urchin

how long will julia remain

253 posts in this topic

You waste thoughts on Labour? I can't wait to see how the Liberals are not going to fix anything.

Syd it's Labor minus the 'u' when referring to the party. Yes this is a little bit pedantic. But it's exactly the sort of thing we in the public service use as criteria for evaluation of correspondence. The Labour/Labor thing separates the men from the boys bin wise.

You've given up. This is a choice. My challenge to all who decry the current political situation is to join. Stop being a passenger. East Germany offered few alternatives on the activism front. Here the opportunities abound. Take advantage.

Syd it's Labor minus the 'u' when referring to the party. Yes this is a little bit pedantic. But it's exactly the sort of thing we in the public service use as criteria for evaluation of correspondence. The Labour/Labor thing separates the men from the boys bin wise.

For those too lazy to Google, how did an English colony end up with the American spelling of "Labor" for a political party?

1 person likes this

I'm more expecting a resurgent Kevin post loss next election to pick up the pieces.

...and he should wait. Wait for Abbott and Robb to make a complete horses @rse of dealing with the Service Economy meltdown following the housing catastrophe gathering pace and the feedback loop. I'm talking years looking at the USA, Ireland and Spain.

:smoke:

You've given up. This is a choice.

I haven't given up. I realise humans only change when there is no other option left. We are not at that point yet. The next time the RBA raises the interest rate we know the savers have the backing of the central bank and are the group of people in direction of policy management for the next few decades.

For those too lazy to Google, how did an English colony end up with the American spelling of "Labor" for a political party?

The union movement was quite big in the states at the time, I am guessing it will be related to that.

I haven't given up. I realise humans only change when there is no other option left. We are not at that point yet.

Fair enough. I'd have to agree on the change thing. Humans don't like change.

The next time the RBA raises the interest rate we know the savers have the backing of the central bank and are the group of people in direction of policy management for the next few decades.

Hehe. Funny.

. I did buy two Kevin07 t-shirts cos I enjoy political memorabilia and I figured "it's time" t-shirts circa 1972 would now be worth a mint. Pure speculative investment of course...

KRudd ain't done yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there were another challenge pre election. I'm more expecting a resurgent Kevin post loss next election to pick up the pieces.

I had a Kevin 07 tshirt too, and I find it a little ironic that it was poor quality - colours ran, stretched out of shape and ended up in the rag-bag before too long.

I had a Kevin 07 tshirt too, and I find it a little ironic that it was poor quality - colours ran, stretched out of shape and ended up in the rag-bag before too long.

I knew that's where Kevin went wrong.

Poor quality t-shirts.

maybe next time, they will be better quality and last a little while longer.

Was it your wife that threw it out?

Poor quality t-shirts.

Nope, but I used to BE one, and it's a crap job. I'd rather be a domestic slave. Oh hang on...

Poor quality t-shirts.

Nope, but I used to BE one, and it's a crap job. I'd rather be a domestic slave. Oh hang on...

Irony indeed! :thumbsup:

Mine have only been worn once. I should get Kev to sign them and put them in a frame. I bought some Kevin07 wine as well. It was absolute sh*te!

don't think will make a great deal of difference.

i don't suppose it will either, but i don't think it will help labor to distance itself from toxic thompson. simply making him independent doesn't change a thing in public perception, and the opposition will simply continue to hammer on it/him.

I wonder how Craig Thompson quitting the ALP will change things?

A slight rise in the chances of a no confidence vote given Tony Windsors comment about always having an early election.

Labor must be expecting the Fair work report to contain some very bad news.

Independent MP Tony Windsor says he is not surprised by the developments, given the circumstances within the Labor party.

And he says there is no new ground for action against the Government in the Parliament.

"I'm not going to initiate some motion of no confidence against the Government in a duly-elected Parliament just because the numbers are tight and someone suddenly becomes an independent or there's an inquiry into someone's Cabcharge arrangements," he said.

But he says because the numbers are "precarious", there is always the chance of an early election.

"There's a lot of focus on these Craig Thomson, Peter Slipper things... there may be an early election," he said.

"I've been prepared for an early election since day one."

i assume that this will mean that the opposition is under no obligation to pair thompson's votes if he comes down with a tummyache again, though, no? one doesn't pair independent votes does one?

CLIVE Palmer has announced he will seek pre-selection for the LNP in Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan's seat of Lilley. The billionaire mining magnate made the announcement at a press conference minutes after another press conference where he said he was entering the cruise ship business by building the Titanic II.

"I intend to put to the test to the people of this country my views against the treasurer in his home seat of Lilley," Mr Palmer told reporters in Brisbane.

"He has been the sitting member for far too long. It's about time we get this country moving again."

Mr Swan has held Lilley since 1998. He holds the northern Brisbane seat with a slim margin of 3.18 per cent.

In Canberra, Mr Swan said Mr Palmer’s announcement showed the Liberal party in Queensland was simply a “wholly owned subsidiary of Mr Palmer” interested in furthering the interests of a wealthy few.

“I believe we live in a community not a corporation and this government believes that the tremendous opportunities of the Asian century and the mining boom should be shared between all Australians,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/clive-palmer-to-enter-federal-politics/story-e6freoof-1226342379944

the man's a fruit loop!

the man's a fruit loop!

Yep, but insane billionaire is still billionaire, or is this going to be a case of a fool and his billions are soon parted?

the man's a fruit loop!

Only in America Queensland.

It also poses a very nasty decision for the LNP.

Edited by Mr Medved

He's turning into Howard Hughes with that titanic venture. With any luck he'll emulate Hughes further and become a recluse.

i assume that this will mean that the opposition is under no obligation to pair thompson's votes if he comes down with a tummyache again, though, no? one doesn't pair independent votes does one?

He won't have the benefit of the whip chasing him up for divisions either.

A friend sent this to me in an email.

Can anyone verify whether this is accurate or even close to the truth?

My friend is a pensioner, who has worked hard all his life, and has always trumpeted to me, the waste that our modern society indulges in.

I'm prepared to give Peter the benefit, that he's no different to any other politician/human being, but this certainly boggles the mind when you read it. Is this excessive or normal, I really don't know.

Peter Slipper may well be entitled to the presumption of innocence. But it's a miracle he got the Speaker's job in the first place, given the rows surrounding his expenses. But of course we all know why that happened.

Whether he's rorted the system or not, Slippery Pete sure knows how to spend our money, racking up more than $1.8 million since 2007 in travel and office expenses, which we have been asked to reimburse.

In 2009 and again in 2010, Slipper claimed more than $700,000 in expenses a year, at the rate of almost $2,000 a day. Yes, that's $2,000 a day.

This included regular $300 taxi trips from Brisbane Airport to his home on the Sunshine Coast, a $15,800 study trip to Argentina and annual vehicle expenses of more than $40,000.

In just two months in 2011, Slipper racked up $4595.40 in overseas calls from his mobile phone. Hasn't the man ever heard of Skype?

Locals in his constituency of Fisher became so outraged by his spending sprees that almost 3000 of them signed a petition last year demanding a full audit of his expenses over the last 10 years.

The Finance Department in Canberra then audited his 2009 claims but not did not publish its findings. However, it did call in the Australian Federal Police who began investigating allegations of misuse of his fuel card ¬possibly by staff ¬before Slipper was given the Speaker's job.

So just what has he been getting in his current position? Sit down before you read this. It may make you feel faint.

As Speaker of the House, Peter Slipper is paid a salary of more than $275,000 a year. That's nearly twice what an ordinary MP receives.

He also gets free business-class air travel anywhere in Australia and overseas, provided he is on parliamentary, electorate or official business.

He is paid $253 a night for staying in Canberra, and up to $371 a night for staying in other Australian cities.

He also gets free car travel anywhere in Australia. This includes a COMCAR plus driver in Canberra, taxis, self-drive hire cars and a private car for personal and family use (for which he has to contribute $711 a year), plus a fuel card to pay for petrol.

And what will he get if he goes?

If Peter Slipper resigns as an MP or is voted out at the next election he will get almost $114,000 a year (inflation proofed) for the rest of his life. That includes an extra $3800 in pension he has racked up for his five months in the Speaker's job.

A friend sent this to me in an email.

Can anyone verify whether this is accurate or even close to the truth?

My friend is a pensioner, who has worked hard all his life, and has always trumpeted to me, the waste that our modern society indulges in.

I'm prepared to give Peter the benefit, that he's no different to any other politician/human being, but this certainly boggles the mind when you read it. Is this excessive or normal, I really don't know.

I can tell you this sol.

The average senior public servant makes around $180K. I'm talking senior executive level. An assistant commissioner level for example. The ranks go progressively higher and some heads of department get 700K+.

These are important positions. They require people of integrity to fill them. Equivalent private enterprise positions pay far more in comparison to similar sized organisations and budget.

The email states that Slipper receives nearly twice what an average back bencher receives. So Let's say they receive 150K. (There will be allowances that push their wages to perhaps 200K on top) What should we pay them?

Slipper has only received 275K since last October?

Harry Jenkins received the wage for four years without complaint from either side.

Are the quoted figures for Slipper including his staff? I'm not defending Slipper. Even during the Howard days his excessive tendencies were well known. His claims do seem excessive.

The figures for travel allowance seem about right. I personally get about $200 per day in Sydney for accommodation and food if I stay a full day and sleep over. Less in other cities. Sydney is expensive. I've claimed similar rates back when working in private enterprise.

I have had a cab charge card and would regularly claim $70 fares to and from airports to work. I have had to travel for work often. I alone would have claimed $10K+ during one particular year when required to travel 11 times.

Just missed out on qualifying for qantas club membership. <_< It's funny that people with families didn't want to travel so I (with no kids) went in their place. It is a sacrifice being away from home regardless. I'm convinced Ms clown and the cat must have missed me in some small way.

I work for low six figures comparable but less than the going commercial rate for someone with the same skills in private enterprise. The pay off for me in in a good super deal with defined benefits. That is gone for new entrants for the past 8 years. I don't get overtime. Job security is better than private as well.

I have to live in Canberra though (which is I am constantly informed the most expensive place to live in the country) away from friends and family. I'm not compensated for the increased travel cost of visiting these. Or I don't visit which is cheaper.

I worked crap jobs for 20 years saved and spent all my money on HECS fees (50K) to arrive here as a graduate in 2003 after numerous moves intra city (following the work).

This is not a whinge. I think I'm quite lucky. Merely an illustration of my own path.

I'll leave you (and others) to make their own judgment as to whether fat cat status is warranted.

The average senior public servant makes around $180K. I'm talking senior executive level. An assistant commissioner level for example. The ranks go progressively higher and some heads of department get 700K+.

These are important positions. They require people of integrity to fill them. Equivalent private enterprise positions pay far more in comparison to similar sized organisations and budget.

Paying people $700K doesn't instil them with integrity.

Paying people $700K doesn't instil them with integrity.

This is true but it does help them to avoid the same scandals as politicians on far less wages. This is evidenced by the lack of scandal involving the most senior levels of the APS as opposed to elected politicians. Then again maybe they're just more clever at avoiding scandal? And then I think of Godwin Grech. TBH the ones I've met are generally pretty straight.