cobran20

Martin Armstrong's Economic Writings

3841 posts in this topic

While I agree completely with Armstrongs thoughts on Japan joining CIPS (and not abandoning SWIFT - which has to be retarded, does anyone actually think that or is it a strawman?) I have to point out that his statement about "credit cards wouldn't work in the west" misses a key point: many / most Japanese people just don't have/use credit cards.

Amazon japan accepts payment at your local convenience store on delivery. Paying all your bills in cash at the local 7/11 (lawson, circle K whatever) is what almost everyone does. For the Olympics they are trying to force places into accepting credit cards. For a lot of places I am unsure as to whether that will work.

21 hours ago, tor said:

While I agree completely with Armstrongs thoughts on Japan joining CIPS (and not abandoning SWIFT - which has to be retarded, does anyone actually think that or is it a strawman?) I have to point out that his statement about "credit cards wouldn't work in the west" misses a key point: many / most Japanese people just don't have/use credit cards.

Amazon japan accepts payment at your local convenience store on delivery. Paying all your bills in cash at the local 7/11 (lawson, circle K whatever) is what almost everyone does. For the Olympics they are trying to force places into accepting credit cards. For a lot of places I am unsure as to whether that will work.

That's one of the reasons why I like Japan. I'm a cash guy and don't particularly like cards.

I take it that direct trade between China and Japan will use CIPS, but for most or all other trade they will continue to use SWIFT.

No idea. I would assume whichever is cheapest unless China is banning renmimbi use on SWIFT or something. But my bank in singapore does renmimbi in & out now so I am assuming the rules changed a few months back.

On 21/05/2014 at 6:59 PM, cobran20 said:

Ok Tor, you can set a reminder to review this prediction at the end of this year and again in 2017!

Australia – A Fresh Look at Down-Under

I presume you've been keeping an eye on Armstrong's accuracy there Tor? It is important to make objective assessments.

IMO, so far that 2014 prediction is still on track if the All Ords makes a high this year.

1.JPG

11 hours ago, cobran20 said:

I presume you've been keeping an eye on Armstrong's accuracy there Tor? It is important to make objective assessments.

IMO, so far that 2014 prediction is still on track if the All Ords makes a high this year.

That would be an errant assumption. I assume when he gets things right his fans will trumpet it.

Marty still calls for a new low in gold in USD

Marty apparently said at the conference (2nd hand knowledge hearsay) that the aussi and canadian will be strong currencies now (not much more to fall anyway hey?) and that the dollar will still be stronger than both.  

2nd hand knowledge from i think martys CEO ashley is that for example the yen will be weak, chinese will be weak has elected a yearly bearish this year

DAX and DOW are super strong so the flight into stocks seems to be happening, hold onto your seats!

Oh and.... bitcoin has broken out :) 1200$ now

9 hours ago, Swaize said:

I have my own indicator for gold. Yesterday a former colleague (originally from India) asked me about bullion dealers. I think either his family in India or his Indian friends have been in his ear.

The last time he asked about bullion dealers was about five years ago, around the same time as the last low. So it may be a good time to buy an ounce or two.

On 5/21/2014 at 6:59 PM, cobran20 said:
11 hours ago, Swaize said:

Marty apparently said at the conference (2nd hand knowledge hearsay) that the aussi and canadian will be strong currencies now (not much more to fall anyway hey?) and that the dollar will still be stronger than both.  

2nd hand knowledge from i think martys CEO ashley is that for example the yen will be weak, chinese will be weak has elected a yearly bearish this year

DAX and DOW are super strong so the flight into stocks seems to be happening, hold onto your seats!

the AUDUSD had a big  drop overnight, along with gold & silver. So perhaps, it (they) is not ready for prime time just yet. 

1.JPG

Edited by cobran20

12 hours ago, Swaize said:

Back in Nov 2016, you stated that Armstrong called for Jan 2017 to be important for the $A. So far, Jan-Feb 2017 could be a top, unless it turns up quickly.

2.JPG

I wonder what Armstrong would make of the line chart below. I wonder if the trend is going to reverse.

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/chart-end-world-poverty-sight/

charts-world-poverty.jpg

As a footnote, a guest speaker I listened to a couple of weeks ago said that freedoms are reducing (in Australia and around the world) and that the trend is going to continue.

Edited by Mr Medved

10 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

I wonder what Armstrong would make of the line chart below. I wonder if the trend is going to reverse.

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/chart-end-world-poverty-sight/

charts-world-poverty.jpg

As a footnote, a guest speaker I listened to a couple of weeks ago said that freedoms are reducing (in Australia and around the world) and that the trend is going to continue.

I'd like to see how their going to resolve poverty in Africa, without the UN not having to roll their troops in and establish their own 'benevolent' dictatorship. One of the main issues with resolving poverty is extreme government corruption and tribal wars.