Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ummester

Gen Y bashing

17 posts in this topic

Seems to me like there are so many articles in the news lately about everything Gen Y is doing wrong. I'm X, so I don't think my opinion is vested.

I keep reading about how they are leaching of their folks, want to much in the workplace, spend too much on electronic entertainment and so on and so on.

In response to these things, BTW, I'd argue it's because their folks charge too much for rent, workplaces have been soft since they enterred and electronic entertainment has been shoved down their throats as a commodity.

Anyone else notice an increase in gen Y bashing, or is it just me?

It would help if they weren't all metrosexual poofs who like nothing better than to discuss the latest episode of Home and Away over a latte while shopping online for hair-care products on their i-Phones.

And they then arrive at a BBQ with their fruity little alcopops. When I was their age, I used to do one-arm pull-ups at a BBQ while holding a beer in the other hand and turning the snags with my toes (tongs are for Gen Y poofs).

Alternatively the criticism could be unjustified and humans have probably been bitching about the younger generation for thousands of years, I can't decide which it is...

It would help if they weren't all metrosexual poofs who like nothing better than to discuss the latest episode of Home and Away over a latte while shopping online for hair-care products on their i-Phones.

And they then arrive at a BBQ with their fruity little alcopops. When I was their age, I used to do one-arm pull-ups at a BBQ while holding a beer in the other hand and turning the snags with my toes (tongs are for Gen Y poofs).

Alternatively the criticism could be unjustified and humans have probably been bitching about the younger generation for thousands of years, I can't decide which it is...

:)

For sure I have noted the increase in Gen-Y bashing in the media.

I don't know what the aim of it is. Could be that TPTB (Boomers) are worried that the generation that is supposed to look after them / pay for their comfy retirement, maybe they are worried that Gen-Y isn't going to play their game? Maybe it's a pre-emptive attack before Gen-Y starts getting nasty about generational inequities (real or perceived)?

They're not playing there part in perpetuating rising property prices. Shame.

I was thinking they were a bit work shy TBH. They're young bless em. Brains like putty. Know everything and know nothing. Just like I was. :)

:D

Funny and true but I can't help feeling they are metro poofs with iPhone addiction because that is the world that has been presented to them.

I recon, within the next 5 - 10 years, X will move into mangement for most industry and the only workers we'll have are sulky techno emos that blame everyone else for their disposition because that's what their parents taught em'. Yea, Y needs to man up but its going to be up to X to show them how.

Anyways, just thought I'd bring it up because I have seen so many 'what Y is doing wrong' stories a lot lately. It could be because they rather buy iPhone apps than houses and boomer news editors are pissed. But if they stop spending on techno gagets, the ass of the economy will fall out there rather than house prices, so it doesn't really matter.

i suspect it is the age-old and entirely justified hatred that the old feel toward young people who are still relatively fit, relatively healthy and can sleep around without losing half their assets.

the young don't care about the hatred of the old. they know that the oldies are gonna die first.

I may have mentioned my current Gen Y protege in another thread. My pet graduate. It was his last day today. We took him to lunch. He bought me a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old by way of a thank you for my mentorship. :blush: They're not so bad really are they? :)

Edit: I was genuinely shocked. I think he wants back in to the team upon graduate program completion though - the sneaky bastard. Before you scream "you can't accept gratuities you clown" it turns out I can if it is not from someone outside the APS. It's now a team donation. Even so you have to admire the enterprise of the lad. He'll do well.

Edited by staringclown

hey if i was gen y, id get the f*ck out of AUS and go buy a macmansion in USA somewhere, and save the other $300k for fun and games.

Edit: I was genuinely shocked. I think he wants back in to the team upon graduate program completion though - the sneaky bastard. Before you scream "you can't accept gratuities you clown" it turns out I can if it is not from someone outside the APS. It's now a team donation. Even so you have to admire the enterprise of the lad. He'll do well.

That's not technically true - but my team buys me beer all the time because they want me to like them and I drink it:) And I have Jones's, Xs amd Ys to contend with - not that I like any of them:)

That's not technically true - but my team buys me beer all the time because they want me to like them and I drink it:) And I have Jones's, Xs amd Ys to contend with - not that I like any of them:)

It's not that I dislike people - it's just that I prefer when they're not around :)

Actually i meant to say inside the public service. But I doubt that is even acceptable now I think of it. I'm going to share it with the team and spread the guilt.

99.9% of my troubles in life have to do with other people.

The other 0.1% is myself.

So I guess this is just a human thing.

I'm at the declining end of the baby boom.

As I was growing up, I remember my grandparents claiming that the younger generation were ruining the world, with their decadent, flower power attitudes, and permissive lifestyles. Their long hair and cigarettes. Their abuse of alcohol and their disregard for material possessions. How funny that sounds nowadays.

Personally, I think its just that as you get old, you don't want the young people to make the same mistakes we did.

Its a kind of protection mentality that creeps in, and so inadvertently you start lecturing on rights and wrongs.

But ironically that comes across as patronising, rather than empathy.

In truth, inside this old body is the mind of a 15 yr old struggling to come to terms with what happened to the last 30 - 40 yrs. Where did the life go?

And I think we want to recapture that lost innocence in the next generations, only to find that instead of bringing them closer, we push them further away.

Mysteriously, I think it has been more accentuated by a move away from an agragrian lifestyle and into the industrial and urban environment. But that's only a theory.

To be honest, I don't know whether we will ever solve the generational gap.

I try to love people as best I know how, but somehow the rules keep changing, and the expectations of what constitutes tolerance shifts with every year. Before you know it a decade, sees you in a totally different place.

Sorry Gen Y!

I've been so busy living my life according to the guidelines I was given, that I fail to fully appreciate and understand your experience of the world, as you have received it.

I'll keep trying to do better.

It's not that I dislike people - it's just that I prefer when they're not around :)

Actually i meant to say inside the public service. But I doubt that is even acceptable now I think of it. I'm going to share it with the team and spread the guilt.

Yea, share your guilt thats the PS way:)

And I guess I do like people but with work it is hard. I find the people in the team who I like are the worst workers and the good workers aren't the kind of people I like - so I have to occupy a position of distance from them all to keep the team running.

99.9% of my troubles in life have to do with other people.

The other 0.1% is myself.

So I guess this is just a human thing.

I'm at the declining end of the baby boom.

As I was growing up, I remember my grandparents claiming that the younger generation were ruining the world, with their decadent, flower power attitudes, and permissive lifestyles. Their long hair and cigarettes. Their abuse of alcohol and their disregard for material possessions. How funny that sounds nowadays.

Personally, I think its just that as you get old, you don't want the young people to make the same mistakes we did.

Its a kind of protection mentality that creeps in, and so inadvertently you start lecturing on rights and wrongs.

But ironically that comes across as patronising, rather than empathy.

In truth, inside this old body is the mind of a 15 yr old struggling to come to terms with what happened to the last 30 - 40 yrs. Where did the life go?

And I think we want to recapture that lost innocence in the next generations, only to find that instead of bringing them closer, we push them further away.

Mysteriously, I think it has been more accentuated by a move away from an agragrian lifestyle and into the industrial and urban environment. But that's only a theory.

To be honest, I don't know whether we will ever solve the generational gap.

I try to love people as best I know how, but somehow the rules keep changing, and the expectations of what constitutes tolerance shifts with every year. Before you know it a decade, sees you in a totally different place.

Sorry Gen Y!

I've been so busy living my life according to the guidelines I was given, that I fail to fully appreciate and understand your experience of the world, as you have received it.

I'll keep trying to do better.

Insightful as always Sol. Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfq1uMnQo38

I wonder what the reaction would be to articles such as this if you replaced "Gen Y" with "jew" or "nigger" or "nip"... :unsure:

Politically correct scapegoating is so lame. There are some who always want to pin the ills of society on a select few.

I had the misfortune to be listening to talk back radio today. Apparently to much money is being given to Generation Y in the form of baby bonuses, subsidies for students and housing grants and not enough for pensioners who have to go back to work. I tried hard not to laugh at the example of the 92 year old builder wheelchair.gif

I did try to call in to go to bat for my brother and sister Gen-Y but their lines were clogged with Grandpa Simpson "I'm old. Gimme gimme gimme" types.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are interesting times ahead regarding Generational inequalities (perceived or real). Batten down the hatches, grab your gold and make sure you have a can opener for your food stockpile.

EDIT TO ADD

One solution mooted was to allow a huge influx of young refugees and migrants to which I (almost) yelled "What happens when they retire? Huh? That's the problem. Everyone wants to kick the can down the road and no-one wants to go to the trouble of bending over and picking that can up and putting it in the recycle bin"

Additionally - Less workers ≠ Less productivity. Why at the factory I slave away in there are three superfluous workers in my area alone (out of 8 workers) who do very little and somehow get away with it.

Edited by Easy Tiger