Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

vinegar

4 posts in this topic

i usually just buy the cheapest white vinegar. but i'm making mint jelly (where vinegar is major ingredient) so i bought the more expensive one. is there any difference between cheap and dear?

i usually just buy the cheapest white vinegar. but i'm making mint jelly (where vinegar is major ingredient) so i bought the more expensive one. is there any difference between cheap and dear?

Generally not much difference if it is just a basic white vinegar that is needed. That is, there is a difference but not sufficient to warrant the price IMO.

Mint is such a strong flavour that it wouldn't make much difference.

There certainly is a detectable difference in the flavour profile of different vinegars, which is why I have about half a dozen (white, cider, balsamic, chinese, japanese etc - and I don't care how bourgeois that makes me sound!), but that is mostly for situations where the vinegar is a top note - dumplings, cold noodles, salads etc.

For most anglo recipes and all preserves, I use cheap white vinegar.

Generally not much difference if it is just a basic white vinegar that is needed. That is, there is a difference but not sufficient to warrant the price IMO.

Mint is such a strong flavour that it wouldn't make much difference.

There certainly is a detectable difference in the flavour profile of different vinegars, which is why I have about half a dozen (white, cider, balsamic, chinese, japanese etc - and I don't care how bourgeois that makes me sound!), but that is mostly for situations where the vinegar is a top note - dumplings, cold noodles, salads etc.

For most anglo recipes and all preserves, I use cheap white vinegar.

thanks. now for the recipe

put 1 cup of vinegar and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a saucepan, bring it slowly to boil. simmer for 3 minutes, remove from heat. add 1/2 cup of finely chopped mint and half a pack of lime jelly. mix. allow to cool. stir in 1/2 cup of sweet sherry. put in some old taco sauce jars. refrigerate. made three small jars.

using pectin instead of jelly would be more authentic but then it turns out brown and most people are off put by that. not my dad though - his first comment was that it should be brown! my folks said it was better than bought stuff, but i couldn't taste the difference.

food that is also booze i do like!

thanks. now for the recipe

put 1 cup of vinegar and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a saucepan, bring it slowly to boil. simmer for 3 minutes, remove from heat. add 1/2 cup of finely chopped mint and half a pack of lime jelly. mix. allow to cool. stir in 1/2 cup of sweet sherry. put in some old taco sauce jars. refrigerate. made three small jars.

using pectin instead of jelly would be more authentic but then it turns out brown and most people are off put by that. not my dad though - his first comment was that it should be brown! my folks said it was better than bought stuff, but i couldn't taste the difference.

food that is also booze i do like!

Sounds good. I would prefer green to brown. Lime jelly is interesting.

Can't really add much to what ruffian said. I use cheap vinegar for pickles and preserves. Save the good stuff for dressings and sauces.

Half a dozen is the bare essentials. 12 is bourgeois. :) red wine, sherry, tomato, tarragon, coconut (vindaloos) chinese black etc