Martin Armstrong's Economic Writings

3927 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Swaize said:

i guess this time government will just steal the pensions cause goldman aint gonna bail them out lol ;)

They will probably have to takeover government pension schemes as they go bankrupt from being forced to buy 'safe' government bonds, paying next to nothing in yield.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:07 PM, Swaize said:

Hey thanks for the tip!

I love mountainbiking, will make a mental notoce to get myself a bike by spring.

What about strength training using body weight or max 20kg? How is that on the joints?

From what I have put together from studies I have read and observing the older sensei (say 80+ years old) in various martial arts which I do ranging from insanely physical to quite sedate I think the two things are very different.

General activity for a few 30 minute sessions a week is super great for your mental well being which seems to translate into pretty decent physical ability in the "as expected" range. Like some shodou (japanese calligraphy) sensei I know are old but way more "alive" (for want of a better word) than many of the other old people I know of the same age range. Mostly I attribute this to just being involved in life. Good shodou requires you to use core muscles but it is hardly what most would consider a work out. I get more inky than sweaty. Similar for things like tai chi (although I don't do that and can only comment based on watching).

Endurance stuff keeps you skinny sick. Long distance cycling running etc. People are physically good looking but only as healthy as their lifestyle would suggest. Pretty much the same as shodou except skinnier.

Amateur high impact stuff focussing on stamina is ridiculously bad for you at any level above casual, especially if you "single thing it". I am only 46 and I am experiencing a few problems from this (despite not really being a single thing guy).  I had an eye opening about what I was doing to myself when I went to an event where certain groups 80+ guys were basically useless geriatrics at anything except that one thing they do (and not even really that good at that, they just had 60 yrs of knowledge).

Amateur high impact stuff done in short bursts is good for you. If you are doing weights for example don't f*ck around with an hour in the gym lifting something you can lift for an hr. Get in and out with 10 minutes of actual lifting over an hr.

Amateur high impact stuff done in an environment which has semi professional guidance is insanely good for you. I've been training a sh*tload of japanese bayonet fencing over the past two years (maybe 20hrs a week). It is a martial art almost exclusively practised by the military who, unsurprisingly, don't view days off with much happiness. Due to the pedagogy being handed down via instructors whose job it is to ensure you are ready to go fight a war or help disaster victims there are some very simple and notable differences.

So I guess I would say chose something which is sprint oriented with a community aspect - "lift hard, lift heavy then go to the pub" (and has a low injury rate due to decent instructors) or "hang out with friends then go to the pub". Depending on what physical appearance you are after.

Mountain biking I would not put in the range of sensible options if you even faintly want to try having fun. Injury rate is too high. Strength training with body weight looks like maybe okay but you want a good coach and realistically heavy weight lifting has more studies into damage and how to avoid it and coaches that have proven track records.

If some one does a stretch session at the end of the class rather than the beginning it is always a good sign, everyone else is an idiot.

1 person likes this