staringclown

Got wine?

47 posts in this topic

Currently supping a Kaesler 2007 vintage "The Bogan". It has the same chocolate/tobacco notes as the noons eclipse Dose but is more available (Dan Murphys) $38 but a nice tipple.

I am familiar with The Bogan! It is quite a treat, a bit pricey but certainly a nice wine for special occaisions. Like Tuesday dinners! I noticed it at Dan Murphy's only recently, but have known of the wine for a few years (and I do perv the Dan Murphy "fine wine" section when I'm in there) so I wonder if it is a recent addition to their range? I gifted one a few years ago and I don't think the recipient thought it was a "nice" bottle of wine. I didn't worry about it; I knew that eventually they would be pleased unless they regifted it, in which case they have no one to blame but themselves.

I am familiar with The Bogan! It is quite a treat, a bit pricey but certainly a nice wine for special occaisions. Like Tuesday dinners! I noticed it at Dan Murphy's only recently, but have known of the wine for a few years (and I do perv the Dan Murphy "fine wine" section when I'm in there) so I wonder if it is a recent addition to their range? I gifted one a few years ago and I don't think the recipient thought it was a "nice" bottle of wine. I didn't worry about it; I knew that eventually they would be pleased unless they regifted it, in which case they have no one to blame but themselves.

Yes I think the name "Bogan" has some negative connotations. Might explain why your friend was underwhelmed. :D It's named after the vineyard.

I found some tasting notes. Halliday gave it 94/100.

Tried the Kaesler "Avignon" 2008 (Costco ~$21)

They had bogan for $36 but seem to have run out. So I went for another Kaesler. Grenache(46%), Shiraz(39%), Mourvedre(15%)

Rich, lingering palete. I got plum. Costco are buying good wine!

Meerea Park Hunter Valley 2006 Semillon (Costco $23)

A reasonably pale hue. Woody, all the fruit is gone and this will not appeal to casual NZ sav blanc drinkers. Whisky drinkers will enjoy.

Costco have reidel wine glasses at $50 for four. These are great glasses for focusing the nose and letting you get the most from your wine. No sh*t. I've seen single glasses for > $30

Tried the Kaesler "Avignon" 2008 (Costco ~$21)

They had bogan for $36 but seem to have run out. So I went for another Kaesler. Grenache(46%), Shiraz(39%), Mourvedre(15%)

Rich, lingering palete. I got plum. Costco are buying good wine!

Meerea Park Hunter Valley 2006 Semillon (Costco $23)

A reasonably pale hue. Woody, all the fruit is gone and this will not appeal to casual NZ sav blanc drinkers. Whisky drinkers will enjoy.

Costco have reidel wine glasses at $50 for four. These are great glasses for focusing the nose and letting you get the most from your wine. No sh*t. I've seen single glasses for > $30

excellent tips--thanks. i was about to suggest we create an "under $20 wine thread" too so the poorer among us could contribute and you come and post two wines close enough to 20 so as to not matter, rendering my idea moot. the wine glasses sound great except i keep breaking them. only one of our previous set of 6 remains... still if only used for good wines, and if i stop using them before i get too tipsy....

Can't get bogan anywhere in Canberra now. I can order 2002 bogan from my local merchant but he wants 80 per bottle! We should have kept out mouths shut. :)

excellent tips--thanks. i was about to suggest we create an "under $20 wine thread" too so the poorer among us could contribute and you come and post two wines close enough to 20 so as to not matter, rendering my idea moot. the wine glasses sound great except i keep breaking them. only one of our previous set of 6 remains... still if only used for good wines, and if i stop using them before i get too tipsy....

Scoffing down some Audrey Wilkinson 2009 chardonnay. It's around the twenty mark. Eminently drinkable. Label says peach and guava but I only got peach. :)

The trouble with most twenty dollar bootles is they lack real individuality. I have tasted at least 30+ different NZ sav blancs at the $20 mark. 3 in total have a notable difference to the others. (Isobella, pear tree and huia) Each one has risen in price now of course but you can still get them ~25. 20 is the new ten. It is the stuff of middle class mass consumption. The new jacobs creek as it were.

The audrey wilkinson chardonnay for example a lot less wooded than the creamy yarra valley wines like st huberts and chateau yering. I was thinking that these wines are more french in style. (hence the names I suppose - duh) At least in my limited experience with french chardonnay. French chardonnay seems to me to have much bigger flavours and is quite woody. So although I would recommend the chardy there are a lot better for my taste. 7/10

I bought a case of aged french semillon at auction once at the 20 dollar mark. Deep yellow in colour from Alsace. Tasted like petrol smells. In desperate moments I would crack open a bottle. Eventually you acquire a taste. That one took me ages. :D

Edit: don't get me wrong 20 is my usual price point. If I find any exceptionally good wines at 20 perhaps I should just PM them so we don't help boost prices.

Had a 2011 Hedonist Chardonnay last night. $7 off at IGA brought it down to $19.99 and thus within my feeble reach. The first glass was... peculiar. The strong odour of oak made me think "whisky, whisky, whisky" and then it actually started to taste like whisky. a strange, weak, wine-flavoured whisky. My wife said I was stupid and that it tasted of plum. On the bottle it said "oak and peach" so to keep the wife happy i crossed out peach and wrote in plum. however a bit later, perhaps because i had grown used to the oakiness, the peachiness started to come through. it was a very nice $20 wine, a lot more distinctive than what I usually get in the 15-20 range...

To be perfectly honest, however, I really just bought it because of the name and because it has a picture of a pig on the bottle. And pigs remind me of pork. And I like pork.

The trouble with most twenty dollar bootles is they lack real individuality.

But your spelling doesn't... :laugh:

Speaking of individuality, we are currently drinking Taylors Clare Cab Sav, 2009, about $15/bottle.

Good price and a great quaffer for winter.

Every bottle seems to be slightly different, as consistency isn't exactly their thing...no two bottles seem to taste exactly the same, although they are all in the 'palatable for the price' kind of spectrum.

There is generally a good balance of blackcurrant-y fruit and oak, but beyond that I'd say just about every bottle is a new adventure... :)

But your spelling doesn't... :laugh:

Speaking of individuality, we are currently drinking Taylors Clare Cab Sav, 2009, about $15/bottle.

Good price and a great quaffer for winter.

Every bottle seems to be slightly different, as consistency isn't exactly their thing...no two bottles seem to taste exactly the same, although they are all in the 'palatable for the price' kind of spectrum.

There is generally a good balance of blackcurrant-y fruit and oak, but beyond that I'd say just about every bottle is a new adventure... :)

What you call bottles we call bootles. Tomatos, tomaytos. Potatos, potartoes. It's a Canberra thing. :P

I asked for the hedonist at my local and the guy had an empty bootle under the counter but no full ones! God knows why. I'll have to try an IGA. The pig was cute though.

in the vein of citrusy NZ suav blancs I'm drinking a 2011 "Three Tales". ~$15 at IGA (on sale, but who knows--it's normal price might be $15.01). it would be a great white to have for starters on a hot summer day. strong grapefruit flavour, maybe a bit of honey too? not much in the way of depth or finish, but it is refreshing and cheap-ish.

in the vein of citrusy NZ suav blancs I'm drinking a 2011 "Three Tales". ~$15 at IGA (on sale, but who knows--it's normal price might be $15.01). it would be a great white to have for starters on a hot summer day. strong grapefruit flavour, maybe a bit of honey too? not much in the way of depth or finish, but it is refreshing and cheap-ish.

suave blancs eh? These are obviously more agreeable than the standard sav blanc then? :lamo:

Three tales is in my phone to check.

I bought a bottle of St Leonards Lumiere last week. It was like munching on a bunch of flowers. $20. A tiny bit to much sweetness for me but unique. Can'damber (get it?) in Weston have it and so might the civic store. Probably Dan as well.

suave blancs eh? These are obviously more agreeable than the standard sav blanc then? :lamo:

Three tales is in my phone to check.

I bought a bottle of St Leonards Lumiere last week. It was like munching on a bunch of flowers. $20. A tiny bit to much sweetness for me but unique. Can'damber (get it?) in Weston have it and so might the civic store. Probably Dan as well.

:P maybe it's just how the wine makes me feel... and i am pretty white... well, tinged with red after a couple of glasses.maybe it should be suave rose. mouthful of flowers... sounds intriguing... probably will set my allergies off though so maybe i should hold back.

it seems really hard to pick a bad NZ white wine... but i have a much more difficult time coming up with decent reds under $20.

Urchin, here's one for your Under Twenty list:

Ryder Shiraz (Clare Valley)

Soft and boozy. -That is not an insult! Under $10 if you look online and you will not be embarrassed if you took this to a mate's for dinner and they opened it.

I've been up and down with my wine selections lately; trying to find The Next Big Thing and have to say my tastes remain consistent this year. -Still have to keep trying, though!

For the more spendy types the Geoff Merrill range continues to win favour.

Urchin, here's one for your Under Twenty list:

Ryder Shiraz (Clare Valley)

Soft and boozy. -That is not an insult! Under $10 if you look online and you will not be embarrassed if you took this to a mate's for dinner and they opened it.

I've been up and down with my wine selections lately; trying to find The Next Big Thing and have to say my tastes remain consistent this year. -Still have to keep trying, though!

For the more spendy types the Geoff Merrill range continues to win favour.

Jeanneret "Grace and saviour" 2006 Grenache Shiraz. ~$20 bottle. Clare valley. Went to a wine tasting tonite in Weston after quite a few IPA's at the wig and pen and I nailed the wine chat. I was all peaches and mangos while the orthodoxy was kiwi fruit. I think I made a pretty good case for cumquat. :o

My staple WA wines (buy by the case and reach for frequently) after much trial and error are:

Voyager Estate

Girt-by-Sea

but I don't pay $24! More like $18 for a case.

Watershed

Shiraz

again I don't pay $24! More like $18 for a case.

Wise wines

sea shell shiraz

If I want to be a bit fancy I might go for

Wise

Cabernet

I am less attached to whites and don't know any from WA.

If I do buy whites I sometimes buy the Pikes Riesling

I grew up in the Hunter Valley. I once liked a Chadonnay from Saddler's Creek, but I haven't had it for a while. I still distinctly remember its flavour and bouquet. I keep meaning to get more when I go back to the East Coast for visits...

My staple WA wines (buy by the case and reach for frequently) after much trial and error are:

Voyager Estate

Girt-by-Sea

but I don't pay $24! More like $18 for a case.

Watershed

Shiraz

again I don't pay $24! More like $18 for a case.

Wise wines

sea shell shiraz

If I want to be a bit fancy I might go for

Wise

Cabernet

I am less attached to whites and don't know any from WA.

If I do buy whites I sometimes buy the Pikes Riesling

I grew up in the Hunter Valley. I once liked a Chadonnay from Saddler's Creek, but I haven't had it for a while. I still distinctly remember its flavour and bouquet. I keep meaning to get more when I go back to the East Coast for visits...

WA wines are my current favourites. They are quite pricey unfortunately. Thinking of reds more than whites. Howard park "leston"

I'm particularly fond of the whites. Most are around the $20 mark Sem sav blancs (voyager, georgiana, stella bella to name a few) but rieslings are also good. Leeuwin estate with it's slight spritz is great in summer.

Scored a bottle of 1996 Penfolds bin 128 tonight. Outside the 20 limit but this is the other method of obtaining a differently flavoured wine. Age. When this wine was made I was 29 and living in Carlton. The nostalgia alone can sometimes be worth buying such a wine.

The first thing you notice is the tannins have mellowed significantly. It would have sucked the spit out of your mouth and given you a jaw ache new. The fresh fruit flavours are also gone. The wholistic effect is berries with tobacco notes but a far more integrated taste. 8/10

I watched an interesting program on the ABC the other day. Chateau chunder or something. I will recommend it as it covered the history of the ascendence of australian wine globally. It is analogous to the acceptance of australian culture globally. (yes there is a culture if you look really closely) But most of all I enjoyed it because we stiffed the pompous french. Be proud of your wine Australia. :)

But most of all I enjoyed it because we stiffed the pompous french. Be proud of your wine Australia. smile.gif

Don't tell ...The Californians!

The-Californians-saturday-night-live-30904547-625-350.jpg

I quite enjoy how France lost the plot making wine so complicated that people revert to their personal taste which then enables other region's legitimacy. Which is ironic, considering terroir and all that.

I'm finding a stubborn allegiance to the $10 Kirkland Sav B and Three Brothers Reunited Shiraz. The good ones, though...the old expensive friends...yeah, they're still worth it when the time is right. In fact the cheap-good-wine discipline makes the fancy nights more enjoyable.

Don't tell ...The Californians!

The-Californians-saturday-night-live-30904547-625-350.jpg

I quite enjoy how France lost the plot making wine so complicated that people revert to their personal taste which then enables other region's legitimacy. Which is ironic, considering terroir and all that.

I'm finding a stubborn allegiance to the $10 Kirkland Sav B and Three Brothers Reunited Shiraz. The good ones, though...the old expensive friends...yeah, they're still worth it when the time is right. In fact the cheap-good-wine discipline makes the fancy nights more enjoyable.

A friends brother is working in the Napa Valley. The Californians make some good wine. I have tried his label and it is one of those wineries that don't sell retail. There is a waiting list. I can't remember the brand but am catching up with said friend and will try and find out what it was.

I'll try the Kirkland when I get back from Melbourne. :)

A friends brother is working in the Napa Valley. The Californians make some good wine. I have tried his label and it is one of those wineries that don't sell retail. There is a waiting list. I can't remember the brand but am catching up with said friend and will try and find out what it was.

I'll try the Kirkland when I get back from Melbourne. :)

Not the Napa Valley but Russian River. The name of the winery is Williams Selyem.

Not the Napa Valley but Russian River. The name of the winery is Williams Selyem.

Having completed a recognizance of the Marlborough region I have a wine suggestion which if you have the chance is worth a look. The usual sav blanc available in Oz is drinkable as a rule but samey. The good stuff the kiwis hide away.

Tohu mugwi reserve 2011

A mere 350 cases produced. It has passionfruit. It is without a second thought the best sav blanc I have ever tasted. Beats Te koko hands down. In a word. Superb. :)/>