Ruffian

Islay Malts

59 posts in this topic

This is the way to do it (whaddaya reckon Staringclown)...

http://www.sailscotland.co.uk/content/page.php?page_id=70&sub_id=64

Nuff said. :thumbsup:

Ooh yeah! (Of course you only want me along to do the driving :sadwalk:) Regardless I'm in. :)

I did a big tour of the islands and outer hebrides back in 89. It's a beautiful place. Most recently stayed in a hunting lodge near Glencoe for a week with 4 other friends. Huge place, deer heads and antlers everywhere. Giant kitchen, several lounges, and views of the loch and mountains. A haul of whisky garnered from the scotch whisky experience in Edinburgh. A boat would be the next logical step.

All this talk of malt - I had to get a bottle course. I settled on Ardbeg. 10YO 46% vol (cos I was angry - thanks tor) First time I've studied it. Not overly smoky/peaty but it's there. No seaweed. Really light caramel. Overall it's warming me and I'm warming to it.

Ooh yeah! (Of course you only want me along to do the driving :sadwalk:) Regardless I'm in. :)

Boooger off. You can only get me away from a tiller/wheel in a piece of Muvver Natures maelstrom where something up front is going to sh*t (dumping a non furling jib, kite or main comes to mind).

Without ice. Always.

Water is fine ... 'good' in fact, as it can open up the smoky/peaty deliciousness (as Tor mentioned above), but ice - or even iced water - closes them.

I've lucked upon a Auchentoshan cask strength but I preferred with a little ice. Must be a softy!

Quite sweet, not that peaty oil drum I long for...but I'll be back!

I've lucked upon a Auchentoshan cask strength but I preferred with a little ice. Must be a softy!

Quite sweet, not that peaty oil drum I long for...but I'll be back!

I reckon ice is OK with cask strength. As long as you drink it quickly. Where did you luck upon the booze? I'm owed a bottle from a recent birthday. :)

I reckon ice is OK with cask strength. As long as you drink it quickly. Where did you luck upon the booze? I'm owed a bottle from a recent birthday. :)

It was a gift; will report back after a look around for it on the Festive Booze Buying Spree.

Dan Murphy have it, I think I grabbed one a few weeks back, probably not the cask strength though. I find cask strengths usually are overpowering in the alcohol. Could be just that I am used to 40 odd %.

Dan Murphy has a good range. I almost bought the Auchentoshan but it's a speyside! Went for the Caol Ila distillers edition instead. 43% and finished in a muscatel cask. I will report back.

Dan Murphy has a good range. I almost bought the Auchentoshan but it's a speyside! Went for the Caol Ila distillers edition instead. 43% and finished in a muscatel cask. I will report back.

I bought a bottle the other day to make sure.

It's okay. Probably not something I would buy again if I remembered having bought it before.

Lagavulin 16 YO. Sends out messages to my extremities that everything's OK. And the extremities send back a confirmation. All's well. Pretty smooth all in all but you would expect as much with a whisky that has attained my own mental age. :)

Ardbeg Uigeadail (pronounced Oog-a-dal)

No age mentioned which was odd. 54% but surprisingly smooth for it. Aged in sherry casks. I did get raisons as the label suggested but no iodine and less smokiness than I like. Quite sweet too. A weird hybrid Islay/highland malt that would appeal to the novice.

Ardbeg Uigeadail (pronounced Oog-a-dal)

No age mentioned which was odd. 54% but surprisingly smooth for it. Aged in sherry casks. I did get raisons as the label suggested but no iodine and less smokiness than I like. Quite sweet too. A weird hybrid Islay/highland malt that would appeal to the novice.

The age isn't mentioned as it is a blend. Still a single malt but not from a single years product.

Ardbeg has only been re opened for a few years. What they did was use the existing 10yr old stock and blend it with scotch matured in a quarter cask. In the quarter cask the evaporation and flavouring progresses much quicker (more surface of cask to volume of cask). This does mean they can't call it "X yr old".

I _think_ that this is a sensible reaction to market forces. How do you predict the volume of scotch required in 10 yrs time? Laphroiag do this as well now (although not for the 10 yr old obviously).

I do feel you might not have been paying attention to the Factual bits of my travelogue and instead focussing on the more ludicrous elements :)/>/>

Some trivia; from memory Uigeadail is the name of the loch they get their water from. They have a pretty building too:

p1030204t.jpg

Yamazaki. Currently in heavy rotation here in the Dose Compound.

I was milling around some Bill M trivia online, post no bills and all that, started googling, went to bed. Next day went for groceries... popped into the D.Murphy's next door for a quick peek and whoa...

The Yamazaki.

bill-murray-0.jpg?w=500&h=375

Yamazaki. Currently in heavy rotation here in the Dose Compound.

I was milling around some Bill M trivia online, post no bills and all that, started googling, went to bed. Next day went for groceries... popped into the D.Murphy's next door for a quick peek and whoa...

The Yamazaki.

bill-murray-0.jpg?w=500&h=375

Not exactly Islay but I'm going to give it a go. 12, 18 or 25YO :)

Not exactly Islay but I'm going to give it a go. 12, 18 or 25YO smile.gif

Well, that whole I'm-peatier-than-you thing scares me a tad. Truth be told the only Islay I am at all familiar with is Bowmore. That fact it is a mere 40% elixir means I will probably be laughed out of this forum!

Single malts are interesting, though. I have a relative who may have 100(?) bottles of DIFFERENT single malts. He collects them more than drinks them. I am talking CRAZY cabinet.. The problem is at that magnitude you can't really compare them...once you get to the end of the list your tastes have changed!

He is pretty easy to buy for at Christmas...

Well, that whole I'm-peatier-than-you thing scares me a tad. Truth be told the only Islay I am at all familiar with is Bowmore. That fact it is a mere 40% elixir means I will probably be laughed out of this forum!

Single malts are interesting, though. I have a relative who may have 100(?) bottles of DIFFERENT single malts. He collects them more than drinks them. I am talking CRAZY cabinet.. The problem is at that magnitude you can't really compare them...once you get to the end of the list your tastes have changed!

He is pretty easy to buy for at Christmas...

I won't pull the peatier than thou until I've tasted. Dan murphy's in Woden didn't have it. So I bought Absinthe. They did have other Japanese whisky. Next time I'll bite the bullet. :)

Les Paul BTW. Cos I like rock not pop.

I won't pull the peatier than thou until I've tasted. Dan murphy's in Woden didn't have it. So I bought Absinthe. They did have other Japanese whisky. Next time I'll bite the bullet. smile.gif

Les Paul BTW. Cos I like rock not pop.

And that was the right answer! I was looking for "Telecasters are country" but the spirit is the same.

Disclaimer: I do not play guitar but did live with two members of a rock band in my 20's. And I love asking oddball questions (but ones that demand a side be chosen) to nervous candidates...

Bowmore 12yr is pretty pedestrian, I expect? I don't really know, I have little to compare against but for Dalwhinnie.

Proposal: You buy the Suntory Yamazaki and I'll get some similarly priced Islay. Notes to follow.

And that was the right answer! I was looking for "Telecasters are country" but the spirit is the same.

Disclaimer: I do not play guitar but did live with two members of a rock band in my 20's. And I love asking oddball questions (but ones that demand a side be chosen) to nervous candidates...

Bowmore 12yr is pretty pedestrian, I expect? I don't really know, I have little to compare against but for Dalwhinnie.

Proposal: You buy the Suntory Yamazaki and I'll get some similarly priced Islay. Notes to follow.

Lucky guess from me TBH. :blush: I don't play git fiddle either. I do play bagpipes however and I pour a little malt into the bag to inhale the fumes...

You're on. I'll get the 500 ml cask strength single barrel I saw and report back. Possibly tomorrow. :)

OK, here goes:

Laphroaig 10yr: poured 2 small glasses, one of the aforementioned, one of Bowmore 12yr and an additional glass of water for "cleansing".

I found the Laphroaig to be quite a bit tougher. Like it was wearing a lumberjack's jacket at the end of the bar or some such. More bite, more smoke...I preferred what I perceived to be the more urbane Bowmore.

But when I went for a top-up I went for the Laphroaig. Maybe you just need to get to know the fella? Cool old-school label on a green bottle which I go for, anyway. It is certainly good for pouring one for a novice ... when they wrinkle their nose you can shrug and get 'em a bundy and coke.

But that's just our conversation. Here is a contribution for everyone... Pronounce your whisky!

The Yamazaki.

It was in a bar I was at on Thursday and I tried it. Nice enough, reminded me of some of the sweeter lowland scotches (glenkinchie maybe?). Definitely well made and worth a try.

Unfortunately I do fall in the peatier than thou camp though.

Unfortunately?  I do not believe your situation to be poor fortune, but it is a risk reward decision that many dare not attempt.  Consider buying a $100 bottle that you might REALLY dislike, with a name you cannot possibly pronounce, from a place you've (likely) never been, compared against other "whiskeys" you have no sense of.  And they'll all make you legless.    Its like red wine, only the stakes are much, much higher.

I'm enjoying the Laphroaig enough that I will step up the peat ladder just to see what's there.  Brrrrrrrookladdy!  Yur UP!  

I must admit with my heritage the sweeter Highlands are more in my comfort zone.

I actually made yet another serious attempt to buy some Japanese malt t'other day. Not only did Dan Murphy not have the Yamazaki, but all other JP had disappeared from the shelves. All that was left was some Indian whisky. Amrut or something. It was a bridge to far. (no offence to India but whisky is about tradition as much as anything) I contemplated buying Tasmanian. I've heard good things about O'Sullivans Cove. But just then I spied Islay Gin. The botanist. No contest. 

Straight-up 10yr Ardbeg vs. 10yr Laphroaig tonight.   At 46% I struggled to get the water right but god help you if you start liking it without.

Laphroaig won potentially due to familiarity?  Damn there is a lot to know regarding all these malts!

But just then I spied Islay Gin. The botanist. No contest. 

What of this "gin" you say?  

As summer approaches Tonic Water again becomes of interest to me.  Should I be acquiring knowledge beyond the standard gins, as well?