tom

Saving on Nicotine Patches

86 posts in this topic

I understand smoking is not a very frugal endeavor to start with, so I have just given it up, I hope... :mellow:

Anyway, my wife brought home 10mg patches in a pack of 7 for $30.00. This was because I only smoke 10 - 12 per day and 8mg cigerettes so the pharmisist suggested that I would be getting more from the patches than what I smoke if I went any higher.

Anyway, looking at them I see no reason why you could not buy the stronger patches and cut them in half to get the same effect as the weaker patch and save a packet on the patches. This would be particularly handy for the next step where a one week supply of the stronger patches could last you four weeks by cutting them in four?

Does anyone know of any reason why this would not work? Why is this not the way they are sold so you tear off the required amount? You could also get more control and reduce the dose gradually?

I'm not doctor or anything, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Regardless of whether the dose is measured by surface contact or strength, half a patch would be half a dose, surely?

Good luck with it. I've been smoke free since last November - the trick for me was to change the habits. Smoking was something I did at certain times of the day when I was doing something/s else somewhere else. Stopping doing the something/s else somewhere else made breaking the habit easier. Addiction by association or something? Bah. It was just a habit.

12/day = 150x$13/year = $1950/yr

If patches do it for you (halved or not), you won't look back! :)

Note: I've googled for an official word on this and can't find one. Just lots of opinions. I'll ask a doctor and let you know if I get an answer.

Thanks,

I agree the habit thing is an issue.

They say Corona was able to overtake Heinekin as the worlds most drunk beer all because of the lime ritual. Rituals are powerfull things and apparently heinekin has been scratching around for one of there own. For me, my mobile rings during the day, I'm on my way outside for a cig as I am picking it up.

What am I going to do now when I am waiting for my luggage at the airport? :huh:

What am I going to do now when I am stuck in traffic? :huh:

All these things concern me but I have to push through. The government raising the tax on them to get them up to $20.00 a packet has certainly had an impact on me, my first thought, they got me on housing, they are not going to get me on another product they think has a flat demand curve. :angry:

Anyway as you say if I can give them away in 2 and a half years I would have saved as mutch as the new transmission in my mazda just cost me. :lol:

Anyway I hope in 8 months I am cig free as well. Well done.

I had better warn anyone who reads this thread that the latest info I have just got from the local pharmacist is that the new nicotine patches have a different delivery system, and cutting them in half does not work anymore? :huh: Aparently it was all the go with the old style patches, but then they changed the "delivery system".

Don't know what this means exactly, whether when you cut them up they are still full strength, cause that's even better value it would be like JC breaking up the loaves and fishes. I think what she meant though is cutting them makes them inactive.

I had better warn anyone who reads this thread that the latest info I have just got from the local pharmacist is that the new nicotine patches have a different delivery system, and cutting them in half does not work anymore? :huh: Aparently it was all the go with the old style patches, but then they changed the "delivery system".

Don't know what this means exactly, whether when you cut them up they are still full strength, cause that's even better value it would be like JC breaking up the loaves and fishes. I think what she meant though is cutting them makes them inactive.

Higher temperatures also increase the delivery rate so keep it out of the sun or heat sources.

I tried chewing gum and patches but didn't work for me, what did was changing to rollies and smoking clean tobacco for 6 months and then going cold turkey. The cravings were gone after 3-4 days and haven't smoked for over 9 years now. When I previously tried to kick the 2 packs a day Winnie Red habit I tried them all , cold turkey , hypnosis, chewing gums and patches but always failed after no more then 3-4 weeks. The receipy for eatch brand is different but I suspect some of the ingredients used in flavoring the ciggies are there to stretch the withdrawal symptoms far beyond the normal nicotine craving period.

And if you go cold turkey here are a couple more tips, get a tasty ballpen to chew on and a rubberband to give your hands something to figget with for the first few days.

And if you go cold turkey here are a couple more tips, get a tasty ballpen to chew on and a rubberband to give your hands something to figget with for the first few days.

Thanks for that.

I am 6 days in now, 4 of which I have had no smokes at all, the first two had around three cigs per day. Just finding I am constantly making myself tea, then puring half of them down the sink to keep myself occupied.

I reckon you are right about custom cigs they definitely have something in them that keeps you coming back that you don't get in roll your own. If roll your own was all that was available I reckon I would have given up years ago, I don't like them.

I know someone who has basically been told quit smoking or die (I'm sure that's kind of common, being told that by a doctor, especially after being hauled off to the hospital emergency department and then being flown to the city to get MRI'd, House style). And knowing the doctor who told it to him, I can imagine how she said it too. She's a big Viking-eque woman with a bit of a military manner.

He got a blood clot in his leg. It boggled me a bit - here's me thinking blood clots are little things that go wafting up and get stuck in your brain sometimes and kill you, but no, this guy had the mother of all clots - it was about 30 centimetres long and blocked an entire artery in his leg, it looked horrible. Just imagine the worst varicose veins you've ever seen on a fat old woman on the bus and multiply it a few times. :blink:

He stopped smoking for about a month ...

Thanks cookie monster, unfortunately on the money side of things I have had to spend 5k on my car last week and then 3.8k on my uni fees today. Puts the smoking saving in perspective. :blink: But then again I might get the pay lady at work to pay $40.00 per week into a seperate account, for play money this way I really know it is worth quitting. Then I can spend it on booze in stead. :lol:

RumpledElf, I know where he was coming from. I don't smoke that heavily and smoke only 8mg, so it should be easy for me compared to a heavy smoker on 16mg cigs. I had a throat infection 2 weeks ago and kept smoking, I went on antibiotics and it fixed it in a day and a half, I then came down with the flu and had uncontrollable coughing fits. I was heading outside for cigs to scratch that itch in the chest so to speak. If it was not for my wife, and now daughter, I don't think I would ever given them away whatever my state of health.

Anyway fingers crossed, another day scratced up today. Tommorrow I am out and about for work so this will be the real test.

I am 6 days in now, 4 of which I have had no smokes at all, the first two had around three cigs per day.

:lol: It doesn't work that way. If you had a puff then you smoked, you are 4 days in.

Have a beer but leave about 2 fingers on the bottom of the stubbie and throw a few cigarette buts in there to ferment. In 2-3 days before you go near smokers and get tempted by the tobacco smells in the air open that stubbie and sniff it a couple of times, that should put you off the tobacco smell for good. :D

:lol: It doesn't work that way. If you had a puff then you smoked, you are 4 days in.

Have a beer but leave about 2 fingers on the bottom of the stubbie and throw a few cigarette buts in there to ferment. In 2-3 days before you go near smokers and get tempted by the tobacco smells in the air open that stubbie and sniff it a couple of times, that should put you off the tobacco smell for good. :D

Hell that might put you off beer! Just wire your testicles up to your lighter, at least that might just put you off sex rather than something important.

lol

Anyway, I made it through today.

On Yorkes advice I will notch that up as 5 days in.

How good is it that they have banned smoking in pubs, for the newly reformed (I suppose it is a bit early to be calling me reformed...)

1 person likes this

For what is it worth Tom, my father is a pharmacist and he droped by today after I had seen your post. I inqured about this as it also intrigued me how the patches worked. He said that yes it works by cutting them, BUT, you can't guarantee the exact ammount of nicotine. Also he noted that some of his customers do that, AS PROOF (seriously can't dispute 3th hand observations on the internet!).

So cut away and hope that you get some "really big thirds" from those 21mg patches. Good luck with your non-smoking!

So cut away and hope that you get some "really big thirds" from those 21mg patches.

You not trying to get him addicted to patches now, do you ? :lol:

1 person likes this

Hell that might put you off beer! Just wire your testicles up to your lighter, at least that might just put you off sex rather than something important.

Its while you have a few beers that you are the most vulnerable to lighting "just one". I guess you could also feel the urge to light one while you are having sex but its highly unlikely. :lol:

3 people like this

Baker Sam,

The nicorrette patches I am on look like the full are double the strength of the medium I am on now.

At the end of this week I will try a pack of the full strength and cut them in half to substitute for my mediums. The pharmacist will wonder why I am upgrading... Anyway it is worth a shot becuase if it works it will save me $15.00 per week now and then $20.00 per week when I am down to the light patches. All up $200 odd dollars.

Then I will report back and tell you all how it goes.

Yorke,

Today I went to the pub for lunch, why I was nervously reffering to the ban in pubs in my post last night. Anyway I pulled through and did not smoke. One of the people I was there with was ducking out for smokes and I was able to restrain myself there too.

How long is it before you just completely get over them? Or does this never happen?

Anyway guys thanks for the advice and encouragement.

well the new pbs subsidized nico patches are available or are they?

went to a doc on day one and he assured me that " no nico patches are not on the PBS." i stated well they have banged on about all day every hour on the radio that todays the day theyre avail. so he stated well my data base isant updated and i cant give you a script,.

so come back tomorrow when someone who has a clue might be working.

next day new doctor, same run around, but i get him to call a chemist, sure enough the chemist knows about it but the special packs they come in aint arrived. so doc sends me over without a script and he'll send it to chemist when he gets a clue.

at chemist he says yeah no boxes, yet ill just gove a box of normal and take 1 from your 4 boxes of 7 days patches when they come in.

so 1 script gets you a month [28 days] of patches, and you get 2 repeats on the script.

also you are on an allowance of 3 months worth of patches a year.

not bad sure makes a nico addiction a lot more affordable. now just to make sure im of the paTCHES in 3 months,\

oh yeah for the money wise, thats $5.60 a moonth for pensioner/ health care card holders, and $20 a moonth for the rest.

Edited by savagegoose

Baker Sam,

The nicorrette patches I am on look like the full are double the strength of the medium I am on now.

At the end of this week I will try a pack of the full strength and cut them in half to substitute for my mediums. The pharmacist will wonder why I am upgrading... Anyway it is worth a shot becuase if it works it will save me $15.00 per week now and then $20.00 per week when I am down to the light patches. All up $200 odd dollars.

Then I will report back and tell you all how it goes.

Yorke,

Today I went to the pub for lunch, why I was nervously reffering to the ban in pubs in my post last night. Anyway I pulled through and did not smoke. One of the people I was there with was ducking out for smokes and I was able to restrain myself there too.

How long is it before you just completely get over them? Or does this never happen?

Anyway guys thanks for the advice and encouragement.

I was a pack a day smoker for around 10 years and stopped in April last year. I can remember every occasion I have smoked since (less than 20 cigarettes total). I still think of smoking several times a day and would start back tomorrow if they weren't harmful.

Every cigarette I've had since stopping I have hated at the start and wanted more at the end. I still find the smell of other people smoking pleasant but do notice the lift smoking breath and can understand why people find that offensive.

I used patches (out of date) and cut down smoking (the pharmacist was unhappy with this). Then went to gum. I found the gum better for the strong spur of the moment cravings and patches best for full day cravings.

I'm pleased they are finally part of PBS.

12 of us quit the smokes on New Years Eve.

10 went cold turkey, one went on patches, another on these quitline nicotene suck tube things.

Us 10 cold turkeyers were off the cravings in less than a week. A month later we no longer think of nor care about cigarettes.

The one on patches is back on the fags.

The one using the nicotene straws is back on the fags at double speed.

Then I realised that if these quit products really worked, they'd be out of a job :)

It takes about 3 days to get that drug out of your system. I think thats the most important part. Get rid of the patches and suffer it.

12 of us quit the smokes on New Years Eve.

10 went cold turkey, one went on patches, another on these quitline nicotene suck tube things.

Us 10 cold turkeyers were off the cravings in less than a week. A month later we no longer think of nor care about cigarettes.

The one on patches is back on the fags.

The one using the nicotene straws is back on the fags at double speed.

Then I realised that if these quit products really worked, they'd be out of a job :)

It takes about 3 days to get that drug out of your system. I think thats the most important part. Get rid of the patches and suffer it.

hmmm, even the drugs did not work for me in the end.

sounds like I need to go camping to the back of beyond for a week to get off them then?

Thanks for the advice. My doctor actually told me similar when I got the drugs, he said just stop if you really want to you can do it.

Anyway you 10 are probably the real reason behind the flood levy. 10 people by 3k per annum tax lost. That is 30k! These are people you know? I wonder how much revenue they have lost on this? Maybe they have gone past the sweet spot on teh tax on smokes and future rate increases will drop the revenue raised?

Anyway you 10 are probably the real reason behind the flood levy. 10 people by 3k per annum tax lost. That is 30k! These are people you know? I wonder how much revenue they have lost on this? Maybe they have gone past the sweet spot on teh tax on smokes and future rate increases will drop the revenue raised?

Haha thats brilliant, i will forward that onto them

Haha thats brilliant, i will forward that onto them

Include my (sarcastic) thanks.

Apparently 60% of tax payers will pay no more than $50 a year for the new levy. I guess despite Seans hand wringing about labour they are doing as S3K recommends and taxing the so called rich to pay for the stupid (which is the labour ethos isn't it?).

all i can advise is dont go for the nicabate clear patch.

for a top 100 company in the world you would thing for their $50 sell price they could make a patch that actually sticks.

glaxosmithcline what a dog of a patch lucky i did getin early chemist says he'll swap the script over for nicorette i got a box of them of him , no problem sticking to me,

as to health , i wanna quit for the cash. pure n simple.

hmmm, even the drugs did not work for me in the end.

I've just stubled accross this thread. I tried the patches a few times and lasted for a few months at a time, then some beers and a loss of willpower and I was a smoker again. I agree, those clear patches are useless, in any warm/humid weather they just slide off. I will say that the first patches I tried about 1999 were 24hr ones and would give you some vivid and scary dreams, but they would stick and you had to scrub hard to get the residual glue square(s) off. I found the main use for patches, when I was a smoker, was on 4hr flights to Perth.

What got me off cigs was Zyban pills (aka Bupropion), on the PBS then, I took it for a few days while still smoking and then had no cigs from about day 4 (3 Nov 2007) I really didn't have any urge to have one from that day, but made sure there were none nearby and that everyone around knew not to offer or to give me any. You have to take the pills every day for 3 months, I never missed a day. I am still not smoking (3 yrs), but I think if I had one cig I would buy another pack instantly, so I just have to avoid the first one and I'm fine.

Good luck if you still want to quit, maybe give the drugs a try see if they work for you.

but I think if I had one cig I would buy another pack instantly

That's my problem I love smoking. I have cigars, a pipe and cigarettes around me all the time.

I used to quit for a month once a year just to prove I could quit if I actually wanted to, haven't for a year or two now. Probably should keep that tradition going. I would usually not drink for the same month as the two go together so well and in so many combos.