Mr Medved

Your superannuation strategy for 2012

8 members have voted

1. 1. What's your approach for super heading into 2012?

• Defensive (cash only, etc.)
    • Neutral (mix of asset classes)
    • Aggressive (ASX to the moon!)
    • Other (please explain)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 posts in this topic

Share your thoughts on your superannuation strategy for 2012.

Not going to put my money into it this year either. Going to put all my money against the mortgage.

Cash only until the Eurozone crisis is sorted, some abysmal EU data out leading out to the New Year. Also US debt crisis and a China debt crisis.

I'm expecting an EU bank failure before too long. I'll review when the ASX is under 3000 and The Fed are going to print along with what remains of the EMU.

Neutral.

It's my only exposure to the stock market and my super isn't a huge sum in the cosmic scheme of things.

It is also really a kind of work of fiction, as I have limited faith that I'll ever get it back.

I went defensive just before the GFC due to an apparently well-timed sense of unease. However I don't have the same sense of imminent doom right now (although I know I should). If I do, I'll switch to defensive. There's nothing like hard facts to base your decision-making on! :rolleyes:

No new money in though, other than the compulsory contributions - like Tor, any spare cash will be aggressively directed toward the mortgage.

I'm currently in cash and not looking to move unless there is a major fall in the markets (like in early 2009).

I'm currently in cash and not looking to move unless there is a major fall in the markets (like in early 2009).

That bottom was facilitated by QE1, I'm waiting for QE3.

1325333969[/url]' post='56286']

I put mine in cash over a year ago,, it will stay there until an ounce of gold buys the ASX.

Why not run your own SMSF and buy, say, Perth Mint gold warrants on the ASX?

SMSF's outperforming men-in-suits!

Australia: SMSF – a matter of self-interest

Reece Agland, senior policy adviser at the Institute of Public Accountants, compares the performance of self-managed super funds to retail and industry funds:

Let’s look at the facts. For the three most recent years where performance has been measured SMSFs out performed both retail and industry funds. The average operating cost of an SMSF fell from 0.72% of assets in 2007 down to 0.57% in 2009 – less than average costs for either industry or retail funds1. With average assets of over $888,000 in 2009/10 (up from $475,000 in 2003/4) they exceed the average assets per member compared to other types of funds. Their rate of non-compliance at 2% is at around the same for other superannuation funds and the number of funds that fail in any one year is very small.

1362991279[/url]' post='66441']

rolled my 1st home savers over to super. in a year the gov will take it, so long retirement money

You might have been better off leaving it there and continuing to contribute... Does anyone know if you're still good for 17% from the government every year (on the 1st $6k) after your 4 years minimum time is up?If so its probably the best 'cash' 'super' you can have.

You might have been better off leaving it there and continuing to contribute... Does anyone know if you're still good for 17% from the government every year (on the 1st $6k) after your 4 years minimum time is up?If so its probably the best 'cash' 'super' you can have.

yeah you can contribute every year until it meets maximum level. but as cash stands for me, i wont be contributing anything anyhow. maybe every few months ill slip in $10 just to keep it out of gov hands, not sure what will be worse the gov account or the funds. oh and its all cash. well bonds and cash, somehow less than interest than savings deposit rates, but that is what going with the people who are smarter at investments get you.

Edited by savagegoose

1362998333[/url]' post='66442']

Sorry i suppose this logic only applies if you have a relatively low marginal tax rate... Oops rolleyes.gif

Perhaps one should be concerned more about a strategy about a greedy, bankrupt government 'managing' your super:

Retirement Savings Accounts Draw U.S. Consumer Bureau Attention

The U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is weighing whether it should take on a role in helping Americans manage the $19.4 trillion they have put into retirement savings, a move that would be the agency’s first foray into consumer investments...

It always starts for 'benevolent' purposes only.

Perhaps one should be concerned more about a strategy about a greedy, bankrupt government 'managing' your super:

Retirement Savings Accounts Draw U.S. Consumer Bureau Attention

It always starts for 'benevolent' purposes only.

It seems that politicians think that everyone can have above average returns on investments - if the government can be in control.

It seems that politicians think that everyone can have above average returns on investments - if the government can be in control.

It's more like they will force super money to be 'invested' in government projects to plug the deficit! censored.gif