Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

choice investigation into RE ads

11 posts in this topic

Consumer advocacy group CHOICE has launched a stinging attack on the real estate industry claiming real estate advertisers control editorial content ensuring property news is always presented in a positive light.

The assualt was aimed at various media outlets, including Fairfax - publishers of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age - and one prominent Adelaide-based agent was singled out for criticism.

“Through this investigation, CHOICE has found the distinction between advertising and editorial in the real estate press is largely absent,” the organisation claimed in its ‘real estate’s influence on newspapers’ investigation, published on October 19.

http://www.rebonline.com.au/breaking-news/4368-industry-slams-choice-advertising-bias-claims-

not surprisingly this hasn't got much msm coverage.

not surprisingly this hasn't got much msm coverage.

Enzo and Dr Ando are working feverishly to suppress it as we speak! ^_^

Enzo and Dr Ando are working feverishly to suppress it as we speak! ^_^

the absence of msm articles proves the investigation correct. media report everything choice does; except this one.

perhaps some keen young journo might slip something past the editor, i doubt it.

This was the case long before the major papers lost their rivers of gold to online - I have a personal experience with Hocking Stuart threatening to pull all of the coming weekend's display ads from The Age in response to a negative article. Newspapers have always had an incredible conflict of interest in this space...

This was the case long before the major papers lost their rivers of gold to online - I have a personal experience with Hocking Stuart threatening to pull all of the coming weekend's display ads from The Age in response to a negative article. Newspapers have always had an incredible conflict of interest in this space...

Negative article on Hocking Stuart or on real estate generally?

Domain is the worst section for it in the SMH, the BusinessDay section isn't so bad for negative (sorry, "secular soft" and "controlled correction") housing news.

Good news appears swiftly on the front page in the Domain section, bad news doesn't make it past BusinessDay, or appears burried in their Domain News, not fit for the front page.

However, the crazy article from Dr Ando about how great Sydney apartments are because they have fallen the least occupies the prime real estate, so to speak. I await with baited breath the balancing article from Dr Ando about where the greatest falls have been, but I will continue to breathe, just in case, you know, it never appears.

Looks like some of the comments have been moderated.

Check out comment 1 from The President of the Real Estate Institute

post-589-066437700 1320139167_thumb.png

"CHOICE should stick to testing appliances and grocery brands. They have moved way outside their terms of reference as a consumer advocate and become almost left wing in their critiques into other areas"

Negative article on Hocking Stuart or on real estate generally?

It was industry practices in general, not specifically negative on property or anything like that.

I'm sure its no surprise that these guys are all about image and easily take offence, hate criticism and readily take it personally - the type who likes to throw their weight around - i'm sure many of the jerks you went to high school with ended up as a real estate agent at one time or another :drool:

Looks like some of the comments have been moderated.

Check out comment 1 from The President of the Real Estate Institute

post-589-066437700 1320139167_thumb.png

"CHOICE should stick to testing appliances and grocery brands. They have moved way outside their terms of reference as a consumer advocate and become almost left wing in their critiques into other areas"

Last time I checked their mission statement was:

The People’s Watchdog Independent and transparent, CHOICE was founded in 1960 with one clear mission: to ensure the consumer voice is heard loudly and clearly. CHOICE empowers consumers to get the most out of all their purchasing decisions by providing a mix of advocacy and advice - except real estate.

I think he's right.

I'd think any business that gets strongly criticised by a consumer advocacy group would want them to mind their own business!

IMO the real estate "industry" has been forgiven inherent weaknesses by the abnormal returns of the past years. Easy to overlook poor value when everybody is winning.

IMO, the RE industry gets away with murder. There is no clear reporting of the sales data and that which is available has been largely restricted from free public access. It is the direct opposite to what is offered by the share market. The vested interests must have the governments in their pockets to get away with it for so long.