staringclown

CBA Launches Property investment Game

17 posts in this topic

CBA LAUNCHES PROPERTY INVESTMENT GAME

Investorville, which combines real data with gameplay, was designed to educate potential investors about property investment and remove common misconceptions about the market, the bank said.

CBA general manager for consumer marketing Mark Murray explained that buying an investment property can seem daunting for many people, and that Investorville allowed users to “try before they buy”.

“The properties and data are reflective of the Australian property market and the types of properties available,” he added.

“Generally speaking, these ‘dinner party’ properties end up being massively negatively geared. Negative gearing to this extent is not a smart strategy and it’s the number one reason why so many Australians own only one investment property,” he added.

Lee believes affordability is the most important consideration when investing in property, because both tenants and buyers would be easy to find.

So I wonder how much initial stake is and what data they rely upon. I can't wait to get educated. :)

I wonder if they change the rules on capital gains and/or negative gearing during the game? ^_^

If they rented you the game but wouldn't play it would be more realistic.

I had a quick go. Actually no such thing as a quick go of this game. Especially when you remember to keep jacking up those rents. :)

Chose the Dink scenario. (ii's a pity you can't input the starting amounts but it makes comparison of results easier) 120K net worth and 120K combined income. 1800 per month investable income. It's more like monopoly with the "chance" cards you get dealt. That 50K inheritance was handy.

I just picked random houses or units in my price range. (Didn't matter they were always going up) Bought when I could and went IR only loans a couple of times for 5 years.

I'm now worth 1.4 million and have made 17% Pa net growth for 15 years.

That is the benchmark for the dink scenario (There are 4 others)

Full game:

First property 2 Bedroom house in Yarraville in Tarrengower st

Asking 427K paid 405K 106000 deposit IR @7%

Jan2013

3% pay rise

tax refund of $7489

but they're building a night club two streets away and we all know what yarraville pubs are like. 7% decline in house value but IR is only 5% - winner!

And my house has gone up by $60000!

Aug 2014

Tax refund of 12000 IR at 8%

New floors for the property required so -6% off the property value.

So I whacked up the rents and bought another unit in West richmond in Adelaide. Low balled 20K yet again.

Feb 2016

IR back to 7%

22512 tax refund

I got a 7% pay rise which was well deserved and a $50000 inheritance! Woohoo

Jack the rents some more

I'm now worth $594000 and have achieved growth of 13% per annum

Feb 2019

West Richmond is named the one to watch by a spruiker on the telly

Tax refund of $14000

Flipped the unit for a lazy $50K and before the IR only loan expired

IR @ 8%

Jacked up the rents

Bought another unit in Bayswater WA for 480K

Jacked up the rents

Aug 2020

Copped a whopping 15% pay rise

Ta refund of $30000

Work gave me an annual bonus of $21500

Feb 2022

Bought another i beddy unit in Springvale lowballed by 30K got for 360K

Jacked up the rents

Tax refund of $15500

Water damage to my Springvale property so -5% off the value

August 2023

New kitchen required for Tarrengower -7% off it's value

But there is finally a train station being built in Bayswater

Tax refund of 55K

Jack up the rents

Feb 2025

Work promotion and 20% payrise - long overdue

Tax refund of 17K

Time to flip that WA unit

Aug 2026

Sold up the lot and am now worth 1.4 million totally debt free. I've made 17% pa net growth.

I've bought a caravan and the wife and I are heading down that long lonely grey nomad march toward death.

Edited by staringclown

I wonder if they change the rules on capital gains and/or negative gearing during the game? ^_^

Looks like they are basing the CG on the past ten years data. NG calculations are on the current rules all the way out till the end. No global calamities. I'm fully employed.

I had a quick go. Actually no such thing as a quick go of this game. Especially when you remember to keep jacking up those rents. :)

Chose the Dink scenario. (ii's a pity you can't input the starting amounts but it makes comparison of results easier) 120K net worth and 120K combined income. 1800 per month investable income. It's more like monopoly with the "chance" cards you get dealt. That 50K inheritance was handy.

I just picked random houses or units in my price range. (Didn't matter they were always going up) Bought when I could and went IR only loans a couple of times for 5 years.

I'm now worth 1.4 million and have made 17% Pa net growth for 15 years.

That is the benchmark for the dink scenario (There are 4 others)

Full game:

well done. i couldn't even find the game on their webstie. it seems i would make a hopeless LL.

well done. i couldn't even find the game on their webstie. it seems i would make a hopeless LL.

Sorry zaph I should have posted a link. palookaville

I thought initially when I tried the rookie scenario ($50k combined income) that I was locked out forever as the "buy property" button wouldn't display. Turns out it was only a safari browser issue.

Sorry zaph I should have posted a link. palookaville

I thought initially when I tried the rookie scenario ($50k combined income) that I was locked out forever as the "buy property" button wouldn't display. Turns out it was only a safari browser issue.

ta. but first question = contact details i know the whole things is a marketing scam. goodnight cba.

ta. but first question = contact details i know the whole things is a marketing scam. goodnight cba.

ok i put some dodgy contact details in and it let me proceed without verification. as a 'high income' solo earning 96k and having owned my ppor for 'some years' i've managed to build up a massive 76k in 'equity' then it leads me to houses for sale. total bs.

ok i put some dodgy contact details in and it let me proceed without verification. as a 'high income' solo earning 96k and having owned my ppor for 'some years' i've managed to build up a massive 76k in 'equity' then it leads me to houses for sale. total bs.

Well OK it's bullsh*t. The assumptions they make are breathtaking. But you're missing the point. It's something that can be played and won. You could be the inaugural S&S specufestor of the year. Let's play. Besides I have a few theories I'd like to test.

#1 Does the property you buy matter that much. (They were colour coded and I didn't read the manual on that rule) There are different paths to be taken in the game and I would like to know what the best score is. Like pinball. There's different yields on different properties also. I want to try out the compleat flipper strategy.

Edit: In particular I'm keen to know if it's even possible to lose.

Edited by staringclown

I'd hazard a guess that it is not possible to lose except by neglecting to purchase some CBA product or service.

I'd hazard a guess that it is not possible to lose except by neglecting to purchase some CBA product or service.

Funny you should say that. The end game is a link to the CBA to "make it real" :smoke:

If it is true I hope somebody uses it to sue them for 'misrepresentation leading to loss of investment capital'.

I was like zaph - saw it ask for all my details and baulked. Might have another go with fake details later, though.

BTW, CBA aren't the only ones who have done this.

http://www.c21propertymogul.com.au/

The Century 21 guy and Margaret Lomas spruiked it on Your Money, Your Call. If you are wondering why I was watching that rubbish, I thought it'd be a bit of fun watching them turn a bit bearish. I was way wrong - they are still as bullish as ever, only they are more specific in their areas. They never once mentioned falling house prices, either - but still rabbited on about it primarily being capital growth: to them yield is just about minimising your holding costs.

I also managed to catch Switzer's spittle flecked rant against the RBA at the end of his show - simply because it is possible IRs could go up. Always bemused by uber bulls who want lower rates!

Had a go at work at the CBA game, ended up about $5.4M up in the DINK scenario. Became easy once I realised how to do it - so easy I decided to try again. Sadly, my second attempt crashed after a few turns (which was a good thing, as I seriously had some work to do!), but I was millions up after just about 5 or 6 turns.

Bloody easy - it's the same scripted scenario and it's easy to game. First few turns buy slum lord 1 bedder apartments, lock in 5 years at 6% fixed in the second turn for as many as possible and jack those rents. Then the flipping fun starts in the third turn. The serious money is made flipping houses - no CGT tax or agents fees at all, so find a house (in the 400k - 700k range) which could do with renovation, put it above market rents, do a turn, then renovate and flip. Rinse, repeat, with as many houses per turn as you can manage.

Had a go at work at the CBA game, ended up about $5.4M up in the DINK scenario. Became easy once I realised how to do it - so easy I decided to try again. Sadly, my second attempt crashed after a few turns (which was a good thing, as I seriously had some work to do!), but I was millions up after just about 5 or 6 turns.

Bloody easy - it's the same scripted scenario and it's easy to game. First few turns buy slum lord 1 bedder apartments, lock in 5 years at 6% fixed in the second turn for as many as possible and jack those rents. Then the flipping fun starts in the third turn. The serious money is made flipping houses - no CGT tax or agents fees at all, so find a house (in the 400k - 700k range) which could do with renovation, put it above market rents, do a turn, then renovate and flip. Rinse, repeat, with as many houses per turn as you can manage.

5.4 Million on DINKS. Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner. :)

Edit : wrong song

Edited by staringclown