Ruffian

Islay Malts

59 posts in this topic

Oh yeah Hendricks is great. Keep meaning to try the Botanist given it's glowing reviews by a couple of people.

At risk of this turning into the Gin Thread (though it is about 40C outside currently) picked up a bottle of West Winds and found it quite enjoyable.  Cudos to this Islay thread as it has me researching spirits, a weakness and hobby for late night conversation and / or trivia!  

http://thewestwindsgin.com/the-story/

Overproof gins scare me, for obvious reasons. The 40% ABV bracket seems to have some choices, though.  Thumbs up to this local newcomer.  WA, more than iron ore..who knew?

ginstitution.jpg

Will check out the premium tonic as the Schweppes pisses me off.  How can it go flat in 30 seconds?  Outrageous!

Make sure your glasses are Howard Hughes clean. Even a tiny amount of detergent will cause flat drinks. I use schweppes and rarely have a glass go flat before I finish it.

Speed of drinking may also be of some importance here.

Oh and I think I have read something about different water sued for the ice being an issue for some people, I just put the gin and the tonic in the fridge and drink smallish glasses and thereby avoid the whole ice thing altogether. This does not work for any drink with coke in it as coke seems to change flavour with ice, don't really know why. I must do a blind tasting of that one day though. Coke poured onto ice (which is then removed compared to just cold coke).

Now that I think about it maybe the ice is causing the coke to go flatter and therefore taste different which I don't notice so much with tonic.

Had not considered a Howard Hughes level of detergent rinse for Happy Hour.  Clean water, clean towel.  Will employ, perhaps as early as tomorrow.

We should rename this thread to Spirits 'n Such.

At risk of this turning into the Gin Thread (though it is about 40C outside currently) picked up a bottle of West Winds and found it quite enjoyable.  Cudos to this Islay thread as it has me researching spirits, a weakness and hobby for late night conversation and / or trivia!  

http://thewestwindsgin.com/the-story/

Overproof gins scare me, for obvious reasons. The 40% ABV bracket seems to have some choices, though.  Thumbs up to this local newcomer.  WA, more than iron ore..who knew?

ginstitution.jpg

Will check out the premium tonic as the Schweppes pisses me off.  How can it go flat in 30 seconds?  Outrageous!

Hogarth was right. Give the masses beer to swill and keep the spirits for the adults.   ^_^

ps311961_l.jpg

Lagavulin 16 YO. The smokiest, peatiest Islay I've had in a while. Pulled it early from under the tree and had it with a fruit mince tart it has imbued me with a wonderful bonhomie for my fellow man. Stunning turnaround from my feelings in the crowded supermarket this afternoon.

Best malt whisky in the world goes to Tasmania. 

Single cask only so you can't actually buy it. 

Still, a bit of a coup.

Tasmania Distillery's Sullivans Cove takes world whisky title for single malt

A Tasmanian whisky has been named best single malt at the prestigious World Whisky Awards in London.

Tasmania Distillery's Sullivans Cove French Oak Cask took out the honour, judged against more than 300 other whiskies.

It is the first time a Tasmanian distillery has won the award, which has been dominated by Scottish and Japanese distilleries.

The distillery's Patrick Maguire says the award means everything to him.

"It's probably the world's biggest award you can win for whiskies," he said.

"The World Whisky Awards are run by the Whisky Magazine out of the UK; what they do is whisky, everything they do is whisky.

"If you can win that, you've made it. There's no doubt about it."

Mr Maguire says Sullivans Cove has been winning local and international awards for several years.

Previous winners:
  • 2013: Ardbeg Galileo (Scotch)
  • 2012: Yamazaki 25 year old (Japanese)
  • 2011: Yamazaki 1984 (Japanese)
  • 2010: Ardbeg Corryvreckan
  • 2009: Highland Pak 21 year old (Scotch)
  • 2008: Yoichi 20 year old (Japanese)
  • 2007: Talisker 18 year old (Scotch)

But he says this one will put the product firmly on the map and will be good for the entire Tasmanian industry.

"Tasmania is now is becoming recognised as one of the better whisky producing countries or areas, so it is a pretty major thing," he said.

"We are all very small producers, we are boutique producers and we have the luxury of being able to tweak things personally.

"So when we are running the still, they are not automatic systems, we actually run it from the heart if you like.

"So we cut our runs, manage our runs on the way it smells, flows, tastes. There is science behind it but we are not running computers that turn things on and off."

On the Gin front I tried a bottle of West winds Margaret River "The Sabre". Way less juniper than your standard gin. Still very herbaceous. Not bad but an acquired taste.

Just a thanks for this post Tor. Stood in bottle shop, armed with smart phone pointed at S&S and decided (by informed choice) to buy my first bottle of Laphroiag. Why did I wait so long you might ask? After trying it I am asking myself that same question.

Now just need to wait for the Scots to vote before I have another wee sup.

Ignoring all the special expressions I would go for:

Lagavulin; the king; but only a glass or two, water required.
Laphroiag a prince that can be drunk a few more
Ardbeg when you are a little angry
Bowmore when you are poor

not Islay but similar ish:

Scapa has more iodine and is your friendly uncle.
Talisker a bit sweeter

With those 6 any island lover would be happy I reckon. Buy more Scapa than you think. Non island drinkers will like it a lot.

Lucky guess from me TBH. blush.gif I don't play git fiddle either. I do play bagpipes however and I pour a little malt into the bag to inhale the fumes...

You're on. I'll get the 500 ml cask strength single barrel I saw and report back. Possibly tomorrow. smile.gif

Purchased a bottle of the Yamazaki last thursday. First time I have seen it in Dans Woden store. I bought the single malt of indeterminate vintage. 79 bucks. A not inconsiderable sum but nowhere near the cost of a good Islay. At 43% it is not to be trifled with. It is sweet and more Speyside (as expected) than Islay. Strong vanillin flavours and certainly not unpleasant. It reminds me that Japanese like balance and not any overwhelming single flavour. Compares favourably with the current new world (Aus and NZ) attempts. A fellow Islay devotee reacted similarly and asked if I had any Lagavulin? I did luckily.  :)

Can't find a better thread. 

Apparently 5 million in wine has gone missing. The whole wine investment thing where you buy wine sight unseen and store it in a "facility" and subsequently sell the wine smacks of a fractional system.

The company has a bank of wine. They have gone into receivership in 2013. The auditors move in and discover a 5 M shortfall. I am on the lookout for discount grange and hill of grace but I don't think I'll find any. Rather I suspect the stock they held has been oversold. Caveat emptor. 

Buy the wine yourself. Photograph it. Store it. Or else be scammed. Never count an asset unless you're holding it in your hot little hand.