urchin

how long will julia remain

253 posts in this topic

i just watched julia putting forward the carbon tax,

umm.. we apologise..umm. sorry..umm

when are we going to get a pm with balls...

we will decide..

no Australian child shall live..

etc

Reminds me of something Joan Kirner, first (and only) female Premier of Victoria, allegedly said in a Cabinet meeting one day. Sick of her male colleagues saying things like "this idea has balls!" she instituted a new saying - when something really good or 'ballsy' came along, she'd say "this idea has breasts!"

I am woman hear me roar :-)

Re; Julia, I'm very disappointed. I do feel she's between a rock and a hard place in many respects but, call me a romantic, I'd rather see a leader go down valiantly defending and unpopular decision made on 'moral' grounds, than continually run the gauntlet between capitulating to coalition partners, independence, and a largely ignorant public.

If anyone's a fan of political satire, this guy - Ben Pobjie - is rather good. His take-home Christmas message "Everyone is Stupid" hit the nail on the head quite nicely I think.

Does anyone think there was something legitimate in what Lindsay Tanner said in his book, the title of which I can't remember, about politicians basically all being screwed because the daily contact with the media means we're in too much daily contact and "informed" about every little going on, leaving the pollies with little time to make real policy?

Edited by GenGen

Re; Julia, I'm very disappointed. I do feel she's between a rock and a hard place in many respects but, call me a romantic, I'd rather see a leader go down valiantly defending and unpopular decision made on 'moral' grounds

Say what? Julia has had plenty of time to step up to the podium and say: "I will put forward a proposal to lift the Newstart allowance paid for by implementing progressive taxation for superannuation contributions."

Life isn't that hard. People are stupid.

Reminds me of something Joan Kirner, first (and only) female Premier of Victoria, allegedly said in a Cabinet meeting one day. Sick of her male colleagues saying things like "this idea has balls!" she instituted a new saying - when something really good or 'ballsy' came along, she'd say "this idea has breasts!"

I am woman hear me roar :-)

Re; Julia, I'm very disappointed. I do feel she's between a rock and a hard place in many respects but, call me a romantic, I'd rather see a leader go down valiantly defending and unpopular decision made on 'moral' grounds, than continually run the gauntlet between capitulating to coalition partners, independence, and a largely ignorant public.

If anyone's a fan of political satire, this guy - Ben Pobjie - is rather good. His take-home Christmas message "Everyone is Stupid" hit the nail on the head quite nicely I think.

Does anyone think there was something legitimate in what Lindsay Tanner said in his book, the title of which I can't remember, about politicians basically all being screwed because the daily contact with the media means we're in too much daily contact and "informed" about every little going on, leaving the pollies with little time to make real policy?

Tanner is partially correct. Politicians have a choice. They don't have to kowtow to the media with daily sound bites. Politicians used to treat the media with contempt. Think Kennett shovelling dirt on to SBS reporters or Paul Keating delivering a withering response to a banal question. At least they gave you a laugh. Gillard and Abbott are about as funny as a fart at a funeral. Mundane, turgid and repetitious nonsense delivered with all of the communication skills of a cumquat.

I also would rather see some leadership rather than cheap political fixes. If you make a deal you don't welch on it. If you think it's a bad deal - don't make it in the first place.

It's not about the poker machine limits for me. I don't ever play them. They are programmed to pay less than is input so they're a mugs game. If you play regularly you will lose. The clubs campaign was completely disingenuous. It's about having the integrity to honour a deal if you make one. This particular deal allowed her to form a government.

I don't believe Labor can now go to the next election with Gillard as the leader. She's damaged goods and worse still - it's self inflicted. And if it helps Abbott into power she should be doubly condemned. <_<

I've boycotted the Australian of the year ceremony in protest cos she is presenting. Such is my outrage and general lethargy.

On Pobjies blog - I agree that everyone is stupid. I seldom post about things I know about. Mainly because most things I know about hold very little interest to other humans. For instance I find things like science and test cricket fascinating. I figure as long as you realise your own limitations and that of others it's not a problem. :)

Yes. Ballieu ministry in Victoria is a case in point. They've basically implemented their election promises but as they don't really toot their own horn like Brumby they are not polling as well as they should.

MSM needs content. If you don't feed them content then your opponents will... and you're eventually stuffed (generally speaking).

If they don't have any deals done then they may have cut Wilkie loose too soon.

Oh dear... She can't take a trick.

Gillard left red-faced after Abbott leak

A Prime Ministerial staffer has been linked to yesterday’s ugly protest incident in Canberra, forcing his resignation and acutely embarrassing PM Julia Gillard.

In an early evening statement, the Prime Minister dismissed as ‘false’ claims that one of her staff had spoken to people at the Aboriginal Tent Embassy prior to yesterday’s angry protest that temporarily trapped her and Opposition Leader Tony Abbott.

But Ms Gillard acknowledges that a member of her media unit ‘did call another individual yesterday and disclose the presence of the Opposition Leader at the Lobby restaurant. This information was subsequently passed on to a member of the Aboriginal Tent Embassy.’

The leak was probably more than just Abbott's location. I wonder how much more information (inciting racial violence?) was added to ensure a mob appeared.

Otherwise why was a resignation necessary?

They won't get a charge of incitement to stick. To difficult to work out what was actually said.

I think placing the police and protesters at risk as pawns in a grubby political point scoring exercise is probably reason enough for a resignation. Not to mention placing the PM and opposition leaders security at risk.

The most damage in this case IMHO is showing exactly what kind of psychopaths work for political parties.

They won't get a charge of incitement to stick. To difficult to work out what was actually said.

I think placing the police and protesters at risk as pawns in a grubby political point scoring exercise is probably reason enough for a resignation. Not to mention placing the PM and opposition leaders security at risk.

The most damage in this case IMHO is showing exactly what kind of psychopaths work for political parties.

I thought it was interesting how quickly the police stated that no arrests will be made in relation to this incident.

I thought it was interesting how quickly the police stated that no arrests will be made in relation to this incident.

Evidence for Julias complicity? Nah... Surely she can't have known... :shocking: She wouldn't have set herself up like that.

Stand by for an imminent announcement on government policy so we can all move on. 3, 2, 1...

Oh here it is. ;)

How I'll slay abbott

Meanwhile, Krudd is squatting in a darkened humid cave in Qld somewhere sharpening his knives...

Hey - maybe I am niave but I recon pollies know what;'s really going down - to some extent. And, as we all would somewhat agree, what is really going down is that the country is kinda economically disturbed - because of a housing ponzi. So, whatever Gillard does with her CT - or any descisions she makes form this point forward - are kind of lose, lose. Therefore, wether she reamins or the Danie Craig wanabee gets in, it's kind of a mute point. the country is going to tighten the screws and no-one in the current hierarcy has the attitude or knowledge to deliver it properly - they have been promoted because they are full of their own sh*t and that is not the way of the future.

They are both f*cked. Another hung election loooms:)

The greatest thing is the dis-empowerment of politics during this stage of human society. If you took snapshots of the news over the last five years it would be groundhog day. The future outcome is already determined. 80% of the population will have nothing but public welfare to look forward to. One can easily ignore it all and relax in anticipation of the coming change.

Edited by sydney3000

Like Keating, Rudd is going to get his ass handed to him. Then he'll brood on the back bench and await another opportunity to challenge.

Edit: Sounds like he's going direct to the back bench to start brooding. :laugh:

Edit 2: Out side chance he may resign and force a by-election. His name would live in infamy if he does this. The scourge of the Labor party forever. The only one less well regarded than Latham.

Rudd is a full-blown sociopath bordering on psychopath. His ego knows no bounds.

Edited by Mr Medved

Rudd is a full-blown sociopath bordering on psychopath. His ego knows no bounds.

Unlike almost every other leader I can think of :)

Takes an ego to get over the hurdles of rejection to that level I would guess.

If my assumption is correct I think I would rather see Rudd in power than Abbott. As people to meet casually I doubt they are very different. As for belief systems I think the Rudd one is more likely to support the community than the business.

didnt rudd just resign? even tho the party hated him. he always rated better in opinion polls. sounds like a real jerk but then i never met a leader who wasnt,

The book is Sideshow: Dumbing Down of Democracy . I enjoyed the read ; it provided some insight to the perverse relationships between politics, media and policy. ...complex policy is trumped by the 24-hr news cycle and individuals who are best able to exploit the short attention span of the public and of the media.

Today's "leaders" all strike me as incredibly poor choices. This may be because I am getting older (!) but part of Tanner's observation is simplified sound-bite "gotchya" media has created a feedback loop to elevate the pollies who can exploit an increasingly ignorant public with no patience to explore and learn about policy.

This pattern is evident in all western democracies: Celebrity politicians running on popularity instead of policy.

There is a reason the donkey vote is increasing. A growing group of voters recognise there are NO good choices.

Edited by Dose

John Clark, Bryan Dawes skit

Scene: A car yard. Bryan is perusing the stock. He is approached by John

John: Morning! Lookin’ for a car?

Bryan: Nope. New Prime Minister actually.

John: Your the third one this morning. Anything in mind?

Bryan: You know.... nothing fancy, reliable, economical family model. Something to get the country from A to B.

John: You mean like a Howard?

Bryan: Yeah... a little Johnny. Nothing flash, does the job. Low maintenance, economical, sensible. Runs for years. No troubles.

John : So ....You used to have one?

Bryan: Yeah. About 10 years. Great little model.. don't know why I got rid of him... biggest mistake I've ever made.

John: What happened?

Bryan: Traded him in on a Kevin 07.

John: Big mistake.

Bryan: Lot of people bought it. Good political mileage.

John: How was the Kevin 07?

Bryan: Came with a $900 factory rebate.. that was good.

John: Anything else?

Bryan: Not much. Sounded nice but nothing under the bonnet. It was a Lemon.

John: Didn't stick around long did it?

Bryan: Nah.. had a factory recall. Shipped overseas and never seen again.

John: What was the problem?

Bryan: Lots.. but the final straw was the navigation system. Plug it in and it automatically loses its way.

John: Whatcha got now.

Bryan: Its a Gillard-Brown.

John: The hybrid?

Bryan: Yeah. The eco drive system. Not a good idea. An engine that can’t deliver hooked up to a transmission stuck in permanent reverse.

John: Green paintwork with a red interior, and steering that always lurches to the left for no apparent reason - that's the one?

Bryan: The IMF Fustercluck model.

John: The only one they made, Bryan. Not the vehicle of choice for the road to recovery, but did they end up fixing the navigation system?

Bryan: Made it worse. Turn it on and it does a press release. Heads off in all directions and goes nowhere.

John: So that's why you're here?

Bryan: That's right. I'm stuck with a car that's Wasteful, Expensive, Ineffective and past its use by date. I don't suppose you've heard of the "cash for clunkers" scheme?

John: Join the queue brother.

why is krudd challenging if he clearly doesn't have the numbers?

he's not going to be happy to rot on the back bench.

will he then resign and take up some UN job?

why is krudd challenging if he clearly doesn't have the numbers?

Delusion. Or spite (kevenge). The guy is a nut case.

Delusion. Or spite (kevenge). The guy is a nut case.

If he is a sociopath (as you claimed earlier) I doubt he would do it without having a good indication that his plan will work. So delusion is unlikely I think.

Spite I can kind of see, wouldn't be a bad thing to start bringing politics into the days of open information. Sure it will trash his labour standing but given the greens and independants that might not actually be a bad career move nowadays if you wanted to be seen in a decade as an awesome guy.

After all that is when they make their real money; after they leave office.

Given a bit of spin I can easily see him being played as the guy that broke the back room deals and as he was prime minister and taken out by the backroom deals it makes him some kind of Charles Bronson of politics if he can destroy both parties effectively on that basis.

Would be hilarious.

Still waiting to see what Turnbull does. If he holds too long he'll be called a follower (if Rudd succeeds) or be stuck in nothing land forever (if Rudd doesn't). I was Turnbull I would be outside Abbotts window right now with some kind of laser guided predator of small birds aimed right in the crotchal regions.

Interesting that this all happened the week that both parties were bringing an equal marriage rights bill in. No coverage of that at all now. Guess the gay people either missed out completely or we will have equal rights next week but no one will care anymore.