GenGen

How TV ruined aspiration

20 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone/everyone(?)'s seen this but I thought it was hilarious and sums a lot of what I think is wrong with our society.

Enjoy!

(PS - hope I've added this link correctly...)

Edited by GenGen
2 people like this

Not sure if anyone/everyone(?)'s seen this but I thought it was hilarious and sums a lot of what I think is wrong with our society.

Enjoy!

(PS - hope I've added this link correctly...)

Oh noes!! I accidentally 'minused 1' my own reputation. Doh! Does anyone know how I can fix it??

3 people like this

I forgot how bad television is. It's like something out of a Clockwork Orange when I'm occasionally exposed to it.

That was brilliant! Of course it kills this forum stone dead. Especially that bourgeois recipe thread. :blush:

Truth be told I'd be happy enough living across the road from the 'laksa king' in flemington. But we have to plot and scheme to achieve even those modest goals...

That was brilliant! Of course it kills this forum stone dead. Especially that bourgeois recipe thread. :blush:

I rest my case! sleep.gif

'f*ck me, we are doomed!'

It's certainly an entertaining spray but I don't know that it's actually all that accurate.

People (& most communal animals for that matter) are exquisitely acutely attuned to social variation. TV is just another way of reading those signals.

And that clip is just another way of expressing frustration at not being at the top of the heap. Metaphorically shaking a branch at the top gorilla - from a safe distance, of course.

Nah, we are safe, because we do the things we do assisted by an urbane self-awareness, and motivated purely through enlightened self-interest. :laugh:

'f*ck me, we are doomed!'

It's certainly an entertaining spray but I don't know that it's actually all that accurate.

People (& most communal animals for that matter) are exquisitely acutely attuned to social variation. TV is just another way of reading those signals.

And that clip is just another way of expressing frustration at not being at the top of the heap. Metaphorically shaking a branch at the top gorilla - from a safe distance, of course.

Nah, we are safe, because we do the things we do assisted by an urbane self-awareness, and motivated purely through enlightened self-interest. :laugh:

Erm....

Aren't we all here because we're motivated by an altruistic desire to tread lightly on the planet and make the best use of our scare resources? :-)

I took the message to be all about greed, want, desire, consumerism, take, take, take. I particularly liked the spray about Grand Designs and he's right! I like the show but some of those houses are just ridiculous and set an irresponsible 'standard' for us to measure our homes by.

I took the message to be all about greed, want, desire, consumerism, take, take, take. I particularly liked the spray about Grand Designs and he's right! I like the show but some of those houses are just ridiculous and set an irresponsible 'standard' for us to measure our homes by.

Yes yes yes, sure it is about all those things. But it isn't just about those things. Look deeper.

While it is amusing, that video also panders to the chattering classes desire to be seen to be aware and sensitive to issues that they are often the most guilty of perpetuating. Do you think the narrator would turn down any of the things he was deriding if they were given to him, no strings attached?

It is also facile, as TV is not the root of all evil in this case. TV only shows programs people want to see. (Ever had a favourite program that was abruptly cancelled due to poor figures? Sorry about that, your demographic was just too small!) People love to judge others and to rate themselves against the Joneses and anyone else they can access.

Some would say that Grand designs is aspirational as lot of them are ecosensitive and have meadows planted on their roofs and are passively solar etc. - things that would benefit the planet if we all had them. Others would say it's simple voyeurism, like a beauty pageant - people don't look like that in real life but someone marries them anyway. Same with houses. Yet others see it as setting an irresponsible standard.

FWIW, in terms of consumerist aspirations I would probably rank below most, choosing to live well below my means, and having a background enabling me to see pretty damn clearly the difference between a want and a need.

I am profoundly disturbed by this consumerist culture, but I am also disturbed by those that feed off it in less obvious ways.

That clip was great, an interesting, on-topic, laugh. But was it motivated purely from ideology? I really, really doubt it.

...That clip was great, an interesting, on-topic, laugh. But was it motivated purely from ideology? I really, really doubt it.

+1

Ideologically sound humour is rarely humour.

I rest my case! sleep.gif

They'll get my le creuset saucepans when they prise them from my cold, dead fingers!

And here was me thinking I was just another pretentious, middle class twat. :D

hahah that guy is hilarious.

But seriously though, makes me look back at all the "stuff" I have that I probably don't need - Did TV make me get these?

Don't lose sight of why you get all of your stuff in the first place, and what's more important in life =)

thew sucky 16 year old who didnt want the car given to her now, was priceless.

id sell her to white slavers in some arabic country myself, and thats if i was her parent.

And here was me thinking I was just another pretentious, middle class twat. :D

Are the two things mutually exclusive? :-)

In all seriousness, I don't think that TV has necessarily ruined aspiration, but it's arguing that constant bombardment of images from the media has contributed to consumerism, similar to it being partially responsible for violence in teens, body image crises, the sexualisation of children, etc.

I aspire to much of what I see on Grand Designs, particularly the eco-friendly stuff, but will try not to become a slave to that aspiration. As someone implied above (sorry, forgot to quote you!), we're all a bit hypocritical in terms of criticising things we actively reinforce, which is partly why you won't find me attaching myself any more firmly to a cause than the occasional snarky forum post - because I know I'm a big fat hypocrite!

thew sucky 16 year old who didnt want the car given to her now, was priceless.

id sell her to white slavers in some arabic country myself, and thats if i was her parent.

I would settle for punching her in the face. Repeatedly.

I don't have a TV - only a set-top box that I connect to the computer monitor just in case there is something special being broadcast. The set-top box hasn't been used for over a year.

Are the two things mutually exclusive? :-)

In all seriousness, I don't think that TV has necessarily ruined aspiration, but it's arguing that constant bombardment of images from the media has contributed to consumerism, similar to it being partially responsible for violence in teens, body image crises, the sexualisation of children, etc.

I aspire to much of what I see on Grand Designs, particularly the eco-friendly stuff, but will try not to become a slave to that aspiration. As someone implied above (sorry, forgot to quote you!), we're all a bit hypocritical in terms of criticising things we actively reinforce, which is partly why you won't find me attaching myself any more firmly to a cause than the occasional snarky forum post - because I know I'm a big fat hypocrite!

Probably not. :)

I'm wondering if consumerism has gotten worse lately though. I remember David Frost hosting "Lifestyles of the rich and famous" when I was a kid. Appalling program.

I agree that the sexualisation of children is a bad thing and has been pushed by advertisers. Same as obesity. But it's more a 'feeling' and not based on any empirical studies. I remember having quite a few fights as a teen. So I'm not sure this is a new thing. The rise of the house as an investment vehicle I find disturbing. It used to be just a place to live.

The ability to delay gratification seems to have reduced with the availability of easy credit. I find this more worrying than people having aspirations. Aspiration is necessary IMHO and part of human nature.

I too am a sucker for Grand Designs for the same reasons as you state. I can't honestly say that I aspire to that much really. I try to enjoy the journey as much as possible. Who wants to be the richest guy in the boneyard? I squirrel away as much as I can be bothered squirrelling for a rainy day and have no debt. I have no intention of taking on huge debt so that I have to worry about losing my job. If I buy a house I hope to pay cash or close as possible to it.

I'll get out on the streets if I'm pissed off enough. I have been pissed off enough on several occasions. The walk from trades hall to southgate has been regular exercise in the past. :)

Doesn't mean I'm less of a hypocrite. It was usually motivated by self interest. (But I might be slightly thinner due to the exercise B) )

On the bright side spin is becoming more widely seen for what it is. The gruen transfer, chasers and the excellent clip you posted above (and this forum) are examples.

Good wine, good food and good company is what I aspire most to. The rest is gravy.