Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ironfrankie

New Zealand property market

10 posts in this topic

Have a number of properties in NZ and would like to use eqity value to buy some properties here in Australia.

Any suggestions and advice.Thank you.

Cheers IF

Have a number of properties in NZ and would like to use eqity value to buy some properties here in Australia.

Any suggestions and advice.Thank you.

Cheers IF

A friend of mine has been doing the opposite as NZ has already suffered a bit, especially unit prices so many are positive cashflow even with low amounts of his own capital in the transactions. HE is using his equity in Australia to buy NZ property as he thinks it has better value.

Of the two markets NZ is further into a rut so I would think even though it has underperformed over the last 3 years it is probably the better value on a yield basis at least.

It is hard to know with any certainty though of course because our government appears far more committed to our property market than yours is in NZ...

I pretty well agree with sol, don't do it or at least just buy the one you are going to live in. We also have pretty savage land tax in most places if you buy a few propertiues with land and if there is any positives about the Australian property market it is negative gearing and the 50% tax break on capital gains combination. If you are buying with your own capital you will pay stamp duty and get taxed on what little rent you make. Almost certainly there are better places to put your money than Australian houses at this time IMO.

Major NZ banks = Owned by big 4 Australian banks. If you have a mortgage with one of these, approach them and see if they can advance you a loan secured by your NZ property.

If you have a bunch of equity (but not quite 100%), perhaps you can just redraw on your existing mortgage?

If you can't get a loan against existing security it might have to be real money down...

May I ask why you would want to buy overpriced Australian property?

Just to have the place to live in and to bring my family over.

Thank you guys for answers.

Any book or course to learn basic tax rules,anything about entities (companies,GST registerd,trusts and so on):huh:

Cheers ,

IF

Just to have the place to live in and to bring my family over.

Thank you guys for answers.

Any book or course to learn basic tax rules,anything about entities (companies,GST registerd,trusts and so on):huh:

Cheers ,

IF

Probably best to first speak to someone knowledgeable (accounting or legal professional) to at least gain an understanding of the tax/regulatory framework. If you want to DIY you can buy a book called the Master Tax Guide. About $100 new, or you can get a used one from the last 2 or 3 years - things haven't changed so much.

Probably best to first speak to someone knowledgeable (accounting or legal professional) to at least gain an understanding of the tax/regulatory framework. If you want to DIY you can buy a book called the Master Tax Guide. About $100 new, or you can get a used one from the last 2 or 3 years - things haven't changed so much.

Thank you.

Regards ,

IF

New Zealand for sale. Consists of rolling hills, average quality of land, and abundant water supply. A third is suitable for grazing purposes (great for sheep). Price low.

Advertised in the Sydney Morning Herald on the 16th of February 1889, Page 14, Column 5 (6th last ad in column)

http://trove.nla.gov...ore*%7C*ignore*

18890216-P14C5-NewZealand.jpg

Yep, I reckon that Australian property prices are much more overpriced.

I was going to think the opposite and use my Aussie dollars to invest in NZ properties. Anyone know of any good websites/resources to check out NZ properties online?