Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndersB

Buying quality food

9 posts in this topic

I'm on a fruit and vegetable juice binge, where I try to replace two meals per day with juice.

Brisbane Markets was fantastic! I went there last week for the first time ever.

http://www.brisbanemarkets.com.au/

I picked up a box of navel oranges - 15 kg for $12. That's $0.80 per kilo, and after juicing it is about $1.60 per litre of pure sweet nectar! No mouldy fruit and ground up mice in that juice!

20 kg of good quality carrots - also very sweet - cost $9.

Celery was $24 for a box of 10kg. I hate celery when eaten raw, but juicing it with carrots makes a great drink.

Tomatoes was $16 for 10kg.

I'm hooked! These are great prices for produce that is probably as fresh as the greengrocers get them.

I'm on a fruit and vegetable juice binge, where I try to replace two meals per day with juice.

I picked up a box of navel oranges - 15 kg for $12. That's $0.80 per kilo, and after juicing it is about $1.60 per litre of pure sweet nectar! No mouldy fruit and ground up mice in that juice!

Celery was $24 for a box of 10kg. I hate celery when eaten raw, but juicing it with carrots makes a great drink.

I'm hooked! These are great prices for produce that is probably as fresh as the greengrocers get them.

Is this to lose weight?

Or just health consciousness?

I like fruit juice - but not much of a vegie juice lover. yuck!

must be healthy for you though! Well done and keep it up

Is this to lose weight?

Or just health consciousness?

A bit of both. My weight is sort of OK for my age - but losing 5 kg or so would be good. Reading up on some research papers got me convinced about the health benefits of vegetable juice.

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&q=vegetable+juice+benefit&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

It started with my dear wife buying a cold press juicer and adding fruit and veggie juice to her diet. She felt more energetic and healthier from it. She then went on a complete fruit and veggie juice fast and has dropped 4 kg after 6 days - while feeling terrific. She has of course always had a radiant personality, but her skin absolutely glows with the diet. She plans to do this diet for 30 days.

To give her a bit of moral support in her efforts, I started having freshly squeezed orange juice in the mornings. The juice from the cold press juicer was the best tasting juice I have ever had! So, then I started having a bit of vegetable juice as well. Home made veggie juice tastes quite OK and it seems to perk me up a bit.

Not having enough fruit and vegetables in your diet catches up with you as you age. Juicing is by far the most enjoyable way of consuming vegetables. I cannot stomach eating 1 kg of vegetables every day, but drinking 0.5 litres of juice that 1kg would produce is easy to drink (2 glasses).

That's a lot of fruit man. Good buying though. I'm guessing that freezing will reduce the vitamin value? Be good if you could freeze it. Crazy business idea #367: Vegetable juice iceblocks. You heard it here first.

My sister tells me Rocklea markets do an excellent line in Waygu beef as well. (if you tire of the veges)

I need to drop a fews pounds so I'd be interested to hear how it goes A.

I'd suggest you start small and build up. Since switching to organic foods my fresh food bill has jumped to around $150/wk... good food is pricy. It's easy to notice the difference in taste.

Edit: bill is for two adults.

Edited by Mr Medved

I'd suggest you start small and build up. Since switching to organic foods my fresh food bill has jumped to around $150/wk... good food is pricy. It's easy to notice the difference in taste.

Edit: bill is for two adults.

Organic Tomatoes sold me on organic food. The difference in taste was phenomenal.

It might sound cliched but I thought to myself as I ate my first organic tomato “What have I been eating all this time?"

regarding juice recipes YouTube is great. In particular is the user account liferegenerator by Dan the Man. I have some of his videos. Very amateurish in quality but his “Green juice Recipes” DVD is awesome for the recipes. But there are plenty of great ones for free on the tube