rqmedes

Saving Electricity

12 posts in this topic

I just switched to gas on my cook top. Cost me an arm and a leg to remove the electrical thing and refit etc.

Not even town gas - two 9kg cylinders switchover when the other is empty.

We're looking at moving to a house with gas and also looking to build with a gas cooktop and heating system - our electricity bills have always been ridiculous and anything has to be cheaper. Heating is the killer out here. Your only real options are bar heaters, reverse cycle aircon (which is ok here as it doesn't get much below 5 but at my old house it was usually below zero before midday), wood fires and gas fires.

I am SO going solar again when we build. I'm not going to have very many eco-sustainable whatnots in the new build just because of a fairly tight budget, but I can squeeze a few in. The block is long and narrow, facing north on the narrowest edge. The way modern house designs work, we're going to have a very nice north-facing master bedroom and a west facing kitchen. Why is it so socially unacceptable to have the kitchen at the front of the house facing the street?

...Why is it so socially unacceptable to have the kitchen at the front of the house facing the street?

Because of when you wave knives at the little sh*ts from down the road and say you need fresh meat for the pot.

Because of when you wave knives at the little sh*ts from down the road and say you need fresh meat for the pot.

My street is populated almost exclusively by old coots in little cottages (we're the only ones with kids under 40). I think they'd be a bit tough.

My street is populated almost exclusively by old coots in little cottages (we're the only ones with kids under 40). I think they'd be a bit tough.

Braising would be the answer there. Choice of herbs would have to be done on a case by case basis. I am thinking most of the floral perfume old ladies would maybe go with rosemary, the snarky ones go maybe lemon and moroccan spices and those crusty old guys with mushrooms and cheap wine.

We installed a roof ventilator expecting to save electricity this summer. The idea was good, the problem is that summer still has not come here in Sydney.

We have our roof insulated, but was just looking for ways to further cut down the heating and cooling in the house. We are generally pedantic about not using heating and cooling, but we are reasonable on the extreme days. Hopefully we will get Summer soon, and I can see if the investment in the roof ventilator was worth it.

In regards to eating people in our street. Not that desperate yet, I only eat their dogs :)

We installed a roof ventilator expecting to save electricity this summer. The idea was good, the problem is that summer still has not come here in Sydney.

We have our roof insulated, but was just looking for ways to further cut down the heating and cooling in the house. We are generally pedantic about not using heating and cooling, but we are reasonable on the extreme days. Hopefully we will get Summer soon, and I can see if the investment in the roof ventilator was worth it.

I'll swap you.

You can have the past two days of over 40 degrees (here in Adelaide it is definitely summer), and I'll take the roof ventilator, because I could really use a couple right now.

Actually, we use evaporative cooling which is particularly effective in hot dry climates like Adelaide. Relatively cheap on electricity, but it does use some water which is in itself on the costly side these days, due to the new desal plant.

... The block is long and narrow, facing north on the narrowest edge. The way modern house designs work, we're going to have a very nice north-facing master bedroom and a west facing kitchen. Why is it so socially unacceptable to have the kitchen at the front of the house facing the street?

Why is it so socially unacceptable to design a house to actually suit a site?

That said North front facing blocks are always a challenge...

I got two industrial ones last year. Can't remember the brand but they are the ones you see on warehouses. The cubic throughput is something like the entire volume of the house every 3 minutes.

I have a big roof (30mx20m) which is cathedral style so insulation is pretty weak and a massive internal space so it gets super hot and keeps the heat, I found that having them on before it gets warm solves the problem on all but the hottest days (and I am not a heat tolerant species). The year before I actually went to the movies a few times just to get out of the heat and brightness.

When I did the pricing and everything it turned out 2 industrial types had way more throughput than 3 domestic ones and cost about the same. I usually prefer industrial stuff as the life cycles are much better.

I would recommend having them on constantly (I think I set the thermo cutout at 20 or so) and just have an extra sheet in the bedroom if you need it.

We have a little old stone walled cottage of 17 squares fitted with a Breezair EXH170 evaporative unit with a maximum power consumption of 750W. It cost $3,500 installed and is whisper quiet, actually it's completely silent with the exception of the noise of the air coming out of the vents at fan speeds greater than 4/10.

During extended hot spells we leave it running all day on it's lowest fan speed (1/10) and as yet I can't see any noticeable increase in our daily power consumption. We've just had three days of 36-38deg. weather and the living area has not exceeded 22.6deg. on the Max/Min thermometer. This morning I pulled up the doona at about 3:30am and slept comfortably.

On several occasions I have tried using higher fan speeds, but the effect was hardly noticeable except when we'd been out all day and had the A/C off. The added fan speed does bring the temperature down faster.

It has several improvements over our last unit, firstly the quiet running (I can actually hear the noise of the water flowing into the tank when it starts). The other most welcome improvement is the fact that it has a non clogging leak off system and water distributor, meaning that there are no problems with accumulation of salts necessitating a trip up onto the roof to clean and readjust the flow.

The secret to staying cool in these old stone houses is to start your A/C as soon as the weather begins to get hot, and do not allow the mass of the house to warm up.

Edited by Popeye