zaph

median drops

59 posts in this topic

On 06/02/2019 at 10:10 AM, cobran20 said:

If you go for an NBN50 plan, that should be ample for playing video over the internet. The only issue should be how much bandwidth the ISP has purchased from the NBN as the speed slows down during peak times. The ACCC publishes a report on ISP's performance.

I think I'll go for the 25 plan. That should be enough and if I need more I can just pay more. 12 was always enough in my old place. 

Once I'm there i'm thinking of getting the residents together for a better deal.

5 hours ago, zaph said:

Just give me the price. Shell games I don't appreciate. 

You'll have to learn to 'appreciate' the game as each retailer has different plans, each with its own prices and conditions.

Retailers rely on the apathy of people who go with the 'default' plan, which usually attracts higher charges.

I use a spreadsheet to be able to properly analyse the various (electricity & gas) plans, so that I could compare 'apples with apples'. That included recording my previous 12 months usage and solar panel inputs. Simples!

For a single person, who may often eat out, it would probably not make much difference.

On 05/02/2019 at 6:43 AM, cobran20 said:

Vodafone's modem gives you 4G backup when the NBN doesn't work. I recently dumped TPG for Vodafone when I was without the NBN for one week.

I went with Vodafone; they seemed the cheapest. I went for the cheapest. $59pm

I'm a little concerned that it has back up for when the NBN doesn't work - but even their call centre operators used that language. It would have been more reassuring if they'd said IF the NBN doesn't work. I got them to knock $5 pm off my phone bill too - but I could have done that anyway I think. 

On 05/02/2019 at 6:47 AM, cobran20 said:

For electricity, I did research and then called Iselect. They got me a slightly better price and the operator spoke English so I went with their option. Charlatans the lot of them. 

One of the electricity companies told me there is only one company that services your area. Which I believed as the retailer is not just a biller - they actually have to deliver the bottles to the house etc and very few houses in Brisbane have anything running on gas. Not so - there are many gas people. El gas told me they weren't supplying gas to the house previously - I would need to see who's name is on the bottles and get them to take them away and then they could deliver it and set up an account. 

One of the bottles is stamped ElGas and the other Origin. One is full. One empty. So I'm just going to use up the gas that is there before I arrange a new supply. the gas will only be used for hot water. I won't be using hot water for a month or so here so one cylinder might get me through winter. 

9 hours ago, zaph said:

I went with Vodafone; they seemed the cheapest. I went for the cheapest. $59pm

I'm a little concerned that it has back up for when the NBN doesn't work - but even their call centre operators used that language. It would have been more reassuring if they'd said IF the NBN doesn't work. I got them to knock $5 pm off my phone bill too - but I could have done that anyway I think. 

Based on the experience of various friends in city and country/regional areas it will be a case of 'when' rather than 'if'.

On 25/02/2019 at 8:39 AM, cobran20 said:

Based on the experience of various friends in city and country/regional areas it will be a case of 'when' rather than 'if'.

When I picked up the keys to my new place the new sales agent gave them to me. He said he recently worked for Telstra on something NBN and it is sh*t. The NBN installer guy has been the most reliable so far of everyone I've dealt with in this purchase/moving process. He was due to install today somewhere 1-5. He rang Friday saying he was in the area and could be there in ten minutes if suitable - it wasn't. He turned up 1.5 hrs early today. 

Ran a speed test at 3pm - 10 MBPS on the 25mbps plan. Fast enough for me, but a bit of a joke. 

The electricity was due to be connected today 8-1. They told me it had been disconnected so they would need to send someone out. Turns out the power was never actually disconnected. No one turned up. On the phone to Manilla or Mumbai tomorrow for a few hours to sort out. 

Thanks for the tips.

10 hours ago, zaph said:

When I picked up the keys to my new place the new sales agent gave them to me. He said he recently worked for Telstra on something NBN and it is sh*t. The NBN installer guy has been the most reliable so far of everyone I've dealt with in this purchase/moving process. He was due to install today somewhere 1-5. He rang Friday saying he was in the area and could be there in ten minutes if suitable - it wasn't. He turned up 1.5 hrs early today. 

Ran a speed test at 3pm - 10 MBPS on the 25mbps plan. Fast enough for me, but a bit of a joke. 

The electricity was due to be connected today 8-1. They told me it had been disconnected so they would need to send someone out. Turns out the power was never actually disconnected. No one turned up. On the phone to Manilla or Mumbai tomorrow for a few hours to sort out. 

Thanks for the tips.

If the power was never disconnected, are you paying for the current usage or the previous owner/tenant? :)

58 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

If the power was never disconnected, are you paying for the current usage or the previous owner/tenant? :)

Me I'd say. Unless the old tenant failed to have it 'disconnected'. 

In QLD, and for a long time, the power is only actually disconnected between residents rarely - after it's been vacant for a long time. The power company just come and do a reading. After a long period it is physically turned off. When inspecting the agent said the power had been disconnected. When I took possession I discovered that the trip switches had all just been turned off. 

9 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Turns out the guy came, read the meter and left (seeing that it didn't need to be physically connected). Didn't bother to let me know though.

Filipino call centre operators get my vote for the worst. 

51 minutes ago, zaph said:

Turns out the guy came, read the meter and left (seeing that it didn't need to be physically connected). Didn't bother to let me know though.

Filipino call centre operators get my vote for the worst. 

Last time I moved homes, I was trying to get Telstra to have my phone connected on the day we were due to move in. To cut a long story short, I spent 'quality time' arguing with their Filipino call centre, followed by their Indian call centre, before I finally got it done when they escalated to their Australian call centre.

On 04/03/2019 at 9:20 PM, zaph said:

Thanks for the tips.

I've run a few speed tests and they'be consistently been around 10. This evening it's down to 2

10 hours ago, zaph said:

I've run a few speed tests and they'be consistently been around 10. This evening it's down to 2

Looks like you're enjoying that taxpayer value-for-money NBN experience. Now you know why I suggested you go on the NBN50 plan.

When 5G is released, I'd wait a year until the prices of the mobile plans come down and then see if it is better/cheaper to dump the NBN altogether.

12 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Looks like you're enjoying that taxpayer value-for-money NBN experience.

So far its been good actually for what I want. I haven't noticed any difference to naked ADSL.

Save the details, the govt did a great deal. They sold off the national telephony system. Then a decade or so later they said you can't use that system and created a new system.  Come the mid 2020's they'll sell off the NBN. Rinse and repeat.

There were some blindingly obvious problems with the whole idea of the NBN. 

Now you know why I suggested you go on the NBN50 plan.

I'm collecting the evidence for a ombudsman case. Why would I pay more for 50 when I can't get 25?

When 5G is released, I'd wait a year until the prices of the mobile plans come down and then see if it is better/cheaper to dump the NBN altogether.

Good luck!

46 minutes ago, zaph said:

Good luck!

Not as far fetched as may think. Unless you do a lot video streaming something like this Aldi data plan for $395 is Ok for most people. I'd expect the 5G plans to eventually offer a lot more for similar price. Certainly that has been the  trend over the last few years.

14 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Not as far fetched as may think.

It wasn't a sarcastic good luck with that, it will never happen comment.

How long till 5g is available to, say 50% of users, with I presume 4g back up on the one device? How long till devices are priced at similar levels to 4g ones?

Unless you do a lot video streaming something like this Aldi data plan for $395 is Ok for most people. 

Perhaps for a mobile device, perhaps. For a home net connection 20g a month is nothing. I don't think that's particularly cheap.

I'd expect the 5G plans to eventually offer a lot more for similar price. Certainly that has been the  trend over the last few years.

How long? I'd expect a couple of years. 

Then NBN will become faster and cheaper.

1 hour ago, zaph said:

Then NBN will become faster and cheaper.

Only if they keep writing down its value, which will further reflect the expensive waste.

4 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Only if they keep writing down its value, which will further reflect the expensive waste.

It's nation building!

6 hours ago, cobran20 said:

If I remember correctly the version of the NBN we got was the one the right wings nutjobs created right? I thought you were on their side?

More London grey skies perched upon the quavering lip beneath the foreboding brow....

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, tor said:

If I remember correctly the version of the NBN we got was the one the right wings nutjobs created right? I thought you were on their side?

More London grey skies perched upon the quavering lip beneath the foreboding brow....

If you become sober, you might remember that Krudd & Goose's orgininal cost estimate for the NBN was around $4bn. Actual cost about >10x.

Somebody had to reign in the black hole.

You are saying some people who's names you can't spell spent 40 billion on the project?

Are you super sure of that? Like really, truly?

Don't Let Facts Slow You Down Man, You're Doing AWESOME!

NBN was a stupid idea by Labor, stuffed up to perfection by the Libs.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Turkey said:

NBN was a stupid idea by Labor, stuffed up to perfection by the Libs.

I'm not sure why I'm forced to have something I don't need or want. Actually I do - forcing everyone onto NBN was the only way it was going to be remotely viable. 

On 3/10/2019 at 0:57 PM, cobran20 said:

Your link indicates someone other than the people who's names you can't spell wanted the money.

Are you sure that the deliberate hamstringing of the project by Abbott trying to kill Turnbulls reputation had nothing to do with it?

I mean the current 5G f*ckups don't seem to indicate they know how to do IT infrastructure to me.

Don't Get Scared Man, Your Internet Friends Are Here For You!! You Be You.