added in the milk-heating stage. There are some other moulds, like b. linens, which is the orange mould you get on some rind washed cheeses, that you want to control. Basically, it's a case of ensuring that the mould you want in the cheese is the dominant organism, it'll just take over others in most cases.

IN the case of our cheddar, it's still blessedly free of foreign growths- we can see through the wax.

The blue is going great guns, covered in blue mould (well not entirely, but to a pleasing extent). It's getting poked with holes this weekend too, so the blue mould grows throughout the cheese.

When living overseas I used to make sourdough bread twice a week, just using the yeast in the air and the nicely handled flour.

Came back to Australia and be buggered if I could get a good sour dough happening. The starter kept getting overtaken by an acetone producing mould or bacteria. I have since read that I should have played more with the feeding frequency, etc but the starter overseas was bullet proof.

It's a war out there.

Edited by Ugg

Is the purpose of the wax (and the resultant heat) to sterilise the surface of the cheddar? As opposed to the cheeses that are left in the open to moulder.

When living overseas I used to make sourdough bread twice a week, just using the yeast in the air and the nicely handled flour.

I friend in melbourne leaves flour and water in the open for 1-2 days and then just puts it in the fridge and feeds it with flour daily. The mixture turns black in the fridge. If you stir it and it returns to white in colour it's good and if it stays black chuck it out. I'll ask him for more precise directions as his bread is excellent.

I friend in melbourne leaves flour and water in the open for 1-2 days and then just puts it in the fridge and feeds it with flour daily. The mixture turns black in the fridge. If you stir it and it returns to white in colour it's good and if it stays black chuck it out. I'll ask him for more precise directions as his bread is excellent.

That's the beauty of regional food.

I've made sourdough starter just about everywhere I have lived, and it is always a bit different, as the wild yeasts are a bit different.

Some have great staying power, live and reproduce well, and others taste foul from the get-go.

Melbourne was a good place for it, I kept that starter out on top of the fridge in a loosely sealed glass jar and as long as you fed it, it was bomb-proof.

Sadly in Adelaide the starter is not as good. It might be the wild yeasts - the air is dry here and I think they would be quite different from those that loll around in humid air.

I imagine that the same held true for cheese, back in the day when cheeses were dependent on local wild moulds.

Is the purpose of the wax (and the resultant heat) to sterilise the surface of the cheddar? As opposed to the cheeses that are left in the open to moulder.

I think youre right about the sterilisation, i think it might also be to keep in moisture, as its a longer maturation process.

Thanks. Funny though, my problems occurred in Melbourne. I tried both suburbia and the hills. Same problem both times. It could have been a common flour in both cases or I carried the feral cells with me between the two places.

I should give Perth a go. I suspect that all that floats in Perth's air is asbestos.

I guess we should move bread thoughts to the other thread.

Well here we go, new pictures. Blue was spiked last night, and should have tons of tasty veins by the time it's done.

20120423192908.jpg

20120423192917.jpg

And here's the brie. Note the furry white mould. It's now been wrapped, which I understand retards the fur, leaving us with a nice white coating in about three weeks.

20120423192944.jpg

Well here we go, new pictures. Blue was spiked last night, and should have tons of tasty veins by the time it's done.

20120423192908.jpg

20120423192917.jpg

And here's the brie. Note the furry white mould. It's now been wrapped, which I understand retards the fur, leaving us with a nice white coating in about three weeks.

20120423192944.jpg

Looks good enough to eat! You'll need some recipes soon. Quattro formaggi pasta. :drool:

Quattro formaggi pasta.

Quattro? Quattro?

Are we fallen so low? Everyone has that amount of cheese in the fridge!

For the Lord Of Cheese we need a number that is higher than that :)

Let not our standards fall! Would Lord Of The Pork make a bacon sandwich and call it a day?

Quattro? Quattro?

Are we fallen so low? Everyone has that amount of cheese in the fridge!

For the Lord Of Cheese we need a number that is higher than that :)

Let not our standards fall! Would Lord Of The Pork make a bacon sandwich and call it a day?

:D

I agree he's earned his peerage. I would have liked to have gone higher than quattro but he has only shown me four cheeses. What can I do?

I saw Man vs Food last week. The carnivore special.

Quattro maiale - proscuitto, bacon, ham and porchetta all on a sandwich!

I agree he's earned his peerage. I would have liked to have gone higher than quattro but he has only shown me four cheeses. What can I do?

Demand more and send his scrawny arse back into the cheese factory!

I saw Man vs Food last week. The carnivore special.

I think you have to watch at least 5 episodes to really grasp the beauty of that show. Preferably back to back.

I will warn that if you watch 10 or more you will become warped.

I think you have to watch at least 5 episodes to really grasp the beauty of that show. Preferably back to back.

Or nauseous... :laugh:

Back into the dark satanic cheese mills. That sort of existence would curdle your blood in wheys unknown.

I need want cable. I want need to move back to Melbourne.

curdle your blood in wheys unknown.

oh my f*cking lord. I have really been so lame in bad puns over the past few days. That is the second one which has killed me. Both for sheer animosity of of coolness and also because I didn't see it coming.

oh my f*cking lord. I have really been so lame in bad puns over the past few days. That is the second one which has killed me. Both for sheer animosity of of coolness and also because I didn't see it coming.

Ms clown is the punster. I'm strictly satire. But she is much smarter than me. :):crybaby:

Ms clown is the punster. I'm strictly satire. But she is much smarter than me. :):crybaby:

At least you're not sarcastic.

At least you're not sarcastic.

Well, TBH I wouldn't claim to be above it. :blush: